Navy Cavendish vs. Blockade Runner

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bri2k, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

From what I've read, McClelland's Navy Cavendish and Cornell & Diehl's Blockade Runner are the only two Navy Cavendish blends available in the U.S. I've got an open tin of McClelland's Navy Cavendish I've been enjoying working my way through slowly. I was wondering if any of you have tried Blockade Runner and McC's Navy Cavendish and can give me a comparison. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending the money to get some Blockade Runner the next time I order some tins.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts.

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for the great tip, Dondi! :roflmao:

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Ok now that I've smoked my way through at least a tin of each, I feel I can provide useful information for anyone looking for good Navy Cavendish.

Both C&D Blockade Runner and McClelland Navy Cavendish are outstanding smokes in their own way, but very different.

Blockade Runner comes in blocks (surprise), some as large as two Bic lighters laid on top of each other. Navy Cavendish is in broken flakes and the consistency of them varied a little between tins.

My first smoke of Blockade Runner was done using the cannonball method as the tobacco was rather moist straight from the tin. After a couple of days back in the tin with the plastic lid replaced, the tobacco dried enough to be rubbed out, which to my mind is the best way to enjoy it. The rum flavor which is a big part of this blend was completely lost to me when cannonballed. Rubbed out, it was a different story and the rum was quite noticeable and delicious. Be forewarned, Blockade Runner is a very robust smoke, definitely not for sissies!

The milder of these two is without a doubt, McClelland's Navy Cavendish. While not as strong, it tasted a bit more complex. The mellower tobacco seemed to allow more flavors to become apparent. Along with the rum there was also a slight sweetness I found very pleasant. Oddly enough, this one lacked the vinegar/ketchup note most McClelland blends are known for. The Navy Cavendish was also rubbed out and after two tins, I've yet to find the flakes in a condition that would allow the fold and stuff method to work very well. Neither blend bit me and both smoked fine after a charring light and a couple of re-lights.

Both Blockade Runner and Navy Cavendish are excellent blends worth trying and they might earn a spot in your rotation. If you want a strong smoke, go with the Blockade Runner. If you prefer a lighter, more nuanced smoke, get some Navy Cavendish. Either way, you'll have a tobacco that harkens back to the days of sailing ships and brave seafarers who were always glad to have good tobacco and a fine pipe at the ready.

5. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

Thanks for the comparison I enjoyed reading that. I've considered ordering Blockade Runner recently but from what you've described it sounds like the Navy Cavendish would be right up my alley, I think I'll try that first and then Blockade Runner sometime later.

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've been meaning to pick up a tin of Blockade Runner for over a year, but every time I put a TAD order together it always ends up cut for something else I'm dying for. Too many blends, far too little money.

7. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Thanks for the comparison. I have both and never thought of it. I agree 100%. Blockade is rummy and wonderful. Navy Cavendish is a little lighter, more complex and tasty. I like Blockade Runner better, but that is just my taste buds taking. I think it is great in the morning with a strong cup of coffee.

One thing about the Navy Cavendish is that I normally smoke it in a Peterson Kapet 68 that is dedicated to aro's. I recently tried it in a cob. OH MAN! Did the whole profile change. If you have never tried it in a fresh cob you should. I don't think you will be let down. Funny though, Blockade Runner tasted better to me in the Pete.

Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.