1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New MM Washington...breakin her in right...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by davidmackv, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

smoked my first bowl in my new MM Washington today. I smoked a little McB's Navy Flake...mmm...mmm...good. This is a great combination in my opinion.

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on the Washington! I love Mc B NF! Beale.

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I have a Washington, with a 1.5" Forever stem, sticking out of it. It makes a wonderful pocket pipe.

4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I was a little worried above the Navy flake I had only been smoking aros since 965 made me nicotine sick on Tuesday. But it did wonderful.

5. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I love my Washington. But apparently I got one with very thin walls and it gets too hot to hold even with my very slow puffing. So it rarely gets used anymore. I'll give it another shot when it's cooler out.

6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Mine is thin also and gets very hot.

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I believe there are 2 different (Washington) bowl styles. Mine has decently thick walls. Perhaps I have a different bowl than both of you.

8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

With corn cobs being natural and irregular it prolly just the nature of the beast.

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have the same pipe and it gets hot as well but I just hold it by the stem or shank part and go about my business lol. Now I love a cob when I smoke a flake toby, I just recently got done having a bowl of Dunhill Flake in my American Patriot, something about a cob and a good VA flake that just works great!!!!!

10. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

Yea. mine gets pretty hot as well, I thought I was doing something wrong so this good to know.

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I don't have a Washington and perhaps the bowl thickness is even less than my thinnest bowls: .36-.40" for my Morgans and Prides and .40-.42" for my Legend. For comparison, the Diplomats run about .60-.65" in bowl thickness. All of these are natural finished cobs.

I can't tell from pictures if the Washington is plaster finished, or not. In my experience, the natural cobs do smoke cooler. The Morgans weigh around 18 grams, the lightest cobs in my collection and the bowls smoke very cool when loaded with LNF, LTW & other va/vapers. In my plaster finished cobs, the same tobaccos do seem to warm the bowls more but they've never "smoked hot". BTW, I do dry my tobacco before loading.

WyoBob

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

It seems so, as MM shows some variation in the photos of the Washington, some being vase-shaped while others are more straight.

13. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Mine is the straight one.

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's discouraging. The vase looks thinner still. I guess you could always join the "cake" camp among cob smokers, though.

15. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

The walls of my straight MM Washington are just a tiny hair more than 1/8-inch thick.

16. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

This. I have several Legends floating around here...none look similar. As for the too hot to hold part, I suspect moist tobacco, over packing or furious puffing are as likely a cause as thin walls. Don't hold me to that...just an observation I've observed from my own cob smoking(with various thickness bowls and various tobacco cuts).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.