Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

New,old,new,old Half& Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texhealer

I was in a local cigarette shop last week and noticed they have started carrying some OTC's. among them Lanes version of H&H.

I learned to smoke the pipe 7 or8 years ago from a bit of a tobacco snob consequently it was a year or two till I tried any OTC tobacco. When I did one of the first I tried was H & H because that's what my grandfather smoked.

Pipe smoking was a big part of granddads life, tho it was always H&H in a corn cob. The smell of the pouch and the room note of his smoke was magical to me as a kid.

Well the pouch I tried a few years ago was disappointing...it had changed.

Yesterday ( after reading about the Lane version here somewhere) I splurged $4.60 and snagged a pouch.
On opening the pouch I was thrilled by the smell, this is what granddad smoked. :)

I can't vouch for the taste being the same but it was pleasant enough and the room note and pouch smell was close enough that I spent most of yesterday smoking Half & Half in a couple of cobs remembering Granddad.

Money well spent.

jhguthlac

H&H is on my list of blends to try again. Back in the 70's, I was sitting next to an old guy at a bar (he was younger than I am now!) and that was what he was smoking. He said "the smell of this bothers a lot of people, but I don't care. I like the taste." Smell didn't bother me, in fact I liked it. Need to pick up a pouch. Can't remeber what my Dad smoked, as he stopped in the mid-50's when I was like 4 years old. I remember seeing the tin tubs, that he used for storing nutsd/bolts/nails, but can't remember what it was.

Aren't those remembered smells wonderful! I loved the smell of my wife's grandfather's OTC blends. Her grandparents lived in a farmhouse that was heated by a wood burning stove in the living room. I fondly remember the visits to them when her grandfather and I would sit and smoke our pipes and watch Sunday football on the TV.

Wildcat

Say what now?
You came upon your re-introduction to the H&H at the right time Tex. The current blend put out by Lane is in fact some good smokin'. Enjoy!
My recently finished tub was purchased ohhhhh... maybe a year and a half ago. Am I correct in assuming that Lane has changed the blend since the time that that tub would have been packaged?

Texhealer

My pouch was clearly marked Lane, I assume the tub would be as well. It is also my understanding that Lane sells a 12 oz tub whereas Pinkerton sold a 16oz tub.

I haven't seen it with my own eyes but that's the way I hear it.

I'm not sure when the sale took place.

krusty

My recently finished tub was purchased ohhhhh... maybe a year and a half ago. Am I correct in assuming that Lane has changed the blend since the time that that tub would have been packaged?
What Tex said Wildcat.
I don't recall when the change from Pinkerton to Lane happened either but the tubs are indeed 12oz now.

Wildcat

Say what now?
I've been driving past a Smoker's Choice everyday on my route through Troy, NY and finally decided to stop in a few days ago. I wasn't expecting anything other than the usual roll your own/head shop, but was surprised by a decent selection of OTC tobacco. I picked up a pouch of SWRA which I'd been meaning to try again and also picked up a pouch of H&H. (They also had SWR, CH, PA, PACV, Velvet and the Captain) Anywho, the H&H is good, good stuff! I liked it before (see previous comments) but never got around to trying the Lane version until now. The room note won't get Mrs. approval, but I enjoy outdoor cool/cold weather smokes. The crisp air has a positive effect on flavor IMO (Walnut in the winter is:banana: !) So while the Mrs. enjoys (tolerates??) SWRA and Middleton's CB, the new and improved H&H will be enjoyed outdoors and in my work truck (regardless of NY law!).

Wildcat

Say what now?
Never tried either version, so what is the difference on the packaging and which one would you guys recommend I try?

Thanks, -Austin-
You're most likely to find the new Lane/Skandinavik version, unless a retailer has old stock on the shelf. It's possible I 'spose, I did find older Pinkerton Velvet on the shelf and not the new Lane version. All that said, I think most here would say the new H&H is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.