needing help with tobaccoo

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by sharky1982, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharky1982

sharky1982 New Member

I new to this forum. But I go to my local pipe shop where the make there own blends. I smoke something they call black and blue. It is great my fav. I asked what I could do if something ever happenedto the shop or I moved. So the blend I smokes is heavy on black cav but is smooth and burns well. Not to hot. They said maybe the closest thing is captain blak royal. Though it would not be that close. Anyone here know of a otc that is heavy on black cav and still smooth. It does not seem to have any cherry. So maybe something better then captain black royal but better quality? Any input would be very helpful.

2. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Sutliff makes several and sells them at reasonable prices. Here's a few I reviewed in case any interest you. Molto Dulce is probably the best and certainly the most popular of them.

Molto Dulce:
    A black cavendish smoker's delight. It's crackles as it burns if you don't dry it first, and can leave some goop, too. I prefer to dry it out first. There's a pleasant vanilla, carmel, slightly buttery, molasses, honey taste that is consistent throughout the smoke. The vanilla flavor is the main player here, as is usually the case in this kind of blend, and I detect a light licorice note or two. It's a little sweeter than I prefer, but if you are a BC smoker, you'll become addicted to this and forget most of the other BC blends. As for the room note, well, if you're single, you may not be for long if women smell the wonderful aroma this mixture produces.

Black Swan:
    A very pleasant no frills mild black cavendish blend, though it may need a little drying time. It doesn't have a wide variance of flavors, but it does have an honest vanilla flavor supported by a very light fruit prune note, and the sense of eating sweet baked goods. The room note is so pleasing, your friends might start looking for where you hid the cake. If you want more subtlety of flavors, try Molto Dulce. But if you're looking for a working man's black cavendish blend with a consistent taste that doesn't have the chemical taste of the routine drug store BC's, this is worth trying.

Tabac Noir:
    Another black cavendish blend that has a toned down mellow vanilla taste, though I get a light honey note, too. This is one of the mildest bc blends I've ever smoked in terms of flavors and sweetness. It's also drier than your usual bc blend, so you need to take your time smoking it or it may burn hot. It get sweeter as you smoke it down, and near the end, I get a light fruit note. For people looking to smoke a less intense black cavendish.

Navigator Blend: Being a black cavendish blend, it should come as no surprise that vanilla is the star flavor here, albeit a mild one. Burns very smooth and cool with few, if any relights, with mellow consistency. There is a little blackened Virginia and aged maduro in the mix with a light alcohol topping, and some chocolate notes. It was designed to be a match for the old Argosy Black blend, and comparisons may vary as to how close it is to AB, which I've never smoked. Either way, this is a solid entry into the black cavendish genre.

Old Vienna: A rich aromatic with a smooth vanilla and cognac tang. The burley undertones are just noticeable, but become a little more obvious when the tobacco has dried. They add slight earthy notes. The tobacco was a little moist when I opened the tin, but it did not hamper the burn rate or leave any goop at the bottom of the bowl. It's not a very complex blend, but it has a pleasingly sweet and consistent flavor that's between mild and medium in strength, and medium in taste. Smells as good as it tastes.

3. sharky1982

sharky1982 New Member

Now are these sold in most shops or over the net. The first one sounds about right too.

JimInks likes this.
  4. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Some B&Ms carry them. So does Pipes&Cigars and Smoking Pipes on the 'net. Check the Sutliff Private Stock series.

5. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

You should know that in today's world, it is super rare that your local tobacconist actually blends their own blends. It is far more common for them to buy a well known bulk tobacco from one of the major brands (Lane, Sutliff, Macbaren, McClelland, Peter Stokkebye), and simply slap their custom name on to it. If you see large bulk bags of tobacco behind the counter, this is most certainly the case.

If the blend is similar to Captain Black Royal, you might want to try Lane's 1Q. It's one of the most popular blends throughout the US, and is quite often re-labeled by tobacco shops with their own name. It's said to be similar (but perhaps not fully identical) to Captain Black Royal. Both are made by Lane Limited.

If you are instead looking for something that is all Black Cavendish (Captain Black Royal, and 1Q are both mixes of golden and black cavendish), take a look at Captain Black Dark, Lane BCA, or Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish (all three are made by Lane Limited, and said to be very similar). They have a wonderful smooth vanilla flavor.

Wildcat likes this.
  6. sharky1982

sharky1982 New Member

What I mean by blend per say is they take and mix different blends to make the new blend . Thanks for al the input I wll sample these

7. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

If you enjoy a tobacco that is mostly Black Cavendish, with some lighter tobaccos mixed in, you might like Prince Albert Soft Vanilla and IRC China Black Fire Cured.
    Both are about 80% black cavendish.

-Prince Albert Soft Vanilla has a very light topping of vanilla. It's one of my favorite aromatics.

-IRC China Black Fire Cured is topped with...I'm not sure, but possibly coconut(?). The aroma is heavenly, and the taste a bit more "exotic" than standard aromatics :puffy:

Both are very smooth smokes for me. Not nearly as hot and harsh as many other aromatics I've tried over the years.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Tabac Noir : quite mild and good. Excellent description JimInks.

PASV : Thank you for reminding me that I need to try this Ephraim.

First thing that popped into my head was SPBC. I smoked it straight and mixed with equal parts of Half&Half for the longest time. Good stuff at a great price.

Ephraim and JimInks like this.
  9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

China Black Fire Cured is one of the few black Cavendish-based blends that I like. Really good stuff, and very reasonably priced.

Ephraim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.