1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Peterson Pipe - Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by kjamison, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjamison

kjamison New Member

Hello all-

New the forum but have been a mild pipe smoker for a few years. This past week I bought a new Peterson. Beautiful pipe, smokes well, etc... Today I removed the mouthpiece and noticed what appeared to be a chip in the shank(?) on the inside. Is this normal? Is this problematic? Should I contact Peterson?

I bought the pipe from a reputable shop but it was on a business trip so I don't think I can return it.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Any help any of you guys can offer would be much appreciated!

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that it is a full bent and what you are seeing is where the dill bit left a notch on the inside rim............very common and nothing to worry about.

BTW welcome.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The little drill bit rub is normal, but there does appear to be a chunk of briar missing in the mortise wall. Peterson will send you a new pipe if you mail it to them inside the first year you've owned it, is my guess. Send them the pic and see what response you get.

4. kjamison

kjamison New Member

I should have been a little more clear in my first post. It is the chunk of briar that is missing that concerns me. It just doesn't look right. I've emailed peterson to see what they say, so I'll probably go from there.

It is a full bent pipe.

Lesson learned: Take the pipe apart before you buy it!

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ya always gotta look at the guts for sure. It's probably fine, and probably not indicative of some kind of imminent failure, but it also should not be like that, and I'm sure Peterson will come through for you... seen it many times.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Looking at the pic closely I see the misssing bit of briar to the left of the drill mark; given that it's a Petersen and not a basket I'd definitely see about getting it chsanged if possible - while I don't think it'll fail next week it is a weak spot.

I've certainly done the same thing myself - I once fell for a beautifully finished verline rustic pipe and didn't bother to take it apart. It had a spot like that only worse and in time it started to leak around there and eventually failed.

Sasquatch did us all a favour by posting his Guide to Pipe Buying - I printed it off and keep it in my wallet beside my credit cards, just in case I'm struck by Sudden Onset PAD!

Best to all

Gerry

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

+1 This is what I would do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.