Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Bdubz, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bdubz

Bdubz New Member

I hope this is in the correct location. I had been a cigarette smoker for twelve years before I decided to quit using Swedish snus. I have used snus for the last two years and have realized that I can enjoy tobacco without being its slave. I recently decided to try a pipe after a few members at snus forum that I frequent, tried it and really enjoyed it.

I went to a local cigarette shop and picked up a cob and some Middleton's cherry I think. I did not enjoy that at all. I then ran to Churchills of Birmingham which is a higher end tobacco shop. I picked up some McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish and Georgian Cream. I liked the Georgian Cream but for some reason it developed a bad aftertaste once I had finished smoking. I absolutely loved the VBC. I am not sure what it was but I definitely enjoyed that one. Can anyone recommend anything along the lines of the VBC?

A couple days ago I purchased a couple pipes on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...g43Ert8%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...g43Ert8%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Not sure why I picked those. I think it was just because I liked the way they look. Are these decent smoking pipes? The biggest thing I was wondering was what I need to do once I get these into my hands? Any help from the more experienced smokers would be appreciated. Sorry for the ramblin' It's great to meet everyone.

2. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

I'm not sure if it is similar or not, but a lot of people seem to enjoy Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Boswell's also has a very high reputation for having some of the best aromatics around. You may also want to try some Peter Stokebbye's Luxury Twist Flake. It is a light aromatic that I received a sample of in a trade and I love it.

I can saw anything about the first pipe, but I have a Kaywoodie that I like. Smokes well. I am pretty new myself, but I am sure others will come soon to give some good advice. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Kaywoodies are American made and are pretty decent pipes. Amphora pipes are made in Sweden and some of them are very good smokers. They were sold by sending in a coupon and a check from Amphora pipe tobacco which used to be sold in the US and was very popular. It is no longer sold here.

For tobaccos like the Vanilla Cream, I highly recommend the following, MacBarons Vanilla Cream, Lanes BCA, and Dans Blue Note. There are many Vanilla blends out there though that are very good. Welcome to the forum and feel free to contact me with any help you might need, i have smoked the pipe for over 40 years and know a thing or two. By the way, your pipes say they have been reconditioned so you should not have to do anything to them to enjoy them. I do suggest dipping a pipe cleaner into spirits like Everclear, Vodka, or Whiskey and run it down the pipe to sterilize it. Just to be safe.

4. Bdubz

Bdubz New Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I will have to try a few of those recommendations. Do you guys get you tobacco online or at a local B&M? What site is best to use when ordering tobacco online? I tried smoking some of my VBC in my new Kaywoodie. It smoked great except near the end of the bowl it started gurgling a little. Not sure why, but it did smoke well for me. Thanks for the info.

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I buy both ways, but mostly online.
    I have had nothing but good experiences with pipesandcigars.com.
    Once they sent me (plain) Frog Morton when I ordered Frog Morton on the Town and they corrected it, by saying I could keep the Frog Morton and they would send me out the right product and they did. That was nice of them.
    I just started dealing with Boswell's and they are awesome too. You have to phone in your order and they are very nice. I have ordered on a Friday twice and gotten my packages on Monday! That was fast service.
    Both companies have reasonable prices too.
    Those are my 2 favs so far.

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Welcome aboard, Bdubz! I tink you've done well with that Kaywoodie! I've got several Kaywoodies in my rotation and every one is an excellent smoker. That irishlefty sells some very nicely reconditioned pipes at excellent prices. He's also an inactive member here to boot.

7. SmokeandMayhem

SmokeandMayhem Member

*waves* I have no advice as I'm also very new but hello! :wave:

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Feel free to join the evening Chat.....never had a girl in there before. :whistle:

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Let me add three more fine etailers to the two that have been recommended here. I use them often.

smokingpipes.com
    Marscigars.com
    ParkLaneTobacconist.com

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

+100 for smokingpipes.com . They're great. I have yet to deal with Mars Cigars or Park Lane, but I've heard good things.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

StrongIrish :bow: .. Sorry Bdubz , had to bow to "the" man . Wellcome ! Kaywoodies rock ... What!? .. You No Like a da Cherry Blend ... we'll let it slide . A killer aromatic is IRC Buttered rum and PA Soft vanilla is pretty good and around . Wait a couple of months and try the cherry Blend again . If you ever go to wvsmokeshop they have a blend made by Century called z50 Black cordial that you might dig . They have 1oz samples of most everything they carry . They have MB GE and PS bullseye also [ great blends ]. Again , wellcome and enjoy . ... StrongIrish ............. :bow:

12. freestoke

freestoke Member

Howdy! You might want to browse around in tobaccoreviews.com to get some ideas about what's out there. You might like Three Blind Moose, I certainly do.

13. incubus666

incubus666 New Member

Hello!

I am new on smoking pipe i am just starting. Once I buy one in a chinese store, just to see how it works and it was not to good, taste like chemicals.

Then I smoke in one of a friend and I enjoy it very much.

Now I am trying to buy one to myself but I dont no nothing about pipes. I see this one on ebay:

My link

I just like the pipe and its very cheap (this is very important).

Just looking for some help and advice.

By the way I smoke Clubmaster superior vanilla mini and I like them.

14. Bdubz

Bdubz New Member

Thanks guys for all the help. I appreciate it. Other than putting the tobacco in the pipe and lighting it, I am lost. I have been reading around the forum and have been learning things so thank God for that. You guys have definitely helped me put together a list of tobacco to smoke. I plan on trying each and every recommendation. :thankyou:

15. sakis

sakis Member

hi all ,
    I am a newbie too can't advice as the others but you are both welcome to our community
    Enjoy your stay and start reading posts .

:geek: :fpc: :pc:

Regards to all
    Sakis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.