Need some pipe ideas

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by user2453, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

Hello everyone. Been a while since I posted but have had a lot of health problems lately. Back injuries among other things. Any how I picked up my stand alone pipe today(Peterson Donegal) and proceeded to sample some of the tobacco I received from a sampler I traded for from a member at snuffhouse.org. I have a pound and nine ounces now of a mix of English, Virginia latakia, Virginia, perique, straight Virginia, English and aromatic blends. I believe there are a few orientals in there as well.

My only problem is I own one pipe and I would like to smoke more often than once daily. I don't have the money right now to put on an expensive briar so I was looking for some suggestions or input. I placed a bid a Missouri Meerschaum cob on ebay but am sure I will be outbid by tomorrow when the listing ends. Lots of cheaper estate pipes on ebay but I am not sure what to look for. I would like to keep the total bill under $40. Are cobs a good way to go? Also I am living in a limited space now, a small bedroom in my parents house holds all of my goods. My pipes currently rest on a closet shelf but I read that it may be better to let them sit stem up. How many of you use a pipe rack?

Tonight I tried a bowl of Soulmate by patton, and quadruple virginia by patton. I enjoyed the soulmate the most. The straight virginia blends may not be to my liking. It left a real strong aftertaste. The bowl did not smoke as well as the oriental blend. It was still tasty and I plan on finishing the ounce sample. I have yet to try any of the aromatics I received but am going to as soon as I have another pipe. I have been using the Peterson for English and virginia tobaccos only.

I also found a place called stehrling tobaccos online and they are sending me a sample of on of their blends. Anyone know or like these peoples tobaccos?

Thank you for reading my long post.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Get a few MM Corn Cobs, problem solved!

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

As Lestrade said, the MM Cob can be the way to go. I am not sure if you've got any B&M's nearby. If you do, some of the MM Cobs go for around 4 bucks. It all depends on the type of MM.
    Ebay has plenty of deals for your price range. I've seen some Kaywoodies, Dr. Grabow and some Seconds go for under 20.

Spaceboy Tim and Archer like this.
  4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've won a few kwoodies on eBay for less than $20 with shipping. Also dr grabow's aren't bad either. You can usually find em new for $20-30. Next time you're at the drug store check for a cob too. Believe it or not theyre still selling em.

5. TheEther

TheEther Member

Duuuude.. Cobs for sure! Ya know they may not be as romantic as a $100 pipe.. but frankly they smoke JUST as well as my very best $$$ pipes..

Best thing about Cobs, is if you lose one, darn, you're out 5-10 bucks!

How about this amazing MM Cob for $2.50? I lean toward the naturals over the varnished anyway.
    http://www.marscigars.com/corncob-missouripride.aspx

If you find yourself not liking the stem that comes with it.. you could buy a vulcanite stem (and straighten it if you wish with a heat gun) from Aristocob for 8 bucks..

http://aristocob.com/REPLACEMENT-VULCANITE-RUBBER-BIT-ONLY-Bent-Freehand-Bit-B6-P664766.aspx

6. user2453

user2453 Member

Nice recommendations thanks. I picked up a MM cob on the bay for 8 bucks shipped and an oak pipe rack for 15 shipped. Im now bidding on a savienelli system bent rustic for 42 dollars my max is 50. That's over my budget but I figure that will keep me going for a while. That system pipe is brand new btw, I hope I win!
    Going to be smoking the golden nugget blend by Patton tonight. What is deer tounge doing in a tobacco?

7. user2453

user2453 Member

Also with a couple of the patton blends virginia/burleys I get a little trouble smoking them to the bottom of the bowl. Bowl needed a few relights and I end up throwing away 15-20% of the bowl because it is a soggy mess. I am using the three stage packing method which has worked well for other blends. These seem to be on the dry side so maybe just smoking slower would help. These blends are really good by the way.

8. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Just going to reiterate whats already been said. Local drugstore should have $5 +/- cobs to get you going...

telltime likes this.
  9. user2453

user2453 Member

Yes good advice. I bid on a few ebay estates and lost. But now have two MM cobs and am breaking one in now. Thanks for the advice.

10. ichabod

ichabod Member

If you're looking for estate pipes and aren't having luck on ebay try etsy, I have found a couple estate pipes pretty cheap. Just keep an eye out and some really nice ones will show up at good prices.

Here, just did a search and found this estate jobey freehand. $20. It has a crack but the seller seems to think the pipe is still in good smoking condition...and from the looks of his other stuff he might know what he's talking about...maybe.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/8632943...to=US&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

11. user2453

user2453 Member

Thanks I didn't think of etsy. I'm actually fairly impressed with the MM cob I picked up today at walgreens. Smoked a couple 1/4 bowls and a full bowl and had no problems. A few relights and a shorter smoke than usual but it worked out nicely. Ill keep a look out on etsy but now that I have 3 pipes I consider quality smokers, I can work towards a pipe I really want, and not just one that saves me dollars. I'm sure it will be rough I've been checking out pipes online for a week now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.