new pipe smoker question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy my first pipe.
I am looking at a Jake Hackert corn cob pipe with an antler stem,
not sure what the mouth piece is made of?

It is selling for 20.00 plus 5.15 shipping on Ebay.
The price seems okay, I've seen less expensive corn cobs, but I like the look of the antler.

My question is this:
Do you think that this pipe would be a good first pipe, or do you think I should just go with a drug store cob?

Also, I read that Bob's chocolate flake is a good tobacco (if dried), do you think that this would be a good first tobacco?
If not any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Demented said:
You can by them direct from the maker for $15.00 plus shipping at cob pipes, save yourself at least $10.00
I went to his site before buying it on Ebay, and I believe that the only way to purchase it was over the phone.
I am having trouble with my phone so I had to go with Ebay.

Thanks for your reply.

Brian

A lot of people here recommend Prince Albert or Carter Hall, both drugstore brands, as a first tobacco. I am fairly new to pipe smoking and agree. They are both VERY easy to work with. They pack easy. They light easy. They stay lit easy, and they even taste pretty good.

I quickly got into MacBaren blends because it's about the only thing B&M stores around here stock (almost all cigar stores with a token selection of pipe tobacco). A lot of people complain about MacBaren being difficult. I think that is partially true. MacBaren seems to require good smoking technique. I have to say though, I think that was very helpful. It made me work on my technique.

Good MacBaren blends I have tried: Symphony, Modern Mixture (aka Scottish Blend), Navy Flake and Virginia #1.

Scottish Piper said:
A lot of people here recommend Prince Albert or Carter Hall, both drugstore brands, as a first tobacco. I am fairly new to pipe smoking and agree. They are both VERY easy to work with. They pack easy. They light easy. They stay lit easy, and they even taste pretty good.
Thanks for the info.
What do you know about Bob's chocolate flake?
I was thinking about trying that, but now I think I will follow your suggestion on using Carter Hall or P.A..

I tried the MacBaren #1 Virginia, and I found it to be akin to smoking gunpowder. I'm using the rest of the 2 ounces I bought to heat my home this winter.

user0003

It'll do that, but it's pretty good weed once you learn how to smoke it.

Prince Albert or Carter Hall are great to start with and for us FOGs point of reference or an old friend.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That's something in the traders section. I'm not 100% sure myself but I will add it to the list when I find out ASAP.

Edit:
FOG - Forum Old Guy,
FNG - Forum New Guy

Bobby 151

Whoo Hoo! I found youse(Thats Brooklyn NY for you all:XD:) Ya know i always thought the " F" meant something else.:D Ya learn something new every day around here.:th_dancing-chicken:

Sasquatch

Wizzard
I think Bob's Chocolate Flake would be an excellent first tobacco.

I recommend Frog Morton from McClelland and Best Brown Flake from Gawith as well, as being easy "can't miss" tobaccos.

Smoker99

An MM cob is the best you can buy. No, Bob's Chocolate Flake is not a good tobacco to start on. It is a flake, which requires some experience to handle, and it is flavored, which you should avoid to start. A cob with some Prince Albert is a good place to start to see if you like pipe smoking. Stick with non aromatic classic blends for a while.

jamie7

Hey LH,

You probably already bought the Bob's Chocolate Flake. I found that when I get something stuck in my head I'm gonna do it eventually so just go ahead and get it over with.

I have had a pretty shallow approach to trying new baccys - I want it, I buy it. You either get something you like, don't like, or will warm up to later.

I does help to use the search feature on here to read other's opinions on various tobaccos, as well as reading Tobacco Reviews .com

Smoke what you can get locally. Read alot on the net and place an order for what you can't get nearby once you have your pipe legs. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.