1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

new Sav a whistling

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by user2453, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

Muly savinelli Trevi 320 arrived from Amazon today. I took a test draw and am hearing a high pitched whistle! I took that to mean the pipe was improperly drilled and immediately packed it back up and started the return process.

I then came to realize the pipe takes a balsa filter and wondered, is that why the pipe is whistling? I don't know if I should have a bowl, if it whistles I am sure the pipe is not up to standard and I want to be able to return it if its not. What should I do?

2. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

I say return it, there's no reason to pay top dollar for a whistler.

But, if it's not worth the hastle to you, chances are you can stop the whistle.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  3. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

The filter was in there when you heard the whistle? Take it out and try again.
    If you hear the whistle without a filter in it, I would say it's improperly drilled. Send it back.
    But that's just me.

Splat, MainePipe and ruffinogold like this.
  4. user2453

user2453 Member

I don't know, the pipe is drilled twice, once in the bottom of the bowl, and once in the mortise.

5. user2453

user2453 Member

Well I guess that settles it. It whistles badly with or without a filter. Bummer

6. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

Shame! I have a beautiful Stanwell that whistled when I bought it (used). In my attempt to redrill, I snapped the tennon. :(

7. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

For whatever it's worth, I have a pipe that is very poorly drilled but it's a great smoker. It doesn't whistle though. I'm sure you like that 320 a lot except for the whistle. I think I would fill it up and give it a smoke to see what happens. The tobacco in the chamber might stop the whistling and it might smoke great. If it doesn't I'm sure you could find a member here that would fix it up for you.

My 320 is a wonderful smoker. I just took a dry test draw on it and there's a hissing but no whistle. I suppose you could exchange it but if it were me, I would try smoking it. Just my humble opinion.

8. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I just tried a dry draw on mine too. Pretty loud almost but not quite a whistle hiss. Maybe the nature of the shape?
    See if you can visually identify any obvious drilling errors, if not I would just smoke it. It won't whistle when it's full of tobacco.
    Mine is a fantastic smoker by the way. I have the Venere 320.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Is it the stem or the bowl - test 'em seperately. I wouldn't get super worried about this. It's easy to draw a huge amount of air through an empty pipe and say "Oh gawd it whistles!" but if you were actually smoking, you probably wouldn't be drawing that hard either....

Kiowapipe, fogpipe and Dondi like this.
  10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

If anything, the whistle is a good thing...when smoking, once you hear the whistle, you'll know that its time to stop...like a tobacco-level alarm...

11. user2453

user2453 Member

Ok, I will give it a smoke tonight. I do know someone that would probably fix it up for me if it is a problem.

Buckshot likes this.
  12. user2453

user2453 Member

Well, once again, sound advice. I started breaking in the pipe tonight with mini bowls of Storm Front, and the smoke was one of the best. I'm glad I sought the opinion of the forum before deciding.

Thanks everyone.

Dondi, MainePipe and Buckshot like this.
  13. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

I have a couple of pipes where the stem (not the bowl) whistles. Can it be sorted or is it just something you have to put up with and smoke accordingly - e.g. drawing more gently?

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah there's usually a fix. First and easiest is to take a counter-sink drill bit and cut a funnel shape on the end of the tenon if it doesn't have that already. If that doesn't it, a little work with a needle file inside the slot should.

A whistle is just an indication that air is sort of spinning around somewhere, and if you can get the pathway smoothed out, it will go away.

Splat, MikeyJ and Pipe Matt like this.
  15. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Many thanks. :)

16. CACooper

CACooper Member

Here's a fix that works most of the time.
    I always thought the whistling was being created at the tenon end, but through experience I discovered it's usually at the bit end. Sharp corners create a "flute" like condition and cause the noise. Sas got it right. Needle files to smooth out the airflow. Your Savinelli already has an large tenon opening to accomodate the balsa filter, so countersinking there isn't necessary. Smooth out the bit end.
    Give it a try and best of luck!
    CACooper
    [​IMG]

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Is it just 'whistlin Dixie'? :ohyh:

18. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Ted's on to something. If it's whistling "Dixie", then keep it. If it's whistling "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", return it immediately.

Malcontent, Dondi and Professor like this.
  19. CACooper

CACooper Member

Just tryin' to help the guy out and yooz guyz are crackin' jokes. Geee whiz! ;)

Professor likes this.
  20. Professor

Professor Active Member

:xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.