1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by derrickyoung, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Of the modest collection of pipes I have only 1 is/was a brand new pipe. It is a savinelli carmello rustic billiard. I bought it last spring and it sat unused until a couple of weeks ago mostly because I was very disappointed in it when it arrived.

I broke down and decided to use it, and loaded it up with one of my favourite blends. Well it tasted like crap. Today I decided to give it another go and again did not enjoy the smoke at all.

I understand that a pipe needs to be broken in and a cake built up, but is it common on a new pipe for tobacco that is normally a. Favourite to be unenjoyable?

Think I might need to stick to restored estate pipes

David Emond likes this.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I have definitely run into that. Peterson's are notorious for taking extra time to break in. Some I've bought unsmoked have been ok from the start, but a few have been really were quite vapid for several smokes. It should come around with time, but it may take some effort to get there. You may want to try one of the break-in tricks - focus on burley blends, use a light coating of honey, or (IMHO the most interesting, but untested by me) mixing grape jelly with some fine tobacco dust and making a light coating of that.

David Emond likes this.
  3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I asked this question recently in another part of the forum. Some pipes do not pair up well with some tobacco. I've found this to be the case with a few of my pipes. With my first two pipes...I thoroughly enjoy 1Q. With the others...not so much. I would test out a couple different varieties of tobacco before writing that pipe off. See if there might be something that works better with that pipe.

Like you...I've had GREAT luck with estate pipes (all were $20 or under). That's part of why I'm very hesitant to drop big money on any one pipe.
    https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/pairing-up-a-pipe-with-tobacco.25038/

David Emond likes this.
  4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I have a brand new Peterson that I bought last year. It is the St. Patrick day model. I have only smoked it a few times, because the break in tastes like crap. We need to find a volunteer here to break in new pipes for us. I don't know about others, but scorched briar does not taste good to me.

derrickyoung likes this.
  5. noodle

noodle Member

A thin coating of ash icing sugar and spit works wonders. Well it did on two new basket pipes I bought. However since discovering estate pipes that is behind me now. That includes a couple that were so caked up and the airway was so choked yhey needed drilling before you could begin to clean them.
    Couple of examples:-
    My invicta was so caked I couldnt get my index finger in around 4mm thick
    the shamrock by petersons i have was so gunked and full of cake, welded old tobacco i couldnt get any finger in and could hardly draw any air through it needed drilling and the stem soaking for four days with constant work with pipe cleaners to get it right.

the cost of each of those was less than £4 each

6. Linus

Linus Member

Some breaks in with no effort at all, some require suffering and agony, there are loads of tricks for shortening the break in process but most of them is said to make the cake sensitive. May i ask what about the pipe that was disapointing before you smoked it?

7. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Just the general appearance. The photos on the various web sites made the pipe look nice and somewhat classy. In reality it looks like cheap plastic

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Savinelli is likely the largest pipe producer in the world. They are usually good quality and a very good value. Prolly, what you are tasting is scorched briar. Give it an opportunity to form a carbon cake before you give up on it.

9. Linus

Linus Member

Thats a bit sad, i've seen some in my local pipeshop and those look nice, maybe you caught a bad one :/ but you could allwasy try to trade it of, im sure the good folk here could give it a good home :)

10. Prof

Prof Member

I had a Peterson that I had purchased new, a poker, that I was excited to try. I pulled her out of the box, loaded her up and went to town, and it tasted like crap, too. I realized that the bitter taste I was getting reminded me a lot of the saw dust I sometimes got in my mouth when sawing lumber, and further thought that it would make sense that there would be some dust in a newly drilled pipe too, so I promptly cleaned the thing with Everclear, stem and stummel, let it dry for a couple of days, and tried it again. Taste was not completely gone, but it was much better. I clean every new pipe now - have you noticed that some pipes bowls when new are smoother than others? I have had a couple that were like glass, and some that were downright rough - the smoother ones seemed to have less taste new than the rough ones, and that makes sense, with the dust theory, as the rough ones would hold more dust - smooth ones take a lot longer to build a cake too, in my experience.

derrickyoung likes this.
  11. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Thanks for all the information guys. I am going to park the savinelli till spring and then try her again. It is cold right now and if I am going out to the garage for a smoke I better damn well enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.