Newby experimentation

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mike Berger, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

Probably not a good thing I know, but couldn't help myself.:)

So, I keep SRW around to smoke in new(to me) pipes as an homage to my late granddad. I also, had purchased some TB Philosopher on a whim and was NOT impressed with it. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good either...really just bland.

Soooooo...I get to thinking as newbs do, what if I mixed the SRW with some Philo at a 1:1 ratio. Low and behold, it's pretty darn good! The solid tobacco flavors of the SRW burley adds a decent flavor layer to the Philo and the Philo gives a bit of sweetness from the VAs and some spice from the orientals to the SRW that is a nice change!

In this instance, a wacky/crazy newb idea seems to have paid off! That was all I wanted, just to share a quick "Eureka!" moment...carry on!:beck:

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

It just goes to show- you never know what might be a hit.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice experiment! SWR should actually go well mixed with lots of things. One thing I do with SWR is "parfait" it... SWR in the top half of a bowl and whatever else underneath.

Tobacco experimentation is a lot of fun and often pays off. But on occasion I've created blends that should never be smoked by anyone - ever! :D

4. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

I like the parfait idea! Will try that out next! cool...

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's actually very cool. If you find a blend that starts out great but fizzles, put that one on top. Or if you like a tobacco that is overly sweet to the point where you can't smoke an entire bowl of it, put it on the bottom and some lightly sweet tobacco on top. The transition is gentle and often really wonderful. It's a fun concept to play with and I've had more success with it than I have with mixing two blends together.

Have fun! :toast:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.