1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Mystery Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have a few pipes marked "Reject - London Made" that are actually nice pipes. Does anyone here know anything about pipes that marked that way?

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

...nobody knows anything on the origin or history of these pipes?

3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I just cant seem to picture them in my mind...... a picture might help:haha:

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I just don't think posting a photo will aid here. It's the markings on the pipes I'm interested in knowing more about. They could very well be Charatan rejects, or Dunhill. I have four altogether . Very well made pipes with slight cosmetic flaws. All marked: Reject - London Made.

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Belway and Hardcastle come to mind as potential "london reject" pipes. But there are a million others.
    Are there any hallmark stamps other than the words "london reject"? Perhaps a factory (Cadogan?) stamp somewhere?

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Not that I can find, Spill. Perhaps I should photograph them. I know they are quality pipes, despite minor cosmetic flaws. One is a dead ringer for a Charatan. The other, a Dunny.

Spillproof likes this.
  7. Spillproof

Lots of incestuous stuff happened in the world of English pipes. Cadogan stamp.. Circled L stamp... Those would be giveaways.

Stonewall likes this.
  8. Spillproof

Charatan was purchased by Lane, so was Ben Wade. Lane later sold them off to Dunhill. Dunhill "Seconds" went to Parker. Parker "seconds" went to Hardcastle. Hardcastle "seconds" went to....

I only know a little because of my interest in Ben Wades. But there literally hundreds of sublines from other makers as well...

Stonewall likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I will try to post some detailed photos tomorrow before I go to work. I honestly find myself so happy with them I look for more all the time. Wherever they originate or whomever manufactured them, I'm really interested in knowing.

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.