New Baccy!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sawbones, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Howdy all, my dear brother sent me an ounce of Short Cut To Mushrooms?? It almost smelled to me to a little too sweet, like taking a smore and covering it with powdered sugar! Anyhow, I tried it and everyone in the room loved the note. And it tasted really good, not anywhere near as sweet as it smelled. Have any of you other yahoos tried this one?....

2. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I haven't tried that one, but I have seen others on here talk about it before.

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I just got some recently upon raving reviews here and it is very good! Get it!

4. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Yeah, I just checked out what it is , Forgive my ignorance and rookieness! So, this is the Latikia that you guys talk about? It sure is good, I just ordered 4 ounces !

5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'll be getting some eventually since I hear so many good things about it.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I love it enough to have dedicated a new Sasquatch pipe to it (sorry for reposting the pic for those that have already seen it, but I love it!)
    [​IMG]

The STM cake/ghost make it extra nice. ;)

Wicklow and davidmackv like this.
  7. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Awesome looking pipe. Can't wait until I get my first Sas.

8. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Hey, My dear brother also sent me some Penzance, I am smoking it now. Wow, I like this latakia stuff..,

9. HiloJohnny

HiloJohnny Guest

I'm glad to hear you enjoy Shortcut to Mushrooms. It was the first blend with latakia that I took a liking to and it is still one of my favorites. Someday you may want to try Whiskey, biscuit, gravy....It is also from Just for Him and has a lot of similarity to SCTM....:thu:

10. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

I just got a 4 ounce bag. I really like this stuff. I am surprised that I get no tongue bite from this. Of course maybe that is because I am learning how to smoke the right way!

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not crazy about cavendish and latakia as a combo and thought it ... well , meh . IRC Dr. Bradley is the only "crossover" blend that I've enjoyed to any degree . Shortcut is ok , imo , but I'm thinking whomever likes it would like DR.Bradley as well or maybe better

12. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

I have a dumb question... Is Short cut to Mushrooms an aromatic? Also, is this what Latakia normally tastes like?

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think that is what Ruffino was referring to when he said, "crossover blend". It is a Lat blend that is mildly aromatice. Certainly not aromatic in the traditional sense, but not a traditional Lat blend either. STM is a slight bit sweeter and smoother than the normal Lat blends I've tried. Penzance for example is very smooth, but is not as sweet at STM and has quite a bit different flavor. You still get the smokey, campfire in both, but the other flavors that come out in them are very different. Sillem's Black is the only other sweet Lat blend I've had. I like it a lot too.

Some of the more traditional Lat blends I love, and some are just meh, but I haven't found one that was just terrible. SG Skiff Mixture and Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian are oriental Lat blends that are a bit sweet, but different than STM and are excellent. 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher and The Tinderbox's Special Blend are less sweet and more English in style but also good.

Sawbones likes this.
  14. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Thanks Brad, that clears up a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.