Naptha poisoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a Zippo pipe lighter to light my pipes up until last friday. I was plagued with what I could only describe as: "Naptha mouth" A persistant chemical taste that bothered me all afternoon, regardless of what I drank, or chewed up in an attempt to neutralize it. I'm wondering if this is from the Zippo fluid, because I can think of no other cause for it. I also just recently pulled the wick out further, to get a larger flame, so I wouldn't have to puff like an olympic swimmer just to get a char light.
I went to my tobacconist, and purchased a Vector butane lighter, and the chemical taste has since abated, but it still lingers just a tad.

Anyone else had this issue? Or am I flat out bonkers?

Cheers
RF

Falconeer

Hi,

Been using standard Zippos for my pipes as long as I can remember and never had this - many people swear by the new Zippo fluid saying it has much less taste than the old stuff, but I can't honestly say I've ever tasted petrol strongly. I do use the new Zippo fluid when I can get it though as it doesn't evaporate as quickly as Ronson or Swan in the summer.

Hope you find a cure,

Gerry

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Luckistrykes said:
as i thought all zippos were a no go with the pipe
No lighter is perfect but a Zippo (pipe lighter) will never char a rim - darn near impossible unless you're trying to.

atlharp

I don't use a Zippo, but I have had huge success with these.

Refillable, durable, and disposable. Not bad for a couple of bucks...

ATL

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I have 3 zippos that I use. 2 with pipe inserts and the other has the regular insert. I can light up just as good with the regular insert.

ddandb

atlharp said:
I don't use a Zippo, but I have had huge success with these.

Refillable, durable, and disposable. Not bad for a couple of bucks...

ATL

What's the brand name and where do I find them? Thanks

I've been using a Vector butane lighter for 3-4 days now, and have noticed an improvement, or at least a lack of recurrence of the chemmouth feel. The Vector also lights the pipe much easier and faster as well, I think I'll stick with it.

gustaf

You should rinse your mouth out with vinegar 3 times a day until it is gone. Vinegar cures almost anything; even hemorrhoids.

jvande7

ReaganFan said:
I have been using a Zippo pipe lighter to light my pipes up until last friday. I was plagued with what I could only describe as: "Naptha mouth" A persistant chemical taste that bothered me all afternoon, regardless of what I drank, or chewed up in an attempt to neutralize it. I'm wondering if this is from the Zippo fluid, because I can think of no other cause for it. I also just recently pulled the wick out further, to get a larger flame, so I wouldn't have to puff like an olympic swimmer just to get a char light.
I went to my tobacconist, and purchased a Vector butane lighter, and the chemical taste has since abated, but it still lingers just a tad.

Anyone else had this issue? Or am I flat out bonkers?

Cheers
RF

You took too much man :hippie:

Once during an acid trip I had trouble swallowing and it didn't go away for months (the swallowing thing, not the trip).

Only users lose drugs.

jvande7

gustaf said:
You should rinse your mouth out with vinegar 3 times a day until it is gone. Vinegar cures almost anything; even hemorrhoids.
My buddy rinses with hydrogen peroxide and swears by it. Says it tastes awful but cleans your mouth somethin' fierce. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.