New found B&M

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by browny, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browny

browny Member

I've been madly researching for what my local choices are since it's so hard to obtain tobacco's down here compared to the freedom most of you gentlemen have, to make matters worse we've been cut down to only 50g allowable import amount before all the taxes etc get loaded on.

I have now 2 options of B&M Tobacconists that are roughly 30-40mins drive away (as local as it gets for more than 3 generic choices from a cigarette and gift shop) and they seem to stock a few toby's you all have mentioned here, my latest find even has a good number of toby choices in their original size tin/pouch as well as a '10g sampler' option, I got excited then noticed the weird looks from the missus....oops haha.

This was my first find and visited them about 3 weeks ago, true tobacconist with old school gentleman attitude I loved it
    http://www.cigars.com.au/Home.aspx

This is yesterday's find, haven't had a chance to visit yet but will be either this or next weekend
    https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/en/

Not exactly the selection there is north of the equator (or the prices :() but at least we have a small few remaining B&M's.

Old Codger, Svart and Buckshot like this.

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

That's great that you have a couple close by. It's nice to be able to run down to the local B&M and pick up some supplies without having to wait on shipping and paying extra tarrifs.

This could be your opportunity to get whatever you want while avoiding the import restrictions. Maybe they could order blends for you at no extra cost to you.

3. browny

browny Member

Not sure about the 'no extra costs' check some of the prices ;)

Having said there's nothing better than physically walking through the door and smelling the tobacco or holding the pipes before you purchase, this is what online can never give any of us so make sure you all visit a B&M when ever you can before we have none left in the world.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I sometimes get grumpy about being a pipe smoker in Canada but I truly feel for the down under pipers, both for prices and the severe restrictions. Our prices are ridiculous but yours are criminal. Well, ours are criminal too, yours are worse. Off with their heads. Ooops, sorry, it's the pirate kake speaking again.:mad:

5. Svart

Svart Member

Damn man, those prices are over the roof :eek:

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Alexander's has Peterson's Hyde Park. Not available here yet and it's the last one from Peterson's on my list to try. So it looks like that B&M is at least better tied in to the supply chain than the ones around here. Enjoy.

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

How closely do the Posties check the incoming mail? Maybe we could arrange a supply drop for our oppressed Canadian and Australian brothers. (Seriously, I mean it).

Stonewall and Bman64 like this.
  8. browny

browny Member

Our posties just deliver what ever they have to and don't get payed enough to care much what's inside, customs on the other hand are pretty stringent I swear they're on commission pay, some get lucky as not every single parcel can be checked every single day but it's a hard gamble. I'm going to treat myself around Christmas with a purchase from an American tobacconist which will include 100g of tobacco and see how I go, being the silly season I have a slightly higher chance of it passing through if small.

If I lived in Canada but close-ish to the border I'd plan a 3 day trip to 'a good mates' once in a while.

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Damn, pretty awful that they hit you so hard. Sometimes it's nice to have a reminder of how good we do still have it here. It seems that tobacco is really on the hit list for a lot of governments these days. Easy target I guess. What a shame. How long has it been that way in Australia? I know when I first got to legal smoking age, a pack of cigs (now about $5.50)) was less than $3 here in Alabama. These changes are happening fast, because that really wasn't all that long ago.

10. browny

browny Member

Seriously think it's time I move to the US...
    a pack of cig's(25) avg cost of $16-$17 a pack here, I started on cig's at 17 with $10-$12 a pack back in '94 and they were more on the cheaper tobacco was A LOT cheaper than top end but now it's all very similar in cost. The biggest change in taxes on tobacco (and alcohol for that matter:mad:) would have been about 8 years ago from memory when they started launching the prices into the stratosphere, here tobacco is generically treated just as alcohol is.....cough*cashcow*cough

news as I write this is now we can't smoke on patrolled beaches......time I start thinking what US state I prefer

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wow, never thought I'd see Borkum Riff priced at equal levels with SG blends. On the positive side, you do have a wide variety of choices!

It would be good if Alexander's allowed you to sample a bowl of their house blends. You can take several pipes with you and then fill each with a different blend, and decide which ones you like...

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

It is a damn shame! And it's coming to worse everywhere apparently with the exception of the U.S.

I just had to give UPS over $100.00 in taxes and fees for two bags of Penzance because that is the method the retailer used to ship it. It's outright robbery.

I'd say to Canadian pipers to be careful of what you try to import. I have three orders in with SP.com and haven't received the first one yet...

I don't know what's going on, maybe Customes have tightened up? I sent tobacco and it's taking forever to reach the person.

I'm getting a little concerned that things have changed for us too. We already pay in excess of $35.00 for 50gr.

browny likes this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Damn I am ancient. I remember paying twenty five cents a pack for cigs in Alabama, back when it cost two or three dollars to run my fifty chevy for a week. :)

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Anything sent by UPS is going to cost a lot, they even charger customs brokerage fees on absolutely everything that leaves the countries. They have a brokerage business and they act as though they were part of the government. If sending tobacco from the States to Canada, send it by regular post. It will take longer but the chances of it getting hit by customs is relatively small, it is hit and miss. Send it via courier and you will get hit every time. This be the voice of experience.

UPS has hit me, and people I used to work with in the States, for hand made drawings that had to be sent via UPS because of deadlines on a art project. Not even a product with any value. Utterly unnecessary but they charged the brokerage fee anyway.

Note to mods, I'm not suggesting anything illegal here. Just suggesting that regular mail, with all the proper declarations, is a better bet

browny likes this.
  15. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

BALLS! There's just no way, no way , smoking one of those could make me feel THAT important!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.