1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New estate pipe, bad problem...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    So I bought a Dr. Grabow Starfire today from an antique store and it looked fine until I got home.... Lo and behold there is a burn spot in the inside. Anyway to fix this? I heard about pipe mud but dont know the ingredients. I was hoping to take this with me tuesday night but im not sure if I will be able to now!
    Any help is appreciated,
    Jomo

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

How deep is it? If it is superficial, I say just smoke it. You probably didn't pay too awful much for it, so its not too much a gamble. If it's deep...that is another chestnut all together.

3. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Well its not deep but its not shallow either. Its kinda in between...

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You can use ash and water and kind of make a paste out of it and pack it in there, or if there's a hole proper, mix up some portland cement and pack it with that.

5. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

You may be able to just smoke it and fill the hole with cake, then ream everything except the low spot down. I have an estate pipe that I am doing this on.

Ash and honey will make a good putty to fill in the hole, just give the mixture a couple days to dry.

6. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

So should I use the ash with honey, water, or saliva to make the paste? I just deemed it better to go ahead and make the paste. Just to be safe.
    Thanks again,
    Jomo

7. woody

woody Admin Admin

Like Sasquatch said, ash and water.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Ash and spit works just fine - make sure there's no dottle in the ash, mix the pipe mud up to a thick paste and ram home firmly with something like a palstic spoon, leave for about a day to dry, them snoke carefully for a bit til you get cake over the repair and Bob is indeed your Uncle!

I haven't done it but I have read that tile cement can also be used instead of pipe mud???

Good luck and happy smoking!

Gerry

9. beeftip

beeftip Member

I love this saying/colloquialism. We had an expat neighbor from Manchester and I threw this at her one day and she just about died. She couldn't believe that someone in the U.S. knew what it meant. I also suggested "Bob's Your Uncle" as the name for G.L. Pease's latest blend in his Old London series, but he went with "Meridian" instead. Boring.

After patching over the hole, don't smoke your pipe in any kind of breeze until it is thoroughly caked over. Unless, of course, you like "see-through" pipes. I made that mistake with an eBay estate pipe. The previous owner had reamed part of the sidewall to almost a pubic hair's thickness. I patched it up with some mud and took the pipe fishing the next day. Hilarity did not ensue. I did, however, get the pipe to skip across the water three times before it finally sunk.

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Best bet is cigar ash and a bit of water...go easy on the H[sub]2[/sub]O though. Cigar ash is finer than pipe ash, with fewer impurities....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.