New Fernandez Blend - Spectre

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by nesta, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find much information on it, but it's called Spectre. So far as I can tell, only CI and Cigar.com are selling them right now.

What catches my eye is the description on CI. They use a "secret blend" of fillers (which is not really a selling point for me) but they say they are wholly unusual, and guaranteed to be extremely novel. Among the descriptors is, along with other things which are fairly run of the mill like black pepper, leather and cocoa, is "pine." Cigar.com mentions "smoked meat" among the flavors, and CI also describes it as "smokey."

Now I've been saying for some time that I'd like to see a cigar or two blended with at least a portion of pipe tobacco. Apparently Drew Estate's "Natural" line does a little of this from time to time, but I've only tried limited samples of that brand, often considering it but generally steering clear. But these two descriptions have hit on some signals for me....Cigar.com makes a point of using "secret" in quotation marks, as if it isn't really that big a secret. What I take from this is that the "secret" ingredient will be apparent to people who have tasted it before. Based solely on the descriptions, my hunch is that this cigar may be just what I was hoping for. My suspicion is that the "secret" component of the blend may in fact be latakia - a radical break from traditional cigar blending, guaranteed to stand out, and offering a smokey, sometimes faintly meaty, flavor. The predominant ingredient in the smoke used to treat lat is pine smoke, and I've found a few latakia blends faintly piney from time to time. Cocoa, leather, and a little spice wouldn't seem out of place with a lat blend, either.

This is just a wild guess, I haven't tried them. When I search google, I don't come across any reviews yet, and some cigar forum folks seem to be scared off by the suggestion of pine. So my question is: have any of you smoked these, and if so how were they? A followup: does my hunch sound reasonable to you? It would be unusual, sure, but it's said to be unusual after all.

If this is correct, I'd be super interested in trying one. Boxes of ten are in the neighborhood of 50 bucks.

2. CaKy

CaKy Member

You are correct in your assumption. Apparently latakia is the "secret" leaf.
    I like AJ's stuff...he does some of my fav Emilio sticks for Gary Griffith. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a 10 box.

3. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

Just read about this in the P&C newsletter yesterday, I'd be interested to try one for sure!

el guero and sillyoldbear like this.
  4. Archi77

Archi77 Member

I tried one a couple weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed with it. Out of the humidor, it smells wonderful - almost a latakia smell. It has a smell that makes you think it's going to be a full-bodied "in your face" cigar, but when lit, it's hardly this. It gives off some spice flavors but the prominent flavor is a "smokey" flavor. Someone told me it reminded them of a campfire and while the aroma was similar, I didn't taste that.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a BAD cigar, but for the price, I can find a lot of other sticks out there that I'd rather indulge in. And I'm not a fan of the larger ring sizes, either, so maybe that tainted my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.