N cravings, advice needed...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ozimodo, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozimodo

Ozimodo New Member

Hi all,

I'm about four weeks into my pipe journey and my experience wrt nicotine addiction is different to most other posters here, and I'm wondering why...

Problem is, with the exception of erinmore flake every pipe tobacco I have tried has left me feeling light headed and irritable the next day. The flake is fine however, I have my one bowl a night and the next day I'm fine. The tobaccos that didn't work are amphora, mclellands drama and samsun. The amphora was first, I can tell right off that it was going to end badly, it tastes bright somehow, like ciggies. I imported the mclellands specifically because they were low in N but they were no better. So now I have a growing collection of barely used tobaccos that I can't use...

Can't complain, I enjoy the flake and will be content with my daily pipe. It keeps me away from the cities which was the intent. It would have been nice though to experiment with different vaccines, seems like its half the fun :)

I am an ex ciggie smoker (6 months cold), and I try not to inhale. I'm think it's more the tobaccos than the technique but who knows? I notice the flake is a mix of virginia and burley while the amph also has Kentucky and Oriental and the mclellands have Oriental and Turkish, maybe it's the type of tobacco? I guess buying some straight virginia and burley would putbthatbtheory to the test but the range in Oz is really poor, it would have to be imports and I'm reluctant to keep investing in stuff that I can't use...

Any ideas???

2. Ozimodo

Ozimodo New Member

Meant to say, keeps me away from the ciggies, not the cities !!!

Damn speel chek

3. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Some English blends still get me lite headed, so might be the baccy. When possible, just might wanna try out your theory. Stay with virginia and burley, but try a different make. Good luck!

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I always keep a little RYO around for times when I need a fix quickly and don't feel like messing with a pipe and tobacco.

orto likes this.
  5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Burley tobaccos have the highest nicotine content, while Virginia blends tend to bite more due to the high sugar content. If you are inhaling at all, your" N" intake is much higher than with a cigarette. You will probably need to build a tolerance to this. Most pipers get their nicotine absorbed through the membrane in the mouth....a slower sneakier intake than the SLAM! you get from inhaling. Try getting a MM country gentleman....small bowled cob. This should cut down on the overall amount you're smoking and let you build your tolerance. Also try Va dominant blends.....smoke SLOWLY! This will keep the tobacco from biting and help you avoid inhaling.

6. raf66

raf66 Member

Yeah, I had always thought that Burleys have higher nic than other blends. Maybe everyone reacts differently to nic content in different blends.

I'm a little surprised that an ex-cig smoker (wherein the goal is typically to get as much nic as possible) would be bothered by the nic in pipe smoke. Heck I have a pretty varied collection of tobaccos in my cellar and I often find myself going for the blends that are supposed to have MORE nic, only to realize that even those blends don't satisfy a nic craving I may be having. I'm not trying to sound facetious but some of us (ok, me) would love to have your problem, unless of course your body reacts poorly to nicotine, in which case it would suck to have your problem.

I understand that you're not overly excited to plunk down a bunch of hard earned cash for tobaccos that you're not sure you'll even like. That's a problem many of us share. There are lots of helpful lads on here that can steer you in the right direction as far as different blends to try. I'd also suggest visiting www.tobaccoreviews.com for some guidance as well.

Good luck and welcome to the fold.

7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm an ex cig smoker and like raf66, I prefer the stronger tobaccos, so I can feed the nic habit without inhaling. My nic habit is strong enough that I can inhale most pipe tobaccos without getting light headed, at all. But, the whole point of this is to get away from inhaling and reducing some of the demands of the nic habit.

DO NOT INHALE. That might end your problem right away. The nic hit comes on slower this way and that makes a big difference to the nature of the habit after as while. Stick with that until you've gotten used to getting your nic intake slower. Then, oddly enough, you will find you can go longer between bowls without feeling edgy. The inhalation habit is your first enemy.

orto likes this.
  8. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Your getting nicotine into your system because your avoiding the first-pass effect, bypassing your liver as the smoke enters directly into your arterial system by way of your mouth. It's just that you possess about half a tennis court of entry vessels in your lungs, versus a tennis ball sized surface area in your mouth.
    Advice: don't make any more nicotine receptor sites than you want to feed on a daily basis.
    Advice: Think like our friend Slick Willie; "yes I smoked, but I didn't inhale."
    :eek:

Basil Meadows likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.