Newbee question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by icedad, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icedad

icedad Member

I just received a tin of Frog Morton in the Cellar today. Popped it open to smoke a bowl and found a chunk of charred on one side wood in there? I have my own thoughts about why it is there, but figured I should ask the experts out here. Why is this in the tobacco?

Thanks, Randy

2. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

It is a piece of whiskey barrel, "
    A mellow, fragrant Latakia blend aged with stave cubes cut from barrels used to mature and flavor Frog Morton's own special whiskeys".
    It may add a hint of whiskey flavor, I have a tin of their Stave Aged Virginia in the cellar to be opened in a few years to see if it makes much of an impact over time.

inkybat and icedad like this.
  3. icedad

icedad Member

Is it to help flavor the baccy and should I put in back in the jar with the baccy? I love the this stuff. Very tasty and flavorful. :sh:

4. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

GlassEye is correct. The piece of whiskey barrel is included to impart some extra flavor, which time in cellaring may in fact enhance. This is one of my very favorite blends, being a part of my regular rotation. Great stuff.

5. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Yes, leave it in with the tobacco.

icedad likes this.
  6. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I think that's the intention, I would probably keep it in the tobacco until it is gone, but it likely won't make much difference in the short-term.

7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

After the tobacco is gone take the whisky barrel stave and make a tamper out of it. That would be cool.

MakDragon and surlysoul like this.
  8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

That piece of oak also holds moisture, removing it can accelerate the dehydration of your frog cellar. At least, that is how it happened to my tin. It managed to disappear into my pipe until that darn piece of oak was all that was left. :rolleyes:
    It's good stuff, and if you smoke it slowly *and cool* you can taste the whiskey through almost the entire bowl.

LostDog13 and icedad like this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have a tin but I'm yet to pop it. I have plans to craft a small end table from the wood block after the tobacco is smoked. I hate to waste.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  10. Moose

Moose Active Member

Mmmmmm....Frog Morton Cellar. I was gifted some of this so I didn't observe a piece of stave.

Is this the only blend they put it in?

11. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I kept mine in the jar. Seems kinda hokie but what the hell. :)

12. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

If I remember my conversation with Mike from McClelland correctly he went through several experiments to get where he is in regards to the Cellar blend.

At first he was packing the tobacco into the barrels themselves but didn't get the results he was looking for. Later he cut down the barrels and inserted a piece into each tin. He explained other methods he tried briefly but the method of inserting the wood into the tin was the only one he found that produced an even flavor throughout the tobaccos.

Mike said this was his greatest achievement as a blender and because of age and physical issues he doesn't plan on doing anymore special projects.

icedad likes this.
  13. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

That's just cool. I just traded (well, going into the mail today) for some. I may just try to shape it into a tamper if my piece is large enough.

User3940 likes this.
  14. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

That's gonna be one very small end table unless you are planning to save up blocks from a few thousand tins.
    You could do a chess board. You only need something like 64 blocks for that.

Thuber88 and inkybat like this.
  15. Prof

Prof Member

There is another, the stave aged VA. Also good stuff, should be much better with some age.

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That's actually not a bad idea.

17. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

this raises a question. I have yet to pop the single tin that I posess, but I'm sure that some of the hardcores here have gone through many.
    Would popping that chunk into something similar and jarring it have a substansial effect on the aging of that tobacco?

Ex: if McClelland has something similar in bulk, could setting it up for a period of time with the wood in it effect it enough to move that blend more toward the flavor profile of FMC?

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I have found the whiskey flavoring turns into a nice vanilla-esque flavor...good stuff, that Frog Morton's basement...

LostDog13 and icedad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.