1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New estate

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by clm42, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clm42

clm42 Member

Just picked up an Aldo Velani Ultima at a shop for 20. I'm planning too make this my first self clean. Any recommendations on reams? Its got quite a bit of cake and will need some serious buffing but the grain looks good so I think its worth a try. I will try to post some pics later today.

2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Can't wait to see it! Good luck with your endeavor!

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Reams? (Reamer tool, or how to ream)?

Sandpaper, a dowel rod/cylindrical object( small screwdriver) and elbow grease. Just work the cake back to where you want it...possibly bare wood, if it smells ghosty or you don't like the notion of 'using' the previous owners cake build up.

Reamer tools aren't absolutely neccessary. I don't use one.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, not on your pipes anyway.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I have and use a reamer - one of those metal adjustable jobs (and NOT in a meer!). If I'm just cutting cake back, it takes just a few seconds. If I'm cutting to bare wood, I use this to get the process started and then I use sandpaper to finish.

www.pipesandcigars.com sells the Senior Pipe Reamer for $33. That's what I use. It works well.

6. woody

woody Admin Admin

A butter knife could be used as a reamer. When I first started I used an old oyster knife.

7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Congrats, can't wait to see some pics!

8. clm42

clm42 Member

I just had a thought (a phrase that frightens my wife) since I dont have any of the fancy tool like a buffer wheel or reamer, im going to try to do this entirly with my dremel. I can get and make buffer wheels for it, i have barrel sanders and plastic brush wheelsnfpr it that would take cake pretty well. Id just need to buy some wax! And maybe some new bits for the dremel :)

9. woody

woody Admin Admin

Don't use a dremel! Do it by hand. It too easy to mess up with those high RPMs..

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Dremel can be used to polish the outside, but I agree with Woody- putting one of those sanding drums in the chamber seems like a real bad idea. Unless maybe you have a Dremel that can go down to super low speed... No, probably even then I'd handle the cake manually. Just tempting fate otherwise.

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

NO Dremels!!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree. Though I have no experience using them on pipes, I can tell you that even something as innocuous as a buffing wheel can burnish a piece of wood pretty badly given the high RPMs and very small area it comes into contact with. Sanding drums can really burn through material, too.

Sometimes I wonder how these gadgets got so popular..

Mark w4mms likes this.
  13. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Quickest way to destroy a pipe without really trying in my opinion.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Not to derail the thread, but this is the
    result of using a Dremel on briar:

[​IMG]

Was a Falcon bowl (with stripped threads).

Kiowapipe likes this.
  15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

lol... Exactly.

16. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

One of the kids at my church makes wooden rings. I should get him a small chunk of briar and have him carve me one out of that. The other two that he's made me keep falling apart.

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Snake- I just realized I may have misunderstood you. At first I thought you meant that you'd used a Dremel on a pipe and wrecked it so you decided to make a ring out of it. Didn't mean to dis your ring, it looks pretty cool! :)

18. clm42

clm42 Member

I was thinking of using a flap wheel or a nylon brush set to low for the cake and a cotton buff wheel to polish. Not one of those stiff felt buffer bits. I used one to polish the trigger on an AR-15, I'd never get it near wood. If the advice is unanimously no then I suppose I'll have to heed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.