New to Pipe - Need Advice on Pipes and Tobacco

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by jplayland, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jplayland

jplayland Member

My history with pipes:
    About 8 years ago I went to my cousin's fantasy/renaissance themed wedding dressed as a wizard with the cheapest pipe (corn cob, $2.99) and tobacco I could buy locally. I enjoyed it very much, until the next few days of coughing.

Come last week, I was out at a party and ended up talking with a guy smoking pipe, smelled great. He let me try a couple of puffs, good stuff. Wish I got the name of the tobacco he was smoking.

I'm a nerd and really want a Churchwarden, but would like a second more practical pipe as well. I can't wrap my head around the differences in pipe materials. It seems as briar is best, but how much difference is there between it and the other hardwoods used? I'm just starting, so I don't want to buy a super top quality/price pipe. I would like to get both pipes for a total under $100.

Pipe 1: Churchwarden (I still have my Wizard outfit, maybe I will go to the renaissance festival.)
    Looking for Good Quality Smoke + Great Looking
    This one looks good, don't know about quality... http://cgi.ebay.com/150582923890

Pipe 2: You name it, Practical, I tend to like bent
    Looking for Great Smoke + Not too ugly

Tobacco: I have a humidor full of cigars. I like peppery, smooth, medium/full body. The thing that sets pipe apart for me is the sweetness and moisture of the tobacco. I like the hint of maple syrup in the background. What would you recommend? My local shop is very limited, is there an online shop or two you recommend?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Tobacco we can nail - Dark Twist from Mac Baren.

If you want a pipe that goes "both ways" have a look at the Stanwell "Hans Christian Anderson" pipes - they are a churchwarden that comes with a short stem too. Good pipe, good value, right around 100 bucks (at last look). The one you are looking at on ebay looks all right too, but of course until you see/use a pipe, it's hard to tell if it's any good.

Briar is certainly more resilient to heat and moisture than most woods. To be sure, you can make pipes from other woods, but for daily purposes, briar is the tried and true material.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd second Sasquatch's recommendation on the HCA, as I like options. For your second pipe (and third and fourth, if you want to get a nice rotation going for cheap) I heartily recommend a corn cob from Missouri Meerschaum. Most cost less than ten bucks, they smoke great, and are excellent starters that you will find yourself continuing to smoke even as you build a nice collection of briars (the last two bowls I smoked were in cobs, and I've been at this for twenty years and have a couple of racks full of wonderful briars, myself). The $2.99 cob you got years ago was probably a MM knock-off, so don't judge them by your experiences with that one. I know there are more attractive pipes than cobs out there, but if you buy something cheap that smokes lousy, you probably won't need it for long anyway.

As far as a nice briar for under $100, Savinelli makes a great pipe. :puffy:

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum!

Herb

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Welcome aboard! I'll third what Sas, and Herb said... these guys always have great recommendations. I'll also give a big thumbs up on the Savinelli, they make great pipes at affordable prices.

HCraven likes this.
  5. jplayland

jplayland Member

I took a look at the pipes that can convert from Churchwarden to a short pipe, while they are cool, they aren't quite what I am looking for from a Churchwarden. I want an old world "wizard" pipe. :cool: Something more rustic than the HCA pipes.

I hit up strongirish since he was referred to in so many deal posts I ran into. I think I will try out what he sends and pick up a cob pipe too. Then I am down to just the Churchwarden to look for. Is F.E.S.S. a known maker, they make the Churchwarden I linked to in my original post? Good?Bad?

As far as tobacco, I looked up Dark Twist from Mac Baren on tobaccoreviews.com and it didn't sound like it would be as sweet as I am looking for to start. Also, where should I look to buy it from? Currently I have Captain Black Gold from the local shop. It's pretty good, but could be a hint sweeter.

6. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Another option is a Brebbia "Twin".

It has 4 different shapes of bowls offered. Wizardlike ehhhhh? The "Amaranth" would be a nice wizardlike deep-long cone has sort of an old clay tavern pipe shape.

The long stem breaks into two sections and you can have all of your churchwarden AND your regular length pipe in one single pipe combo bag.

~$110 +/-

Ed
    Pufff

8. jplayland

jplayland Member

The Churchwardens I like best are the wood stem version, that connect directly to the bowl. I don't like the transitions from bowl to stem or wood portion of the stem to the plastic stem. Are there a lot of issues (breaking) with wood stem pipes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/170677411772

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

For a cheap, bent that has some character, get a Dr. Grabow Omega. It will fun you about $30 USD

10. jplayland

jplayland Member

I ordered 2 pipes from strongirish and one cob. I think I have the pipes covered now.

The real question is what to put in them.

Is there any type of newbie sampler trade? I did this when I first started smoking cigars. I traded a box of cigars for a sampler from a guy with a huge humidor full.

11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

There is a forum where you can trade with others, or if you want you can shoot me a pm with your address, and I'll mail you some over the counter Prince Albert

12. jplayland

jplayland Member

Prince Albert? Hope that doesn't have anything to do with a piercing.

13. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

No, It is just the name of the tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.