1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Wining Bid of Four Wonderful Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by guitarist7242, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

I started a topic about week ago here about this Ebay bid.

My topic was moved to the Ebay link under "Pipes For Sale," but for some reason I could post any replies on it after it was moved. Well as it turns out, after the forum here helped me decide, I placed a bid on these pipes and won at the last second!

Only $96 USD for these four beauties.

I was going to make a separate topic after I couldn't post on my old one to reply to those that wanted to know if "one of their own" had won it or not. I decided against it because I wanted to receive them first and see if the purchase was worth it and to snap some pictures of my own. As it turns out $96 is definitely worth this purchase and I am very excited to smoke these.

The only problem is that I have never bought a used pipe before and was wondering if you all knew good ways to clean these before a first use. Luckily the previous owner was a classy smoker and the pipes already seem very clean, but I would just like to hear some feedback on further maintenance, especially with the Falcons.

You can see my new pipes here!

2. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Oh I was also going to ask on any restoration ideas for the Peterson's stem. As you can see in picture 18, it is definitely worn and looks old, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make it look new-ish again!

Thanks for the help and also I'd love to hear if you all think the purchase was worth it on these pipes. It was my first big purchase and I am definitely happy with it, but I can definitely take criticism :eek:hyeah:

3. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

And I do realize I spelled "wining" instead of "winning"

Fail on my part :xd:

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Depending on how chewed up that Pete stem is, soaking the tip in boiling water for a minute will bring the compression marks back up and flatten it out. This may "instantly" oxydize the tip and you might need to polish it after with some wax - or something like the Walker Briar Works stem polish kit (which wouldn't hurt anyhow).

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Well, I'm glad you won them, man! You still got a good deal...and for that price, you have yourself an instant rotation. I suggest you take Sasquatches' word on repair, he knows a thing or three about pipes.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Congrats on the win! That is
    a nice set. Worth the coin you
    paid for it. Enjoy them for
    many years to come!

dp

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I can tell one is a Pete and one is a Falcon, but what are the other two? If you are happy you got a good deal. Clean them with drinking alcohol and a pipe cleaner to sanitize them. You might need to ream the bowls. To polish the stems, i recommend Flitz polish. Also, there is a cloth available called Miracle cloth on ebay that does a great job in cleaning up a pipe.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Firstly congrats on your win!

With estate Falcons what I do is - check if the bowl threads are sound and if there is a noticeable ghost from previous tobaccos. If there is or if the bowl is heavily caked I ream it thoroughly than wipe the threads and the bottom of the bowl with alcohol, ditto the smoke hole at the base of the bowl.

I drop the stem unit into a bowl of boiling water ( the mouthpiece is nylon ) and leave for around 20 minutes then run pipe cleaners through until they come out clean. I then blow through the stem, leave it to dry and then run whisky soaked pipe cleaners through. Bear in mind that the mouthpiece and centre tube should never be taken apart. If there is still a ghost usually smoking PS CH or 5Brothers will clear it within a dozen smokes. If not then use salt and alcohol. The mouthpiece as I have said is nylon - if there are bite marks do not try to sand these out it will not work and you'll ruin it trying. If these worry you Falcon will replace the mouthpice and centre tube for £10.00 - email them for details.

If when you smoke the pipe initially or if the draw seem restricted and slightly noisy later on then you'll need to open up the smoke hole with a file, sandpaper wrapped dowel or the Old Codger trick if using a pair of kitchen scissor - proceed with caution!

Many happy years with your new pipes!

Gerry

9. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Well I just ran into a big problem.

I decided to clean the pipes with this pipe sweetener I bought at a local tobacconist. It is just alcohol and a few other things, but the problem is that it has a hint of pale green. Now I cleaned my Grabow with this may times and there was no problem. But when a cleaned these four with this cleaner, I was not especially careful and got some on the outside of the stems and bowls. I did not think this was a big idea until it dried a pale green. Now almost my entire Peterson stem looks pale green to white and the tops of my falcon bowls have some areas that it looks like the finish has rubbed almost all the way off!

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can fix it? Is it as simple as just buying Walker Briar Works stem polish kit like Sasquatch recommended? Or did I permanently damage these new pipes? :startle:

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

They're NOT new pipes - that's the point.

All you did was strip the wax on the stems and reveal that they are oxydized, which happens over time. There's a hundred treatments, some are more permanent than others. I'd sand the stems at 600 grit, buy the walker kit, and shine 'em up to black again.

Or get a buffer, buffing wheels and some tripoli and carnauba.

11. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

How about the bowl of the Falcons? Can I restain them or anything? If so how?

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You may not have to...if the alcohol reacted like I think it did, it only took off the wax...some Carnauba wax like Walker's should cover it back ok. Problem is, I'm not sure. I haven't purposely or accidentally stripped finish off before. If the sweetener had time to soak into the dye, it may change the color a bit. Any fix there is beyond my knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.