New Stock

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CalPiper, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Headed over to my local B&M at lunch looking to grab some more pipe cleaners and what do I see?? They have a new shipment of Peterson University Flake and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe on the shelves! So what was supposed to be a $5 trip turned into something much more enjoyable!!:D

Mark w4mms, Smoking Gun, Capt and 6 others like this.

2. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

LOL!! I did the same thing last night too.
    I eneded up with a new tin of Esoterica Margate.

CalPiper likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Isnt it wonderful when a trip just for cleaners ends up including the acquisition of great Toby?!

Congrats Guys and hope you enjoy!

CalPiper likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

It's like a double Christmas... ;)

Preacher1611 and CalPiper like this.
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Wish I could state the same. I'm not about
    to pay twice as much as a tin is worth; which
    is what my local is charging. So, bully for you!
    I'll stick to just buying pc's and leave the tins
    for the suckers that don't buy online.

6. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I cant complain about the price, only about $12 for the tin of University Flake. I know I could probably shave a couple bucks off if I bought online. But that extra $2 is worth having it in my pipe and smoking tonight!!:byg:

Mark w4mms and SouthBound like this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Niice, good for you! Enjoy, I love it when stuff like that happens! :puffy:

CalPiper likes this.
  8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Plus no online shipping charge..

Mark w4mms and CalPiper like this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You know, one of these days the government will stop the purchase of online tobacco of any kind and a lot of people will miss their local tobacco shop when it has gone out of business, that's why I support mine on a regular basis and pay a little extra and hopefully they will still be here when the ability to purchase tobacco on line has gone the way of the do-do bird.

DWB232 and CalPiper like this.
  10. el guero

el guero Member

True but when they charge $30 for a 50g tin it a person can't afford to buy more than pipe cleaners there.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Some of the sentiments expressed here are from people who live in areas where there actually is a B&M tobacconist, where they do NOT pay literally four times market value. Let's not a make a moral issue about where other people live. We aren't all dealing with the same circumstances. I too prefer to support small businesses and don't mind paying a bit more to do it, but that is not always possible because of availability or price gouging or government/taxation issues.

A B&M store must necessarily charge more due to the cost of running the place relative to volume of sales. That has to be accepted. But if price gouging and unrealistic pricing polices add to that, then the market says they will go down. There is one tobacconist in my area that puts absurd prices on everything in his store. He is famous for it. I do not care, at all, if he goes out of business as a result of his own greed. That is his decision, not mine. I feel absolutely no moral obligation to let him rip me off. I like him, he's an interesting fellow but I do not owe him a living.

Will I buy locally and pay five bucks more per 50 gr? Yes, I will. But will I do it to pay literally twenty five to thirty dollars more for the same tin. Of course not. Neither would anyone who has a choice. It is not a moral or political decision, it is a financial decision.

Preacher1611, DanielO and el guero like this.
  12. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Good point, I didn't realize what some folks pay at their local tobacconist.....most of the 50g tins at the one I go to are typically $12.95....depending on blend, I think the highest is $15.95...

13. DanielO

DanielO Member

The only pipe tobacccos I can get locally are CH and PA, and they are 10-15 dollars more per tub than buying on line. The only place that sells cigars overcharges in a ridiculous way. I could buy five of my favorite cigar from him, or a box of 30 from JR for the same price. Including shipping. It's not taxes - Kansas has some of the lowest tobacco taxes in the nation. If Internet pipe tobacco sales ever become illegal, I'm stuck smoking Prince Albert and overpaying for the experience. I'm stocking up as I can afford it, but that's slow going.

14. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Yeah agreed, I have seen some overseas posters here on other threads talk about the absurd tin prices they pay for over there, like $20-$30 per tin. That is absurd to say the least. And yes if my local B&M started charging that much for tins I have a feeling the locals would buy him a free round of Molotov Cocktails.:startl:

15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've never seen a tin for less than than $25 and $35 or $37.50 is common. A small store owned by an Iranian fellow is the only one I've found that sells tins for under thirty bucks. Even bulk is typically twenty five to thirty five dollars for 50gm. depending on which store you go to. The price gouger I previously referred to, sells his house blends for thirty five dollars per fifty grams. It is very good quality stuff but not for the price.

I believe it is even worse in Australia where forty to fifty bucks per tin is common. It costs me about $120 per month to smoke two hundred grams per month. Oddly enough, I'm looking for ways to get around this absurdity and social engineering via taxation that the Canadian Government is so fond of. I'm sick of paying 'sin tax' in a supposedly secular country.

This is supposedly to reduce cigarette smoking but in truth, it costs more to smoke a pipe than it cost when I smoked cigarettes. And that is taxed smokes, not the stuff from the native reserves which I had access to. Sorry this is so long. I be right riled about this crap. This social engineering has destroyed tobacco farming in Canada, wiping out an important source of seasonal employment for university students. Now there is track housing covering what was once farm land.:mad:

Mark w4mms and CalPiper like this.
  16. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Outside of the most common OTC's, there is nothing available close to me for tobacco. I would have to drive at least a 60 mile round trip to purchase from a B&M, and even with a good gas mileage car, the fuel cost and aggravation of driving into Atlanta isn't worth the trouble for me. I guess if online tobacco purchases become illegal, I'm just screwed.

17. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Thats when you grow your own illegally and then tell prying eyes its for "medicinal" purposes:rolleyes:

Preacher1611, Mark w4mms and MacNutz like this.
  18. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

That is legal in Canada. In a few years i suspect tobacco will be as illegal as pot is in the States and used to be here in Canada. I have a license to buy medical pot, which is not taxed. I only pay sales tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.