New Forever Stem

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Pecci, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

It's brand new (Mini 1.5") and I've tried 2 very different baccy's and both have an almost plasticky after taste. The night before I washed it with a little dish soap and cool water.

Do any of you "Old Farts" know if there a break-in period, or do I have a bad one or am I iust having a bad day?

2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Assuming you are referencing the forever stems for cobs. I have never had a taste problem with them. I have torn off two of them where they enter the shank, and didn't even feel I was doing it. I think I am done with them.

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yes it's for a cob. Thanks for your experience.

I think the taste faded during the end of the 2nd bowl. The enjoyment factor though, was gone, so I'm not sure. Afterwords, I washed and rinsed well. We'll see what happens next time.

I'd still like to here from more of you "Forever" Farts.:old: --- ;)

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Holly Sneakers! These are the first negative comments I've read regarding Forever stems. Guess it was bound to happen! I like mine so well I talk then up whenever possible so others might enjoy the same success I have.

I would pass your experiences onto Walker Bros.

Geeze, Bad taste and pipe distruction - I feel blessed!

Will

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm definitely with Will...I've never heard of an issue...ever, and that I would report it to Walker. Were they vulcanite or acrylic, btw? I wonder if it was a bad batch, either from the blanks or from the cut. This is odd.

Pecci, I would think the plastic taste would go away over time. Since I've never noticed or heard of others noticing it though, it may be you are just more sensitive to picking up on that. In that case there isn't much I can add to help. Sorry.

6. CBR

CBR Member

Same here. 4 stems in the lineup so far and not a problem at all. Maybe a bad batch of raw materials?

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I have absolutely no idea why you would get any weird tastes off either an acrylic or vulcanite forever stem, especially if you cleaned them before smoking (unless you didn't get all the soap off??). Was it a new pipe as well? Fresh cob can taste a little weird sometimes, that could be the culprit.
    As to the stems crumbling apart, that's also pretty bizarre. I'd say Walker should replace them.
    As for me, I'm pretty happy with the standard issue plastic stems. They hold up pretty well, they're soft and comfy, and they're literally only $0.25 a piece. So you could buy like eighty of them for one forever stem. I'm pretty sure that eighty of the plastic stems are more 'forever' than one forever stem, unless you're one devil of a chewer.

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

As proof I have several Forever stems here's a pic. Not a clinker in the lot! I find them well made and worth the cost, IMO. I can't imagine Walker Brothers lowering their standards.

[​IMG]

Will

9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks for all the responses, fellas. As I mentioned on my 2nd post, the taste seemingly diminished during the the end of the second bowl. I again washed it in dish soap and cool water afterwords, late last night, and made sure to rinse it well.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Uh? Why are you washing the stem in cold water? Me thinks it would be better to use warm or hot water. Hot water will not harm the stem (unless to leave it in hot boiling water for several minutes) and it will reduce the soap a lot better than cold water. Cold water will NOT dilute dish soap effectively.

Heck, I use alcohol to clean my stems all the time! No problems! I just don't soak the stems in alcohol.

Will

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I run the thick pipe cleaners with nylon bristles soaked with "Everclear" through all of my MM plastic "Danish" stems (and Forever nose warmer stem) and dry with Long's Extra Absorbent (really fluffy and ideal for cob stems) every couple of weeks. I do run a fluffy through the stem after each smoke but stuff builds up and the heavy duty pipe cleaner and Everclear takes care of that.

WyoBob

12. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Even if this problem doesn't persist, email Walker and let him know. He is very conscientious about his products. I had a problem with the Tuxedo bowl I ordered and he offered multiple times to replace it despite my telling him multiple times that it wasn't necessary, I only wanted to make him aware of my issue and we discussed the manufacturing technique at length. We both enjoyed the exchange. I've never had a problem with the stems and I think they are the best cob accessory on the market.

They stand up to all the abuse I put them through, and that's plenty.

Cheers,
    WK

13. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I have one, and it is acrylic and had no funny taste. For that matter, I never noticed a taste from any acrylic stem. Maybe it was the cob, or maybe there was some goo or residue on the stem. I'm pretty sure the washing will cure your problem.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've got two stems on two cobs as well, and love them. They never had a funny taste, even with the first smoke. The fit well, look great and are super comfy.

15. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

After a deluxe wash & rinse, I'll be trying it again, either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, for all the opinions and advice.

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I'm enjoying right now. 50-50 w/PA & VA.

I guess there's nothing like a good rinse!:bing:

17. CBR

CBR Member

Good to hear! These stems should provide you years of enjoyment.

18. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Wow, I really enjoyed last night. The Bur/Vir mix, stuffed in to a Washington, plugged with the "Mini" Forever Stem, could become my favorite.

Since this was the Washington virgin voyage:sailor:, I did get a little cob taste at the end, but that was to be expected.

I wish they made the "Mini" in amber or turtle.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.