Navy Flake Question?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

OK, so you veteran pipe smokers know the trick on how to re-moisturize yer tobacco by taking a napkin, getting it wet, wringing it out & taping it to the underneath of your Humidor lid & leaving it for 24 hours. Some do apple slices but I've done that & some of the tobacco wont even light, so I didn't do it again, but the napkin trick worked.

ANYWAY, my question is for the Navy Flake fans out there:

Do you think I'd be ruining my navy flake (Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake) if I moistened a napkin with Jamaican Rum & left it there for 24 hours? Maybe 12? Or, would I be improving my flavor? I think I'm going to put a few flakes in a seperate jar & do it to them & see what happens. My guess it that it would add a sweetness to the tobacco, BUT there would be an element of spiciness that would bring out whatever little perique is in the flake itself. We'll see, I just wondered how you guys would weigh in.

I'm going to try it w. 4 flakes, that's 2 smokes, I use 1 1/2 flakes per smoke, so I'll try it w. 2 smokes worth & see how it goes, I'm simply askin if you guys think this is something you'd do or try or is the flake good enough for ya as is? =) Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Jason

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Without direct contact with the leaf, I'm afraid that most of what will reach the tobacco will simply be vaporous water and alcohol, with little of the actual rum flavor getting it's way in there. Many tobaccos are flavored with direct contact with some amount of spirit, allowing the flavorful byproducts of the aging/flavouring process (these are at least ALMOST always dark, aged spirits like rum, whiskies, or brandy, or else flavoured liqueurs like Grand Marnier or Irish Mist) to stay behind on the leaf after the bulk of the water and alcohol evaporate off. Basically, when the moisture evaporates from the napkin it will mostly just be water and alcohol, and you'll end up with rehydrated tobacco and a rum flavored napkin.

It shouldn't ruin your tobacco, but it will PROBABLY be a waste of your rum.

3. Albert

Albert Active Member

I love all these little experiments we see on here, except ddandB's tobacco tea...R.I.P. give it a whirl and throw in a bit o' the scientific process, by running a control experiment side by side. one with rum and one with h2o. report back! :toast:

im sure dwaugh could hook you up with some nifty graphs and formulas and such to make it look like more legit :byg:

4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

DARN, ok, that makes sense. So perhaps a spray bottle w. rum & spray the flakes?

5. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Apparently I'd be wasting rum because all that would be soaked up is alcohol & water from the rum, but no flavoring. One person said, direct contact, so I'm thinking a spray bottle set on mist & squirt-spray em w. rum & let the beauties sit for a week?

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

I wouldnt totally agree with that assumption. I mean when you smell rum. it smells like rum. Thats whats evaporating. and most of what we taste is smell related. I would try both scenarios. The pursuit of knowledge is never a waste...well maybe of rum lol:buds:

dwaugh and jason1977 like this.
  7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

But the napkin might be quite tastee.....then again may not. Don't smoke the napkin! ;)

Ed
    Puff

jason1977 likes this.
  8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I will be careful not to smoke the napkin. I agree with the notion that if I can smell rum, then so can my flakes. SO, here is my NAVY FLAKE EXPERIMENT:

I am going to take a jar & put 3 flakes in the jar & do the rum napkin thing & let it sit for 24 hours. I will also put 3 flakes in another jar after spraying them lightly on both sides with a spray bottle on a mist setting. 3 flakes is 2 smokes at 1 1/2 flakes a smoke. SO, I will have one smoke for initial impressions & a second for reflection.
    The jar w. the sprayed / direct contact rum I'll let sit for a few days to allow proper soaking & infusion. Then I'll try it & see if they're good, bad, ugly, the same, one's better than the other, etc. One person said, just put a shot glass in the jar, & put the flakes around it.

Anyhow, I can risk 6 flakes. I didn't want to taint the entire 1 pound of navy flake, LOL! So, yeah. I will keep you all posted!

albot9 likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Remember though that while the human sense of smell is much less powerful than that of many animals, and one of our less useful senses in this day and age at least from a Darwinist perspective, it is still among the most accute senses we've got. When you smell something, you're usually picking up infinitesimal traces of the substance - micrograms of material floating through the air. You can be thankful the quantity is so little when you consider what is actually happening when you walk into a foul-smelling washroom....

Okay, so take that and compare it to the aroma of rum. Lots of alcohol in there, obviously...but also (depending on the rum in question) the burnt sugars, the traces of whiskey barrels (thats what rum is usually aged in), etc. The alcohol has a really mild smell, but is present to a much larger degree than those other smells which are stronger but less concentrated in the aroma. Now consider how little of ANY of that is in your nostrils at a given time....think of how long it takes a shot to evaporate, for instance......

Sure, there will be some traces of the more flavorful components in the vapor, but I would still be willing to bet this will not translate to a significant change in flavor of the final flake. Though, this is SIMPLY a guess based on what little I do know.

Very interested to hear about your results!

10. Albert

Albert Active Member

Points taken nesta. it may take much longer than 24 hrs to transfer any taste notes with the slow evap. we shall see what happens...

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The ex-problem-drinker in me is quite anxious to know what kind of rum is being used for the experiment :)

I'd go for Cruzan Black Strap Navy rum for this if it were available (don't sell it in Ohio though) or else just something simple like Myer's Dark or Gosling's Black Seal....if you wanna get all fancy pants though there is always room for Ron Zacapa 23

12. Albert

Albert Active Member

I always thought Meyers Dark would be a great tobacco top dressing.

13. MarkC

MarkC Member

I think after reading this I'm going to have to have some rum tonight.:byg:

Mark

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Might be. I'd probably try something sweeter....but then again, I don't know how the commercial folks do it, so maybe sweetness isn't important much. I do know tons of blends specify use of Jamaican rum, and it's almost always going to be dark rum I'd think....so probably a lot of them do use it!

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I don't think you'll do much but waste some rum, Jason. Last year, I liberally sprinkled rum on some tobacco. I smoked a bit as soon as it dried and the rest was either aged six months or is still aging. I could detect a slight rum flavor right away and it was very faint in the stuff that aged six months. I decided while the experiment was hamless, the rum would've been better spent on my liver.

YMMV.

Bri2k

16. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum Special Reserve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.