1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Newb with a new pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by adam, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam

adam New Member

Hey there everyone the names Adam and I work at my local cigar shop. I have been a huge cigar fiend for years and decided id give pipe smoking a try. started about a month ago and so far am really enjoying it. I have been smoking out of my nordings that i ad been smoking on and off randomly for the past year or so. i recently ordered a Churchwarden pipe made by Macqueen called then Halfling.I got it in the mail packed a bowl and it smoked great i didnt even have to relight. since im awfully new at pipes i was curious if any of you had any suggestions on Tobacco blends to try. i am having a hard time not getting tongue bite but i think it is mainly from smoking to fast. luckily with the churchwarden the stem is so long it helps keep the tobacco cool. if any of you have any tips on breaking in a pipe, how to smoke slower but being able to keep the tobacco lit for more than three puffs, or any specific packing techniques outside of the 3 step and the air pocket im open for suggestions and would love to learn more about pipes and pipe tobacco. thanks

2. adam

adam New Member

or if you have any suggestion on other churchwarden pipes i should try thanks.

3. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

adam...as you didn't say which tobacco's you've tried, I can only guess at what you may like. I prefer flaked tobacco myself. Don't know if you've tried any flakes, but there is one, that's widely acknowledged to be great, and smooth, with no bite.....Dunhill Flake. It's pure, high-quality Virginia tobacco, and relatively, not inexpensive. You can find a 50g tin on-line for $12-$14, in a shop, probably close to $20. Hope this helps.

4. adam

adam New Member

I am sorry I am not aware of the blends im not sure what the difference between aromatics and all the other blends are but I have tried dunhill flake and it was too mild for me. I have tried re local shops blend called blackwells blend and arts blend. Since you are not from here I doubt you are aware if it. But I have tried butternut burley, deep hollo, trouts stream, anniversary kake I enjoyed these but im really looking for something with a more robust flavor I suppose. Not sure how to describe pipe tobacco since I really only know how to describe cigars atm. Appreciate the help though

5. Zfog

Zfog Member

Iwould suggest maybe a plug tobacco such as GL Pease Jacknife Plug, since you are coming from cigars. Another I would suggest is Frog Morton, as most noobs seem to enjoy it as I have.
    One suggestion I think may help you is to let your tobacco dry out a little more before smoking. This may help with your tongue bite.

nitehawk likes this.
  6. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

adam....have you checked out tobaccoreviews.com? All kinds of reviews, on just about every type of pipe tobacco, including what leaf, or leaves, are used, strength, taste, etc.

7. adam

adam New Member

I have heard about tobaccoreview.com I will def. Check it out. And ok ill def. Give those a try thank you!

8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

And he's off to the races! When I discovered Tobacco Reviews, I probably blew $1000 on tins of tobacco that month.
    And what happens when you have too much tobacco and not enough pipes? Had to acquire a dozen or so more of those too.
    Then I found this forum and the members here have thankfully restored me to some form of sanity. (yeah, right)

So try a few more, post the names and your impressions, and meet us over at the FNG/FOG Swap section.
    Oh, and welcome to PSF (and PAD, and TAD)...

Dondi likes this.
  9. DocB

DocB Active Member

Welcome Adam... Enjoy yourself.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome, Adam! You may want to give Peterson's
    Irish Flake a try. Potent, and full of flavour.

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.