1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Need the infinite knowledge of the site once again

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cigarmonkey21, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

I am looking for a calabash the fancy Sherlock holmes style doesn't have to be African gourd and also a good quality meerschaum pipe. If anybody has either, both, or a retailer that they love to support or name drop. PLEASE let me know. Will do cash or trade.

2. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

What is your budget? $50? $500?

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Y'know, a good quality gourd will almost certainly have a meerschaum cup. Depending on your cash flow and wishes, you could kill two birds with one stone.

4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Well, for meers, IMP has been my go to (I know SmokingPipes.com carries them, and I'm sure they can be found elsewhere). I've also learned recently about Altinok. Don't own one yet, but it's on my list. I've been hearing wonderful things. They have their own website and you can order direct from them.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Lots of people seem to be looking for calabash gourd pipes these days. The pricing reflects that. Fikri Baki is flirting with the $1000 mark for one of his, although he has some for half that much.

If you want a gourd pipe, I'd check the Stambach website. You can probably pick up a new one for around $200. Check with Steve Books at www.houseofcalabash.com. He was going to carry those at one time - not sure if he ever picked up the line.

Finally, check Ebay for an estate piece.

Non-gourd calabash pipes are all over the place. If you wanted a meerschaum shaped like a Sherlock Holmes pipe, look no further than www.altinokmeerschaumpipes.com. They have one I've been lusting over for a long while. They also have mahogany calabashes for around $120 and up, depending on size.

6. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

Thanks guys. Have some bids on eBay right now for gourds and also like the calabashes on altinok. Will check the other sites later.

7. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

I may have come off a little abrupt here but it's really going to determine where to look. As with most things, once you trim out the con-artists, you get what you pay for.
    Anyway, I'll throw this out there:
    If you want an excellent value for money new gourd, you can't beat this.
    As for a regular meer: new pipes from Altinok, Ural (Fikri Baki), IMP and Peterson are all worth having.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.