New,old,new,old Half& Half

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Texhealer, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I was in a local cigarette shop last week and noticed they have started carrying some OTC's. among them Lanes version of H&H.

I learned to smoke the pipe 7 or8 years ago from a bit of a tobacco snob consequently it was a year or two till I tried any OTC tobacco. When I did one of the first I tried was H & H because that's what my grandfather smoked.

Pipe smoking was a big part of granddads life, tho it was always H&H in a corn cob. The smell of the pouch and the room note of his smoke was magical to me as a kid.

Well the pouch I tried a few years ago was disappointing...it had changed.

Yesterday ( after reading about the Lane version here somewhere) I splurged $4.60 and snagged a pouch.
    On opening the pouch I was thrilled by the smell, this is what granddad smoked. :)

I can't vouch for the taste being the same but it was pleasant enough and the room note and pouch smell was close enough that I spent most of yesterday smoking Half & Half in a couple of cobs remembering Granddad.

Money well spent.

2. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Im really pleased you had a great trip down memory lane, my great uncle was the reason I started smoking a pipe, I have his Rhodesian and smoke it regularly and it always reminds me of him, and as smell invokes the strongest memories what a great way of remembering someone!

3. BrucePerr

BrucePerr Member

Indeed smells can invoke long forgotten memories. I smoke a tinned tobacco that the first time I opened it I said, "now that's familiar" it reminded me of my grandfather when I was about 3 or 4 years old. That was over 50 years ago! It's nice to see that our memories are there but some times just hidden.
    All the best.

4. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

H&H is on my list of blends to try again. Back in the 70's, I was sitting next to an old guy at a bar (he was younger than I am now!) and that was what he was smoking. He said "the smell of this bothers a lot of people, but I don't care. I like the taste." Smell didn't bother me, in fact I liked it. Need to pick up a pouch. Can't remeber what my Dad smoked, as he stopped in the mid-50's when I was like 4 years old. I remember seeing the tin tubs, that he used for storing nutsd/bolts/nails, but can't remember what it was.

Mark Dawson and Lucky Duck like this.
  5. krusty

krusty Active Member

You came upon your re-introduction to the H&H at the right time Tex. The current blend put out by Lane is in fact some good smokin'. Enjoy!

MAINE CODGER, MDaws79 and colorduke like this.
  6. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Aren't those remembered smells wonderful! I loved the smell of my wife's grandfather's OTC blends. Her grandparents lived in a farmhouse that was heated by a wood burning stove in the living room. I fondly remember the visits to them when her grandfather and I would sit and smoke our pipes and watch Sunday football on the TV.

Mark Dawson and Lucky Duck like this.
  7. zippo

zippo Member

Half & Half is one of my favorites. It was one of the first tobaccos I tried when I started smoking a pipe and it has been a favorite since then. Glad it brought back so many memories for you!

MAINE CODGER, MDaws79 and Lucky Duck like this.
  8. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

A couple weeks ago I was at work, smoking H&H in my pipe outside, and an old truck driver came up to me and told me that his grandfather used to smoke H&H in his pipe, and it smelled good enough to eat.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

My recently finished tub was purchased ohhhhh... maybe a year and a half ago. Am I correct in assuming that Lane has changed the blend since the time that that tub would have been packaged?

10. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

My pouch was clearly marked Lane, I assume the tub would be as well. It is also my understanding that Lane sells a 12 oz tub whereas Pinkerton sold a 16oz tub.

I haven't seen it with my own eyes but that's the way I hear it.

I'm not sure when the sale took place.

Wildcat likes this.
  11. krusty

krusty Active Member

What Tex said Wildcat.
    I don't recall when the change from Pinkerton to Lane happened either but the tubs are indeed 12oz now.

Wildcat likes this.
  12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I prefer the new Lane to the old Pinkerton myself.

MAINE CODGER and User4408 like this.
  13. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Thx fellas. Cool, looking forward to trying the new and improved H&H.

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have to try the new lane version.

15. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

You should it is really good.

Wildcat likes this.
  16. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

+1

Wildcat likes this.
  17. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

I've been driving past a Smoker's Choice everyday on my route through Troy, NY and finally decided to stop in a few days ago. I wasn't expecting anything other than the usual roll your own/head shop, but was surprised by a decent selection of OTC tobacco. I picked up a pouch of SWRA which I'd been meaning to try again and also picked up a pouch of H&H. (They also had SWR, CH, PA, PACV, Velvet and the Captain) Anywho, the H&H is good, good stuff! I liked it before (see previous comments) but never got around to trying the Lane version until now. The room note won't get Mrs. approval, but I enjoy outdoor cool/cold weather smokes. The crisp air has a positive effect on flavor IMO (Walnut in the winter is:banana: !) So while the Mrs. enjoys (tolerates??) SWRA and Middleton's CB, the new and improved H&H will be enjoyed outdoors and in my work truck (regardless of NY law!).

AustinLM likes this.
  18. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

Never tried either version, so what is the difference on the packaging and which one would you guys recommend I try?

Thanks, -Austin-

Wildcat likes this.
  19. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

You're most likely to find the new Lane/Skandinavik version, unless a retailer has old stock on the shelf. It's possible I 'spose, I did find older Pinkerton Velvet on the shelf and not the new Lane version. All that said, I think most here would say the new H&H is best.

Rodfather and MAINE CODGER like this.
  20. Super K

Super K Active Member

H&H was the first tobacco sample it gave to my brother with a MM. It's good stuff in the current Lane pkg.

Wildcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.