• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My thoughts on falcons and other pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig

Just picked up a falcon in a lot I got off the Bay. I haven't dove into it yet because I've been cleaning up some of the others, but you guys have peaked my interest!

Is there a tutorial around here for cleaning or polishing?? Mine seems to have taken some abuse...
basically elbow grease for the metal and a salt and alcohol bath for the bowl, when you actually smoke it, its basically kitchen roll round the metal humidome till all the goo is gone pipe cleaner or two down the stem and a wedge of kitchen roll in the bowl and twisted a few times to clean out the bowl and keep the cake growth from happening to fast.
every five or so smokes pipe cleaner dipped in whiskey,brandy or rum run it round the bowl and the same treatment for the stem and some kitchen roll with said spirit of your choice for the humidome

craig

My interest in this hobby is the tobacco, and I generally view a pipe as a tool to burn that tobacco. That being said, I like nice tools. Despite what we tell ourselves, we really could get by with just one or two good pipes - but for most of us here at PSF, I'd say that a good part of the hobby is collecting pipes. I've got more pipes than I could ever use, and recently I culled the herd down by about 50%, and now have about 20 or so pipes that I really like. Included in that is my Falcon system (stem and four bowls), and the Falcon easily gets 60% of my attention. It's just such a handy, practical system. It smokes pretty good, too.

I don't buy too many pipes anymore, mostly because I've got all the pipes I'll ever need. The exception to this is the Pete St. Paddy series. I buy one a year, and I just ordered a 2013 #408 St. Paddy. It's a straight Author style. No snobbery here, and no working class hero shtick either. There is just something about them I like. Mostly, I like Pete's take on the traditional style pipes, and this crosses over to their St. Paddy pipes. I also think that they offer a good pipe at a reasonable price. Their St. Paddy series strikes a good balance between attractive looks/styling, smokeability, and fair price - and I like being able to collect a limited production/collectable series pipe that smokes well and doesn't break the bank.
well said roy theres no getting away from it that peterson do put out good looking pipes at a fair price, and i have to admit that the petes i have seen do look stunning but i just like admiring them lol

Status
Not open for further replies.