New Pipe Film--Watch this!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by sorringowl, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

This is just a small preview of a new documentary a group of young people in Michigan are making about pipes, pipe making, and slowing down and enjoying life, called "Father the Flame". I don't know about you, but just the little bit I saw of this film made me want to sit down, pipe in hand, and watch a whole bunch more of this.

These guys are trying to raise money to complete this film by early October, and I think the finished film will be even more beautiful and more moving than it already is.

If you want to help these guys out (and all of us in the pipe community really should get behind a project like this), you can go to their indiegogo.com campaign page here: Father the Flame film

Spread the word and help these guys out! It will be so worth it.
    Thanks,
    Sorringowl

2. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

In the last few years especially, Pipe smoking in general has reached a level of cosmopolitan approval with the younger generations. For some it has been as a byproduct or derivative of ulterior motives, fluxing in and out of the fad world, but in general, pipe smoking and approval of such, I believe, is increasing again. however slowly.

thanks for sharing the clip, life is good.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  3. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Very exiting! can't wait t see more of it!

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've wanted to see something like this for a long time!

browny likes this.
  5. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I second that. I can't wait to see the whole film!

6. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

This is great! I can't wait!
    Going to contribute this coming week.

sorringowl likes this.
  7. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

That's great! Thanks Sorringowl for posting!

8. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Simply Beautiful.

9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Of course I drained the bank recently thanks to some TAD/PAD, but we've got some time to support. Making sure I leave myself a note so I don't forget :D

sorringowl likes this.
  10. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

HIPSTER SCUM!!!!!

Cool idea to make a movie about pipes though.

Ehrgeiz, Tony Malerich and TedVig like this.
  11. sorringowl

Hey Neo, I know this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion (and/or maybe you were half-joking), but, in the interest of trying to support these guys, and, more importantly, possibly help to educate people about our pipe culture, we should show our fellow brothers of the briar some respect.

It is a cool idea and my intent in sharing this with the pipe community is to bring positive attention to this film, and these young, ambitious pipers, so that it can get made.

Again, I know you were probably kidding, but I'd really like to keep this thread focused on the positive message of the film. Thanks.

12. sorringowl

I think, eventually, CM (despite whatever technological advancements, and no matter how "modern" we consider ourselves as a society), that things of lasting value, even if they decrease in popularity at times, will always last, and people will always recognize their value again (eventually). To me, pipe smoking is definitely one of those things. Plus (and this is another thing these guys touch upon in their film), people are seeing the necessity nowadays to slow down (one of the reasons I was attracted to pipes in the first place).

I do find it interesting, though (and exciting), that it is the younger generation (like these guys) who are really excited about (and wanting to shed some light upon) our pipe community. And honestly, from talking with them (I have a 25 year old nephew), it seems like the younger generation, many of whom were born and raised right smack in the middle of the technological boom, are craving some connection to the past; some attachment to tradition, which, I think, all young people should have. In fact, I think they need it (and they, themselves, recognize that, and are creating it for themselves). So, good for them.
    Life is good, my brother. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.:puffy:

browny and TWolf like this.
  13. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

That one Italian feller put it pretty good. Each block of brair has it's own energy. A good carver senses this and brings it out. And with each one made, a little of them goes with it. Some excellent points made in this short clip. These guys could have never put this together if they didn't "get it" about why people smoked pipes.:gjob:

14. furious

furious Junque collector

I, for one, am very pleased to see some young guys take interest in getting the message out about our wonderful pastime. Sure, the snap-brim fedoras and quirky beards may classify them as hipsters to some of our brethren, but I choose to call them the next generation of pipemen. For a little perspective, I doubt that Sir Walter would look too kindly upon the rest of us anyway! LOL!

15. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

I have shared this video on all my social networking sites at twice so far. Even if just one person watches it, it's worth it.

16. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

I was half joking. I play a bunch of shows where there are hipster scene kids, and pretentious hipsters, not all of them are bad. I do have quite a few hipster friends but they really are well educated (I went to college with them in the 90's) playwrights, theatre arts professors, and published.

sorringowl likes this.
  17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Great video clip, and I'm sure it would be an interesting movie to watch. Thank you for sharing Sorringowl!

sorringowl likes this.
  18. gd9704

gd9704 Member

Just heard about this on the Pipes Magazine podcast. Pretty cool.....

19. inkybat

inkybat Member

I came across this on Tumblr recently, lovely idea and execution.

gd9704 likes this.
  20. Doc Sixstring

Doc Sixstring Active Member

did they end up making the full movie? I notice this thread is from 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.