My VERY First Smoke!!!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Old Frontier, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Well, my kit FINALLY came! I am very excited! , and I'm sitting here, smoking my first bowl, EVER! I got toung bite a few times, and it wasnt fun, but overall, not too bad. ;) The hardest part was lighting, and keeping it lit, but I have got down now. :)

My kit included:

-Newlook Italian Briar
    -Tobacco Galleria/Altadis Rum & Maple tobacco (Smoking right now)
    -Tobacco Galleria/Altadis Wild Cherry (Did not try yet... smells REALLY sweet... maybe too sweet???)
    Sutliff Private Stock; No. 5 Blend (Prolly my favorite, and in a cool tin. ;))
    -Pipe cleaners
    -Pipe Tool (Ugly, but works, lol)
    -Tobacco Pounch (kinda neat)
    -A "Smokingpipes.com" pin
    -Sticker
    -Pipe stand

Overall, I am HOOKED! Although the tobacco I recieved leaves a lacking sense, I loved it! Something that actually takes skill to master... sign me up! The tobacco I smoked was not all that bad, but smoked a little hot. Since the bowl on my pipe is pretty tiny, it only took me about 15 minutes to finish. All the tobacco smells great, although smoking-wise, I think I will like the deeper blends, instead of the sweet ones (Although the Aromatic I just tried was not bad at all). :)

Anyway, I am hooked on this fine art, and this forum EVEN more! I also want to thank all of you who helped me decide on what to get, and how to go about starting smoking! :D

2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Now that you are all jacked and happy and thrilled.. calm down..lol.. I know, right? Especially in a small bowl, its imperative that you smoke as slowly as possible.. Smoke each bowl like it'll be the last bowl of tobacco you will ever smoke.. dont worry about relights.. if it goes out.. let it.. only lightly light it back up.. use your tamper to keep it cooking more so then depending on puffing to do it. Put some time between your puffs.. do this till it's habitual and you will develop a cadence that'll keep your tongue in tact even when smoking the occasional bitey blend. Most importantly, relax and savor each puff.. Happy smoking!!

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Atta-boy!:appl:

Old Frontier likes this.
  4. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Thanks for the advice! I just cleaned my pipe, and packed my little leather pouch with the remaining tobacco by the rubber side, and put the pipe tool, and the pipe in the pouch as well for my next road trip (also put about 7 cleaners in as well). I did kinda smoke it faster, but I will be sure to take my time next time :D I'm ordering some more bulk tobacco after my other order gets here, and storing it for that rainy day. :)

user2725 and Darkly like this.
  5. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

BTW: My Missouri Meershaum literally JUST came in the mail! What a great day! :eek:

Darkly likes this.
  6. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Thank you good sir! :buds:

Darkly and Rewster66 like this.
  7. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

You'll def wanna get you a few cobs to start off a good rotation of pipes.

Old Frontier likes this.
  8. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

I got two legends, and a Country Gent. :)

9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

That'll getcha started.. My CG is one of my fav cobs..

Old Frontier likes this.
  10. Nate

Nate Member

Very cool Old Frontier!!! Enjoy! :D

Old Frontier likes this.
  11. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Thank you very much all! Right now I am enjoying my Cherry blend in my Miss. Legend :) I also purchased a Savinelli tevere 114 Briar... a real beauty. :) I am hooked on this fine art to say the least. With my new-found passion, I will be getting a couple good tobaccos exclusively for my better pipes.

12. The Dane

The Dane Member

Welcome onboard. Reading your enthusiasm was just sooooooo familiar. And this site is a world of information. But beware, it's a dangerous path you're going down on. No matter how many pipes you get, there is always one more you just gotta buy, The same goes for tobacco!!LOL

Old Frontier likes this.
  13. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

HA! Unfortunately, I am already under control of this art... and my Wallet knows it! :D

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great start for a rotation!
    Welcome to the wild ride of pipe smoking... Hang on to your wallet.. the TAD and PAD will grab a hold of it really fast...although, it does look like you've met that dilema.. LOL
    Congrats!!

Old Frontier likes this.
  15. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Welcome to the club and I am glad you are enjoying it so far. It sounds like you've got a great starter kit there.

Old Frontier likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Congrats! :puffy:

Old Frontier likes this.
  17. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Great post man! I got "back on the pipe" a few years ago after a long break. I have found that my smoking technique is still evolving, and though sometimes you'll find yourself thinking: "What did I do wrong?" more often you'll think; this is freaking sweet.

18. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

A few newbie tips:

"Good tobacco for better pipes". A good tobacco is one you enjoy. I've smoked several 4-5 dollar per ounce tobaccos that I don't like any better than the $1.75/ounce P.S. Luxury Navy Flake that is my go-to smoke.

"Better pipes" Are the ones that smoke to your satisfaction. I've had 9 or 10 briars in the $75.00 range (but bought cheaper on ebay as they were used pipes) and a couple of mid range meers that didn't smoke any better than my MM Diplomats (that happen to be natural finished). In fact, I got carried away and sold all but one briar and will sell my Paykock meer one of these days and I have 15 MM cobs. The natural Diplomats, Prides, Morgans (possibly available from the factory) and my Freehand are the best smokers for the tobaccos I smoke (va/vapers) the most. My most expensive pipe, a Nording pipe I owned 40 years ago, was the worst smoker out of the 20 or so briars I've owned. Never had a good bowl out of that one. IMO, briars are kind of a crap shoot. One of my best briars was a little $20 basket pipe. Probably should have kept that one.

I think most tobaccos come too moist for smoking and I dry all of mine before loading the bowl. I think too moist tobacco is a common cause of tongue bite and are the cause of poor burns with lots of re-lights.

Over tamping is the enemy and I think a common problem with new pipe smokers. You can always add more tamp but "untamping" is a problem.

Glad you're having a good time and welcome to the forum.

WyoBob

Darkly likes this.
  19. vibhakti

vibhakti Member

This does wonders for aromatics, in particular. If you feel like an aro is a little moist, let it dry out a bit. I find that they burn better, but the taste evens out and it's better this way. Lots of folks mentioned this in the recent Capt. Black thread somewhere on these forums, too.

As for over-tamping, I'm still working on that one.

Old Frontier, glad you're digging the cobs. They're a beginner's best-friend, though of course the more experienced folk will love them as well.

MrJarvis likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Those are all good blends ... I smoked the Rum and Maple earlier today and it was enjoyable . The No.5 blend is a good English . I'm not sure the Pipe takes skill to master as much as a little time is all . Just smoke .... in a little while it will become a brainless activity .. then you will have " arrived " . Wellcome and Enjoy !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.