1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New Stanwell losing its shine?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by synt4x, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synt4x

synt4x Member

I bought a new Stanwell pipe from their "Vintage" line last month. It's a polished straight billiard. When I bought the pipe it was really shiny and glossy but after only a few smokes it sort of lost its shine a bit. There's still a shine to it but it's more matte now than glossy. I'm just wondering if this is normal. The pipe smokes great and is well constructed and so is a fine addition to my collection but it is bumming me out a little bit. Especially since a much cheaper pipe I have is still pretty shiny after a couple of years usage.

So again, is this normal? It's my first Stanwell and also the first pipe I spent a bit more money on, so I'm not sure what is considered normal or not on these. And is there something easy I can do to bring back the glossy surface?

2. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

The wax they used to buff it up is probably starting to wear off. This is normal. There are some threads in the pipe restoration subsection of pipe making forum that address this. Most guys clean up the pipe and reapply carnuba wax with a buffing wheel.

Got Pics?

PipeSimmo likes this.
  3. synt4x

synt4x Member

Sure here's a photo of it with my brand new Stanwell Golden Danish 19 that I got just yesterday. It's a large photo so I'll just link to it on my server.

http://synt4x.ath.cx/pipes/DSC_2544.JPG

Good to hear that it's normal. Guess I'll have to invest in some polishing equipment in the future. :)

Edit: Sorry I forgot! Thank you for answering so quickly.

4. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Looks like normal wear to me. Nice pipes too.

5. synt4x

synt4x Member

Great! And thanks. I love them. Both of them smoke really well.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

If you give it a rub with a soft cloth it will shine up again I bet. There's still carnauba on the pipe but it's probably got finger oil and dirt and stuff on it... you can just give it a buff and it will come back. But smooth pipes don't stay factory shiny in my experience unless they are coated with acrylic or something.

7. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Wow - that sandblasted Stanwell is very, very nice!

8. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Let the shine go. The less wax, the better the smoke.

9. Moose

Moose Active Member

I can't help you on your loss of shine issue, but those are both attractive pipes. Congrats.

10. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Briar Pipe Wipe is an aerosol you spray onto a micromesh cloth and allow to dry. Then you can wipe down your pipe with it whenever it starts to lose its shine. Most pipes are just buffed with carnuba wax. It begins to wear off after a few smokes. Just wiping it down with a Pipe Wipe after each smoke will help keep the shine on it.

I don't know if they still market Briar Pipe Wipe, or not, but one can has lasted me almost 10 years now. It's probably the most economical pipe maintenance equipment I've ever bought.

11. synt4x

synt4x Member

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful advise. Yes that sandblasted one is quickly turning out to be my favorite both aesthetics-wise and smoke-wise. I have a feeling I'll be obtaining a lot more Stanwells in the future.

I'll look around for some of that Briar Pipe Wipe or something similar to it, and in the meantime I'll try wiping it with a cloth. Thanks again!

12. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

If you do invest in a buffing wheel system be sure to go easy especially around the nomenclature. You can buff the words right off! Nice pipes also.

13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I use Denicare pipe polish by Denicotea, it's a soft white wax you can apply with your finger and polish with a soft cloth for a nice shine, works well.

14. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Halcyon II is for sandblasted pipes.

15. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Looks nice the way it is but I know once you shine it it'll look like million bux!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.