1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Newbie, Bought 3 Pipes, 5 Different Smokes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Patrick White, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick White

Patrick White Member

Hi, new to pipes and smoking them, have been trying cigars but didn't really enjoy them. I am enjoying this new pass time thought. Bought 3 pipes, having read that you need several so that you don't over use a single pipe. Anyway, they are all Churchwarden style, afraid that if I get a short stubby pipe it will burn my tongue, and my best is the Mr. Brog. The other two "gurgle" and I can't seem to keep them lit or smoking without a hassle. The Mr. Brog had little if any gurgle, is beautiful, and is a pleasure for this newbie to smoke. I have begun by smoking flavored tobacco as I was afraid to get anything that had a cigar flavor. My favorites, again a newbie talking, are Molto Dolce, McClelland 700 Baklava, and PS Nougat. Are there short pipes that will not burn your tongue?

Brit abroad likes this.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

While it is generally believed that a longer stem helps cool the smoke, standard length stems and even shorter nosewarmers work perfectly well. Technique may be me an issue as a newbie, but if you're burning hot even in a CW you'll still get bite. If you're generally ok with your Brog, you should be fine with shorter pipes.

Patrick White likes this.
  3. Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6 Member

I am a newbie myself with less than a month with pipes and tobacco. I have the same problem with keeping it lit and the occasional gurgle. I am hoping that the more I smoke the better I will get. As you are most likely aware, there is a wealth of information on this forum especially in the "ask a old fart" thread. In regards to answering your question "are there short pipes that will not burn your tongue?" I can only say smoke slow to avoid the dreaded tongue bite. As mentioned previously I am new to smoking pipes and that answer is only from what I have read and smoking slower myself. Also, maybe try CH in the shorter one to help reduce/eliminate tongue bite. I am sure there will be more experienced PSF'ers that will be able to give you more advice than I. Enjoy and welcome

4. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

If tongue bite is an issue, just keep trying more tobaccos. If you have one that bites really bad, post it in the trades section of the board. Ask for some samples of mild tobaccos, perhaps some that are not aromatic as those tend to bite more.

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Welcome to the Forum Patrick, I don't think we got that far yet :)

6. ArmedOctopus

....and welcome. Sorry, forgot that part!

7. Patrick White

Patrick White Member

It was great to see all the replies, thank you. Being a newbie, my idea of a bite may be someone else's idea of a flea on the arm. I will experiment more and come back with a response. I feel like I have become a member of a friendly community, thanks.

rondel65 and Brit abroad like this.
  8. Jfro

Jfro Member

Welcome to PSF! I think you will find it very rare to have a "cigar" flavor with most pipe tobacco. Keep trying things as the mood hits you and practice smoking. It took me a bit to get it down.

Brit abroad likes this.
  9. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Hello and welcome from NY.

10. ArmedOctopus

It doesn't matter. What is uncomfortable to you is what matters. If it isn't pleasant, it's a turnoff and not worth fooling with. If you're puffing too hard and fast, that is one thing, but some tobaccos just bite because they do.

Find something you love. It will happen.

ruffinogold and Wideawake75 like this.
  11. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have never owned a churchwarden (CW), but I do not think they are great pipes for beginners. My reasoning being that new smokers tend to smoke to fast and hot, and therefore tend to get a lot of moisture building up in the airway. The more moisture you get in the airway (some of it will make its way into the bowl) the harder time you'll have keeping the tobacco lit, so you puff harder and faster, generating more moisture, and the cycle repeats. This happened to me for about the first 6 months of pipe smoking (less so towards the end of that period). The advantage of shorter pipes is that pipe cleaners for normal pipes are cheaper than CW pipe cleaners, and pipe cleaners are your friend. Any time you hear some gurgle just pop in a pipe cleaner and remove the moisture. Remember that the majority of gurgle is in the gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the start of the wood.
    Tongue bite is caused by, among other things, steam in the smoke, which obviously results from there being too much moisture in the pipe, and I'm not sure that the length of the stem has much bearing on tongue bite at all. One last thing - a piece of advice I often see given to new smokers is too blow any moisture down the pipe to get rid of gurgle. This is one of my least favourite pieces of advice out there. All it will do is soak the unburned tobacco at the bottom of the bowl and exacerbate the problems caused by a wet smoke. Any gurgle - get a pipe cleaner in there.
    Another one last thing - get yourself some Carter Hall. It really helped me get the hang of pipe smoking as it is very forgiving.

SouthBound, Coastal Bend and jpberg like this.
  12. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! As far as trouble keeping the pipe lit, have you broke the pipe down and checked for filters, chokes, or other obstructions? My first pipe ( a FESS churchwarden) had both, and once removed I could keep it lit far longer. Also, check your filling technique, smoking speed, and how you tamp. Most of all, experiment and be patient with yourself. The reason the older guys look so sage and competent is because they spent the first few years perfecting what works for them, or in plainer terms - screwing up along the way.. Enjoy the hobby and the forum, there's a lot of good information and great folks here.

rondel65 likes this.
  13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I recently saw a thread elsewhere to the effect of "things I was told when I started that I now utterly ignore" - "Get used to tongue bite!" was among them. Certain blends and kinds of tobacco may have a tendency to bite, but most can be tamed with proper technique. If you're experiencing some bite, work on your technique for even packing and steady, cool smoking - do NOT try to just "get used to it."

My two cents at least :)

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Welcome ! I'd suggest you go buy yerself a MM Corncob :th1: Honestly , buy two or three ... they're only a few bucks each . Like Armedoctopus said , try some different stuff . Theres no doubt , you'll find blends that are perfect

15. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Welcome to the forum from Texas. There's some good advice already offered. I'd agree with Ruff that a couple of cobs would be a good idea and with Buisted that pipe cleaners are your friend. The closest I come to a churchwarden are Canadians and I run into the same problem with standard pipe cleaners not fitting. (At least on some -- on others a standard will just reach, barely.) It's better to have a pipe a standard pipe cleaner fits. As to tobacco, experimenting is the game. You'll want to try a lot -- then you'll likely want to try more. Happy Smoking, and once again welcome to PSF. :bing:

16. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Welcome from NC! The most important part of learning anything new is rhythm. If you get a good Cob, and a forgiving tobacco...MM Cob and Carter Hall, learn to do a slow sipping draw, you'll be amazed. Welcome again.

17. Longshanks

Longshanks Member

Welcome aboard. You won't be a newb for long if you try a few techniques suggested throughout the forum. You'll find your niche. Just so you don't feel so uncomfortable asking questions, thought I'd tell you about my experience watching my dad smoke pipe just last week.

He's been smoking pipe for as long as I remember. In fact, the corn cob smoker in my avatar pic was me and I'm over 40 now... that's how long my dad's been smoking pipe. Anywhoo... I don't know if anyone remembers the Ascot I purchased awhile back. I bought it used and smoked it a few times with Sutliff Top Shelf (delicious bourbon casing) so I know it's a good smoker. Here's a pic of it:
    [​IMG]

Well I sanitized the stem, salt treated the bowl and buffed it back to it's former glory, and then gave it to my dad along with a sample baggie of the Sutliff. Figured it would be a nice early Father's Day gift since I was up in the Minnesota area and I could watch him enjoy it (plus I'm more of a straight apple/bulldog/billiard kind of piper). He loads up the pipe in the old codger way, which impressed me... at first. Then he proceeded to puff and light it like he was trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose in record time. He then puffed and puffed like he was trying to smoke out the enemy and only kept the thing lit for about a minute or two before he repeated the aforementioned lighting and puffing process. I don't know if he packed it too tight or if he was just trying to suck out all the flavor in the first few puffs... regardless, he couldn't possibly have been enjoying the pipe to it's fullest potential.

Now if I hadn't smoked it previously with the exact same tobacco, I'd think I'd given him a lemon pipe. But on his behalf... my grandpa smoked cigs before I was born and quit after a heart attack, and my dad's friends who smoked only smoked cigs and cigars, so my dad didn't have anyone in his circle to show him how to properly light and smoke a pipe. He also didn't have this forum back in the day. Needless to say, I referred him to the forum... hopefully he doesn't join anytime soon and this topic has time to get lost in the archives. LOL

If you are reading this, Dad... I'm only sharing this to benefit a new piper. :sailor:

Coastal Bend likes this.
  18. Patrick White

Patrick White Member

I want to thank you all for your remarks, insight, and help. I have been enjoying my new found hobby and the different pipes that I purchased. I have to say my best had been the Brog 13 Churchwarden until while cleaning it one day the inside piece of wood that holds the mouthpiece in broke. Luckily I had ordered two more pipes. After reading some of your remarks I had decided to try the standard size pipes and ordered a new Mr. Brog #21 Old Army and a Dr. Grabow Omega. The Old Army makes very little gurgling noise when I smoke it and there is no more bite then from the Churchwarden. I contacted Mr. Brog and was told they are shipping me a replacement mouthpiece and once it arrives I will be able to compare the #13 Churchwarden to the Old Army. Sadly the Dr. Grabow arrived with some defects but after contacting Dr. Grabow I am now smoking the replacement and sent the defective one back in the supplied pre-stamped return envelope. I must say Dr. Grabow was very quick in making good, Thank You Dr. Grabow. The Omega, which is a filtered pipe, smokes as smooth as the Old Army and I am enjoying comparing the two using different pipe tobaccos. My two favorites so far into my newbieism is still the Molto Dolce by Sutliff and the McClelland 700 Baklava. Ummmmmmmm good. Till next time....

I'll be back.....
    Patrick

19. Patrick White

Patrick White Member

oopps, no pic

20. Patrick White

Patrick White Member

I posted two pics of my pipes but they didn't show up here so I will try again, sorry......
    First my Dr. Grabow Omega then my Mr. Brog Old Army....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coastal Bend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.