1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

New (to me) Comoy's Tradition [pic heavy]

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Elliottws, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliottws

Elliottws Member

As the title states I picked up an estate Comoy's tradition. I have a few questions that go along with this, hopefully one of you guys can reaffirm or shed some light on this. 1) is my dating of this pipe correct? I believe it to be made in the 1930's. 2) the shape or model number I believe to be 42 or 42x. It looks like the third number could possibly be a 1, 7, or the edge of the stamper left an indent. I did some research and will leave supporting evidence with each picture to back my claim. There are a couple of crack in the shank, which I have super glued. I may get it banded when I have some spare change. On with the show. References came from GLpease, and pipedia websites.
    Before pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pic that help date the pipe, these pics were taking through a 10x loupe.

Glpease website:
    In the twenties through at least 1938, "COMOY'S," is stamped in upper case serif type, with the "C" larger than the rest, printed on a slight curve. The typeface is somewhat more ornamented than that used in later years. The grade of the pipe is stamped in block letters directly under the "COMOY'S" stamping. The place of origin stamp is "LONDON" over "MADE," in a sort of football shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pipedia website: Inlaid “C”

However, the “C” in the 1920s and early 30s is much thinner and more delicate than the one post-war. Cadogan first changed the “C” to a single drilling with an inlay that had the “C” in the centre, and more recently it became a laser imprint.

shape stamp 42 or 42x

[​IMG]

Please let me know your thoughts. In case your wondering, less than $5 including shipping!!

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I believe is is a 421. Nice score for 5 bucks!

3. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Don't know much about Comoy's but it's definately a nice pipe!

4. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Member

nice score. I'll give ya 10

5. furious

furious Junque collector

1940s most likely probably just after the war. the football shape london made was quite popular then.

Lithua pipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.