New to Aromatics

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jazzman1021, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzman1021

Jazzman1021 Member

Hi to all. Having been an English, Balkan, Vaper, Virginia Flake smoker; although I love GH scented brown and dark brown flakes as well as SG Navy Flake. I am interested in entering the realm of the aromatics. Two tobaccos that seem to be calling me are: GH American Cherry Vanilla and GH Top Cherry. Can any of you expert smokers advise me on these or other aros that are not obnoxious. I"ve heard many bad things, but there have to be some good ones out there. Thank the Lord have a wife the likes the room note of Latakia. Maybe I'm doing this to give the darling a break.

Best wishes to all.

jazzman1021

Old Codger likes this.

2. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Try American Blend Sweet Peach (might be sold under GH on some internet stores), there are few aromatics that I really like but this ranks up there, it's one of the few that actually tastes like how it smells. Another one to look out for is Germain's Plum Cake, tastes more of honey to me but that's by the by, you have to be careful with it though as if you smoke it too quickly it'll give you some tonguebite.

Old Codger and David Emond like this.
  3. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Molto Dolce
    Blackberry Brandy
    McClelland Three Cherry
    Shortcut to Mushrooms
    MV1000
    Frog Morton Cellar

Can't go wrong with any of the above.

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

GH Brown Flake Scented is a favourite of mine. Others you might try are MacBaren Vanilla Flake or Vanilla Cream loose cut, or Petersons Connoisseurs Choice, Dans Blue Note, Devils Holiday and Milonga are also worth a try.

And while not necessarily an aromatic from the standpoint of room note, I have to give a plug for Grasmere Flake, also from GH - if you like Brown Flake Scented, you might also like this.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Petersons Connoisseurs Choice, Deluxe, & Sunset Breeze. Soloni Sweet Mystery & Green Label. McLintocks Black Cherry. Stanwells Vanilla. Sam Gawiths Fire Dance & Celtic Talisman.

Old Codger likes this.
  6. Capt

Capt Active Member

McClelland MC2000
    McClelland Town Topic
    P&C Trout Stream
    Dan's Blue Note
    Stanwell Melange (cheap too)

7. Smokey

Smokey Member

Rattray's Bagpipers Dream is not obnoxious at all and is a fine smoke. Topped with Cognac I believe and you can definitely taste the Virginias.

8. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

My favorite aros to date are:

Davidoff's Danish Mixture
    C & D's Berry Good
    Stokkebye's Mellow Mocha

I should note that I don't like goopy or cloying and like to taste the underlying leaf.

9. Jazzman1021

Jazzman1021 Member

Hi to all. Thanks for the info. I do happen to enjoy GH Brown and Dark Brown scented. I guess I'll have to start saving up some $$$$ so I can star trying these different blends. Keep 'em coming. I, too don't like the syrupy goopy stuff. Thanks again for all the help.

Best wishes to all.

jazzman1021

10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

The Peterson special reserve and summertime this year are particularly good, both aromatics at their best.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

No doubt , try the G&H Top Black Cherry ! let it sit out an hour before ya light it up .The black cherry flavor stays throughout the bowl but is never way up front like an Altadis [ which is awesome ] kind of way . You can taste tobacco to a point and it is a very pleasurable smoke . It smokes cool and pretty slow too !

As far as other aros go , the skys the limit . I know youre asking about a certain style of aromatic so I'd suggest the following :

SG Fire Dance

PS LTF

McClelland #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake

Lane MV 1000 [ a touch more aromatic but easy enough ]

SWRA [ Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic ] This blend rocks . It isn't a black Cavendish OTC . It smokes dry and is maybe the easiest blend in the world to light and keep lit . If you like the aromatic flavor , then youre good to go

Joe Ahearn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.