Newbie Black Cavendish so far, with a question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by derangedhermit, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

First I tried McClelland VBC, Vanilla Black Cavendish, and I didn't like it. It had a strong, flat flavor that took me days to place. It tastes to me (no offense meant, just what came to mind) like fresh asphalt.

Next, on a whim, I threw a pouch of CB Dark in an order, and lo and behold, I like the taste! It's great except at the first, when you have to put out the flame after you light it, and later when it's time to clean the pipe. Pleasant room note, too.

I'd rather avoid buying more CB Dark, so I was thinking about buying some Lane BCA. Sound like a positive move?

2. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Captain Black Dark, and Lane BCA are nearly the same thing. Quite a few people who have smoked both indicate the difference is minimal. So the BCA would be a good choice.

I've smoked both CB Dark, and BCA, and find them both to be excellent. CB Dark is one of my favorite tobaccos at the moment, great room note, and wonderful flavor!

If you can find it locally, Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is said to be the same thing as Lane BCA as well.

derangedhermit and woody like this.
  3. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

It goes without saying, we are all different and so are our likes and dislikes in tobacco. The trip to finding you favorite blend might be lengthy or short. As your tastes change you will have to search to find other blends which meet your needs. It is a part of your trip into the world of pipe smoking. I wish I had a $1. for every time I tried a blend and ended up putting it into the garden or compost.

4. derangedhermit

Thanks for the info.

I had read here that CB Dark and Lane BCA were as you say, and want to find out if BCA might be slightly cleaner due to less preservatives.

I didn't know Smoker's Pride was also made by Lane. I'm not familiar with the brand.

Nice corncobs in the avatar, BTW.

@Stinger4me: I was surprised by my strong negative reaction to VBC. I have the rest in a jar, to try again in a few months.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

For Black Cav I buy Peter Stokaby's Black Cavendish from a local B&M and enjoy it.

My go to tobacco (daily, multi-times a day) is Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cav and Smoker's Pride Cherry Cav. I find them flavorful without being too heavy, and moist without being sloppy. They both burn well with no goop in the bottom of the bowl, and have a good room note.

6. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

For the money...if you want to try some black cavendish...Smokers Pride is good stuff.

My $.02... straight black cavendish does not have a complex flavor. It's torched tobacco with a topping dumped on it. Black cavendish blends have got to be some sort of socioeconomic experiment. i.e. "Let's see how much people are willing to pay for the same 10lbs of $h1t stuffed in a 5lb bag." They're all close enough in flavor that I don't see how people can justify spending much over $1-1.50/ounce on the stuff.

I've had Mac Baren 7 Seas Dark, Smokers Pride Black Cavendish, Captain Black Dark, PS-21, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. They're all basically the same tobacco with a different topping. Some are more damp than others, but to debate with BC blend is best...to me...is like debating who makes a better truck...GMC or Chevrolet.

Edit: Sorry if that comes off as douchy. Just saying that I'd recommend trying a $13 bag of SPBC before dropping $8+ on a 50g tin of 'x'.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Could not agree more.

8. derangedhermit

I hear you. At smokingpipes:
    - SP BC is $1.20/oz (12oz bag),
    - Lane BC-A is $1.50/oz (16oz bag)

At these prices, I can pick the one I like best (if I can tell any difference).

It's the 2oz pouch of CB Dark at $3.85/oz that I don't want to continue paying for. I just bought Dunhill Flake on a 20% off sale for that price!

CB 12oz tins run $3/oz. Lane bulk equivalents are $1.50/oz. Why order CB when it costs twice as much?

As far as the rant about BC - a number of high-end, popular blends include some BC, many of which are not classified as aromatics. It must make a useful contribution to flavor sometimes. Smoke it (whatever "it" is) if you like it, I say, and let others do the same.

9. IMpipedude

IMpipedude Active Member

I like Lane BCA. Very mild and flavorful. I also enjoy Rattray's Dark Fragrant, which has a bit of Perique. The tin aroma of DF is misleading, sorta like sour molasses, but I find the flavor to be heavenly.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I love a black Cavnedish or a blend that has a Good amount of black Cavendish . There is a wide variety of flavors . Your best bet is to get 1 oz samples of different blends and smoke it . You'll know , after an oz , if youre gonna dig it for good or not .

Smokers Pride Black Cavendish is great ! It's a bit moist for sure but it burns well , tastes good and you cant get it to bite . Unless you have an aversion to something in it .. it will smoke cool

Lane BCA .. is similar to SPBC though less moist and less of the flavoring

Altadis Z93

Altadis Dark Decadence is insane ... it's a rouch cut Black Cavendish thats a bit moist like SP BC but once ya get the cut down .. burns super slow . It's cool smking and has an added flavor other than the " generic " black cavendish flavor of the two above

Altadis B20 is similar to the Dark Decadence but not as flavored

Altadis / Century Z50 black Cordial is maybe the best of these types ... it's not all Black Cavendish but it got a good amount . I dont knw what the flavoring is but it's incredible and cool smoking

Altadis Chocolate Truffle has a good amount of Black Cavendish [ maybe half ] and is my go to Aro for a little while now . It's really killer

Any of the Sutliff Black Cavendishes are good .. Black Swann , Navigator etc .. They are all pretty similar but with some different flavorings . They all burn clean

Altadis B27 is maybe half black and half golden type cavendish .. it's a Vanilla flavored Aromatic and it's good

Lane Black Raspberry is good ... it's good but I'm looking forward to trying the Altadis Black Raspberry . I prefer Altadis cause they use more potent flavorings , so I'm hoping the Altadis has more Raspberry flavor than the Lane

Altadis Creme Brulee is a wet blend ... it will gurgle and you'll have to use a pipe cleaner for sure .. however , it is super fantastic tasting and the roomnote is super fantastic also

Lane MV 1000 isnt a black cavendish but it is a bite free easy going mild aromatic

All the above , and many more , are available at Smokingpipes and or wvsmokeshop as 1 oz samples

Peter Stokkebye makes some damn good aromatics also with a different flavoring approach . All their all black cavendishes are good . Their Optimum isnt all black but it's pretty damn neat stuff . I favor the flavorings of altadis the most of the three but thats me .. theyre all good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.