Newbie with Tobacco Questions

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by McBarison, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McBarison

McBarison Member

Hello all,

I'm about a year into this whole pipe smoking hobby, and really enjoying it. Up to this point, I've just been smoking some blends recommended by the local tobacconist. (They're named things like "My Blend" and "Rockstar", so I don't know what's in them).

Anyway, I decided a couple days ago to get some "legit" tobacco, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with/opinions on the two that I picked out. I ordered a tin of Sutlif Molte Dolce, and a tin of Peterson Irish Oak, because they were both on sale on pipesandcigars.com.

Any thoughts on those, or any recommendations on a really good blend would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

p.s. Don't be afraid to tell me if what I ordered is total garbage, that's the kind of stuff I want to learn. :)

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've never smoked either one, but do check out the reviews at www.tobaccoreviews.com. Take them with a grain of salt but check 'em out. Hopefully someone here at PSF also has some experience to share with you.

3. McBarison

McBarison Member

Thanks for the tip! The reviews were pretty favorable towards Irish Oak, but not so much for the Molte Dolce. I guess I'll have to decide for myself when they get here. In any event, 1 out of 2 ain't bad!

4. alchemist

alchemist Member

I don't know about Molte Dolce, but Irish Oak strikes me as pretty stiff tobacco for a one-year smoker. I've got some, and smoke it a couple times a month. It's good, but it's stout. I recommend McCranie Red Flake, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Iwan Ries IRC Virginia Flake, Middleton Walnut, and Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding. They're all good, they're all available, and they're not very expensive.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 w/ what alchemist said though I'd through in MacBarens Golden Extra . Also , I think names like " Rockstar and My Blend " are alot better than many of the names out there . The blends that youve been smoking , those that got you going to begin with .. are as legit as anything else . Had you smoked Tambaloka or some serious rope right off the bat .... you might not have even ended up here . :)

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

Molto Dolce Is actually really tasty stuff! Its just that you will only want to use it in a pipe for aromatics and you will taste it in other smokes if you alternate. but flavor wise... very tasty

ichabod likes this.
  7. ichabod

ichabod Member

Molto Dolce is good stuff. It's sweet but not overbearingly sweet. It's almost like...hmm...a vanilla, caramel coffee type drink from starbucks but not as sweet.

It is my wifes most favorite tobacco for me to smoke. I let my step father smoke a bowl of it and he loved it. The room note is fantastic and if I am ever in public with this tobacco it never fails to get compliments directed to me, if they don't comment to me they will say to the person next to them how good it smells (which is awesome coming from cigarettes when you get the fake coughs all the time). It is an aromatic so keep that in mind. It is flavored with honey, vanilla, and caramel. It can be a bit wet fresh from the tin so you will want to dry it out a little first but it is a great smoke if you like aromatics and those flavorings...which I do.

It tastes really good, smells really good, is a rich, creamy smooth smoke. It is one aromatic that I will always have on hand.

But...you know, keep in mind that this is just my opinion. Some people hate that sort of thing.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Irish Oak has got a manly dose of Vitamin N in it. Good blend, but be ready for the nic0tine buzz. Be careful of the "legit" tobacco thing. Any blend you like is legit, and B&M bulk blends are just "legit" as anything else. (Although, Altaidis does put out some horrendously awful stuff). Alchemist and Ruff have made some good suggestions, and to those I would add Peterson Sherlock Holmes (light aromatic), McConnell Red Virginia (a mild VaPer), and MacB Plum Cake (light aromatic w/some Latakia). I would also recommend a few tried and true American OTC (Over The Counter) blends like Carter Hall, Granger, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert Soft Vanilla, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

American OTC's (also called drug store blends and codger blends) are relatively simple Burley/Virginia blends with very light casings. Carter Hall, Granger, Sir Walter, and Prince Albert are all tried and proven blends in this genre. So is Walnut, but it's an OTC with Orientals and Latakia added to the mix. These really are classics, and in many cases these blends have been around longer than most members on this forum. I think every pipe smoker should try them because they're inexpensive, they are very good, and smoke well in either corncob or briar pipes.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I am a total NEWB to the pipe. I did come from 3 years of Cigar smoking though. I was lucky enough to find this site. You will find a wealth of great info here.

I started off much the same as you. I found out early on I am not a big Aro fan, but some are good. I would also recommend Frog Morton varieties and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Just 2 real good smokers, Beale.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Not that it isn't a legit blend, bit hearing that they have one called "Rockstar" just makes me laugh. The only pipe-smoking rockstar I know of is Derek Smalls from Spinal Tap. :xd:

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

What, Spinal Tap isn't a real band?! Next you're gonna tell me that Kitt on Knight Rider can't really talk! Donald "Duck" Dunn is a pipe smoking bass guitar player, but he does R&B and not rock, per say.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Woody had a pic [ avatar ? ] of SRV smoking a pipe .... jamming the heck out of a strat ! God bless SRV

ichabod likes this.
  13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I didn't know Duck smoked a pipe. Of course, he also participated in a sort of made-up band: the Blues Brothers. Great player, though.

Bass players are probably the most likely to smoke pipes among musicians. Did I mention that I play bass?

McBarison likes this.
  14. McBarison

McBarison Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It looks like I've got a long road ahead of me of trying out several different things. Sweet!
    After a few bowls of each, I'm happy to report that I thoroughly enjoy them both. As alchemist and RTO pointed out, the Irish Oak is definitely pretty strong, so I'm not sure if it'll be in regular rotation, or maybe just an every now and then smoke. On the other hand, I could smoke the Molto Dolce all day long, so maybe I'm an aromatics guy? I dunno, I suppose I haven't been at this long enough to know what type of smoker I really am. Oh well, just means a lot more trying. Again: Sweet!

Also, I am going to continue getting more of "My Blend" and "Rockstar", as they are both fantastic. I just thought it was time to branch out into some of the bigger names. Thanks again!

15. McBarison

McBarison Member

Seconded. I'm not a bassist, but the bassist in our band is a big pipe smoker as well.

16. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The bulk blends at your locals are going to be renamed blends by
    Altadis, Lane etc. Try something from C&D, GL Pease, Sam Gawith, Gowarth & Hoggarth.

17. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Without knowing what sort of tobacco you like it is easier to tell you which blends to avoid than to tell you which ones to try. Avoid Paladin and Mixture #79.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.