Newb with some questions

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Crunky944, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunky944

Crunky944 New Member

Hey guys, I enjoy smoking a cigar on occasion, and I would like to get into pipe smoking. I have tried going through this section looking for answers, sorry if anything I ask has already been answered.

I have read suggestions for new guys to get a cheap cob pipe to start on, my question is, does it matter much when it comes to a cob pipe? Is there anything in specific I should be looking at? I have been looking at cheap pipes on ebay, and it looks like I can get 2 or 3 pipes for under $10. Should I stay away from them, and is it a good idea to get multiples to test out different tobaccos in each?

Also, how much tobacco do you reccomend I purchase just to test the waters? Any other recommendations for a new guy?

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

I would be sure to get a Missouri meerschaum if you want a cob, as far as tobacco i would try to get some samplers instead of committing to tins.... unless you want to.

yinyang likes this.
  3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Cobs are a great way to get started and many experienced smoker's are cob smokers. Though I have 2 meers and 5 briars, cobs are the only pipes I smoke anymore and I have 12 that I regularly smoke. I order my Prides direct from the factory and specify the "Danish" stem.

I'd only buy Missouri Meerschams and this is the pipe I recommend: http://www.corncobpipe.com/home.php?cat=269

I smoke these on a regular basis and, along with natural Diplomats (no longer available) are my "go to" pipes. I lean toward the non-plaster finished pipe which are nicer looking and don't show wear like the natural's. I think the plaster finished cobs probably are the most popular.

One ounce of tobacco will give you around 15-16 or more bowls in a Pride.

You should try a variety of tobaccos: Virginia, Virginia/perique, Balkan and some aromatics. Lots of folks recommend Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I'm sure others will chime in shortly. There are several online vendors that sell small quantities.

Here's a good resource for tobaccos: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Welcome to PSF.

WyoBob

yinyang likes this.
  4. Crunky944

Crunky944 New Member

Cool thanks guys. And thanks for the links Wyobob!

5. Crunky944

Crunky944 New Member

WyoBob, I see that pipe is filtered, it is removable I assume? What is your take on filters? From the research I've done, it seems most pipe smokers do not like filters. I only ask because I know next to nothing about pipes, thanks for the advice!

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I don't use the paper filters. I cut a 1 inch section of pipe cleaner, fold it into a "V "and insert it where the filter goes. Fold it to where it exerts "spring" pressure so it won't fall into the shank.

The draw is a bit too free with nothing in the stem of MM cobs, IMO, and the P.C. filter increases draw while catching tobacco bits, some tars and moisture. If you choose to use nothing and the draw is too easy, some folks handle this by tamping down harder. Something I prefer not to do.

Another solution is:
    http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/cobs___stems.html I have one of their nose warmer stems and you can switch them from cob to cob for the most part but cob mortises vary. I have a 2-3 cobs that are too tight for my Forever stem.

WyoBob

7. woody

woody Admin Admin

yinyang likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I agree with the MM cobs and the Walker Forever stem. If you wear out a cob you can put the stem on a new one. They remove the need for a filter and look cool too. I'd stay away from the Chinese made pipes.

Just remember, the first 5-6 bowls in a cob may taste a bit like burnt corn. Once they get a good char going, the really smooth out. Don't jamb a pick or pipe tool into the bottom of a cob to avoid damaging it.

I'd recommend getting a single tin or a 2 oz sample of bulks until you get the feel for what you like. Your tastes will change the longer you smoke, so I wouldn't throw out something you don't like. Jar it up in a mason or baby food jar and come back to it later; you just might like it next time.

yinyang likes this.
  9. ichabod

ichabod Member

I haven't been at this very long at all but here is what I can share...

Any cob should do as long as it's a missouri meerschaum, they are THE corn cob people.

The cheap estate (used) pipes you find on ebay, well if something strikes you and you like it nothing is holding you back. However the longer you stick with this and read around here the more you will learn about pipes and can have a better idea of what to look for on ebay.

Filters...again a personal decision. I don't use them. Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

Tobacco is tricky as each person has distinct tastes and preferences. Do you live anywhere near a tobacco shop that caters to pipe smokers? If so, and if they sell bulk, have a smell of all their jars and see what strikes you. I would only buy a little at first though in case you end up not liking it. No more than an ounce or so. That's a good way to try out some aromatics and such, maybe some virginias etc, depending on what they have to offer. You could see what flavors/aromas you favor and go from there.

I spent a ton of time reading through the tobacco section here, getting an idea for what is good and so on...however, just take it all with a grain of salt. Again, everyone has different tastes. You will find that there are certain tobaccos that get mentioned quite often, that everyone seems to love...those are usually a safe bet that they will be good. Prince Albert and Carter Hall is what I started with and still smoke Carter Hall as my daily/all day smoke. I love it. I save the "fancier" stuff and tins for the evenings or weekends when I have a chance to sit and really enjoy what I am smoking.

Also, the longer you stick around the more you will get a feel for certain members and what they like...soon you may start to see where your own tastes take you and can go off of what others say who have similar tastes. Some tobaccos are really strong and some not so much. Some will wake your dog/cat/wife pack up and move to the next state, some that smell insanely great. There is a ton of them out there, if you find you aren't liking any figure out what the common factor is with what you're smoking...you might want to change directions.

It takes a while to get used to and can be a bit discouraging to some at first.

Since you are used to cigars somewhat, you might want to try some cigar leaf pipe tobaccos maybe. I have never tried any so I can't really help but there are some out there.

yinyang likes this.
  10. Crunky944

Crunky944 New Member

Cool thanks for the help guys!

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I can't top the expert replies given, so...welcome to PSF! :)

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Any cob with a Missouri Meerschaum sticker on the bottom will serve you fine. And yeah, they're a great way to start out. They smoke great, don't require too much fuss, and are dirt cheap. As far as tobacco, shop around a bit and try to get some samples. Here's one online seller that I'd recommend:
    http://wvsmokeshop.com/pipetobacco.aspx
    You can order a bunch of one ounce samples from them to try to figure out what you like. Other online sellers will do the same if you contact them and let them know what you're thinking about. If you're lucky enough to have a local tobacconist, that's also a great (if pricier) way to go.
    Many pipe tobaccos ("aromatic" tobaccos) are highly flavored with things like vanilla or fruit essences. There's nothing wrong with them (the good ones, anyway), but if you're already a cigar smoker, I'd guess that you can appreciate a nice genuine tobacco flavor. In addition to trying a bunch of samples, you might want to get a tin of a really good Virginia or English blend. Maybe something like Rattray's Old Gowrie or Dunhill's Standard Mixture. Let us know if you have any other questions- good luck and welcome to PSF :puffy:

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Welcome to PSF!! I echo the Cob suggestion. I have 4 and they are my go to Pipe. I also agree on samples. An excellent way to try different blends. The key thing in my NEWB mind? Have fun, enjoy and happy smoking!! Beale.

Kiowapipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.