NEW TOBACCO AND A DR. GRABOW

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I was eating lunch at my favorite Chines Buffet a couple of days ago, and saw that a new B&M had opened up a few doors down. Like most B&M's in Johnson County, it was devoted to cigarettes and drug paraphernalia. But this one had a bunch of Dr. Grabows, so I bought a Small Apple Grand Duke to use as my office pipe. They had a decent selection of OTC's, so while I was picking up a pipe, I thought I'd just pick up a pouch of Half and Half, a Pouch of Sir Walter, and a pouch of some stuff called Super Value Natural Cavendish while I was at it. (Does this qualify as a case of TAD)?

The Dr. Grabow is a decent smoking little pipe, and it's just the right size for any occasional short smoke so it makes for a great office pipe. The Super Value isn't half bad, and a $3.99 a pouch it turned out to be a pretty good bargain. I'll definitely be buying it again in the future. The Sir Walter was alright, but having smoked Prince Albert for going on a year, I think the Sir Walter is pretty bland by comparison.

Then there's the Half and Half - just terrible. I did not enjoy it. To me, it had no flavor, no body, and had a room note that reminded me of dog droppings. (Seriously - I'm not trying to be over the top on this). I threw out the pouch. I'm willing to try one more pouch just to see if I had the bad luck of just happening to buy a bad one - but I'm in no hurry to give it a second chance.

Half and Half was another of my Uncle Danny's favorites. I've tried all his other favorites and enjoyed them, so it makes me wonder if Pinkerton has changed the recipe/formula for the worst or if I just had a stroke of bad luck on that one pouch.

Has anyone else been horrified by Half and Half lately?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The codgers say that it has changed for the worse. I wouldn't know, but the pouch I smoked a while back was enjoyable enough. I think I recall it had an aniseed/licorice thing going on...might be what gave you fits. I like that flavoring, so it wasn't a chore for me. Now my son bought a pouch and says it's horrible. To each his own.

Those little Grabows are great little knock around pipes. The Duke I own has outperformed my expectations of it...not to mention it was $16 new!

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

No, I bought a few pouches last month and have smoke them without any issues. It is a love it or hate it tobacco though. I love it in a cob.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Sorry to hear the Half and Half didn't work for you - I must admit I've enjoyed it whenever I've tried it - an unusual mixture of cinammon, aniseed liquorice and earthy notes; I'd agree it's probably a love it or loathe it tobacco.

I'm finding those little Grabows are excellent for a short smoke - Brian sent me a Lark and a Duke recently, and I find them ideal for a smoke outside the pub while my friends work their way hrough a couple of cigarettes - a lotta pipe for little money!

Best as ever

Gerry

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I picked up a Grabow Grand Duke a few weeks ago. Smaller chamber than my others, making it ideal for mid-day breaks or cross-town trips in the car.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm with you on the Half & Half. Easily one of my 5 worst smoking experiences ever. I smoke and enjoy a fair number of OTC tobaccos, but H&H isn't one of them.

7. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

I love Dr. G's, and I enjoy Half and Half a lot! The flavor and room note is mostly of cranberries and fruitcake. I don't detect any anise (licorice) flavoring at all, and I think I would if it were there since I hate it with a passion.
    How anyone could describe it as dog droppings is beyond me. It also is one that gets better diown the bowl a ways. Give it another try and smoke slow!!! It is a fine blend of exactly what it says.... Burly and Bright (Virginia) and again I think topped with cranberry.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I just had a bad pouch or not, so I'm going to give H&H another shot. The Sir Walter I bought there is less flavorful than I remember, also, so it may just be that the guy had a run of bad stock or just stale, God-knows-how-old stuff. I think I'll be trying another vendor as well, since I don't have much use for Cheap cigarettes and drug paraphernalia.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A-ha! That's the best explanation for why I don't like it that I've ever heard! Sometimes the topping choice just isn't to our taste... which doesn't make the tobacco bad. But I agree with you - I didn't taste any licorice in it. I may have liked the blend if I had.

10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Half&Half is a funny tobacco,i enjoy it from time to time but when i get a fresh pouch i'll dump it out and let it dry for a few hours,it seems to mellow it a bit for me.SWR is another classic burley that i enjoy also love the big chunks great for blending.

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Half & Half is not the tobacco it used to be, it seems the old time curing process has been replaced by some kind of additive and/or chemical process, no, you did not get a bad pouch; it now tastes like that... I had not smoked it for many years when I picked up a pouch a year or two ago and about coughed to death. This used to be a great burley/virginia blend in a cob, now its crap! "Thumps Up" on the Dr. Grabow pipe!

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yes ... I have. I think that's why they call it Half & Half!

13. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Nope, smoking it right now in fact. I like it myself and don't throw away, send to me. I find it perfect in a cob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.