Newminster Balkan?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Slow Tri, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Does anyone know if one of the Newminster blends is similar to the Stokkebye Balkan Supreme blend?

2. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

P&C has 15% off through tomorrow night (2-28) I have never tried Newminster, but at 15% off what are already some of the lowest prices around, I think I might pick up 3 or 4 8 oz "samples"

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I wonder if Mr. Dave Dueck has tried this oneā€¦ I know he's liked some of the other Newminster Lat/Oriental type blends and has enjoyed them. I know he's a big fan of the English Luxus, and WVDave really enjoyed some of the Ultimate English I split with him a while ago. I've had those, but I'm not a big Lat guy so my opinion is skewed accordingly. I love their Navy Flake and Round Slices, though, and the prices are excellent.

4. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Newminster is IMO a *fabulous* value. Have yet to try a blend from that label that I dislike. That being said, the closest they have to PS Balkan Supreme is probably English Oriental. I've smoked neither the PS nor the Newminster blends in question, but Villiger gives very similar descriptions to the Newminster blends that they used for the PS tobaccos, and this is the only one that also mentions Sumsum in the ingredients. On description alone, I'd say they're as close a match as you'll be able to find. And, darn it, that's another blend for me to try :D English Luxus seems close, and it's been a known favorite of mine, as Tony notes.

I've been on something of a kick with Imperial Nougat lately, too. It's always been a pleasant diversion but, damn if I don't find myself *really* enjoying it lately. Fine stuff.

Slow Tri likes this.
  5. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I couldn't pass on the P&C promotion and I ordered 8oz of 3 different blends. Should be here monday or tuesday.
    Time to buy more jars
    :thu:

6. Tony Malerich

Which did you order?

7. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Newminster Superior Round
    Newminster Superior Navy Flake Bulk
    Newminster Ultimate English Bulk
    8 0z of each
    less than $50 inc shipping

8. Tony Malerich

Excellent choices! I love the SRS and SNF, and Lat fans have really enjoyed the UE.

9. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I weighed the recommendations of the members here heavy in my decision:thu2:

10. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Well done. Enjoy! SNF is going in my VA-dedicated bulldog tomorrow after some eggs & bacon. Lovely stuff.

DaveyBoy likes this.
  11. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

How does one find out when those sales are??

12. Tony Malerich

Get on their site mailing list. Many e-tailers have one :)

BriarRabbit likes this.
  13. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

yep, that's how I found out

BriarRabbit likes this.
  14. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Okay, I think I get emails already from CI, but not P&C or SmokingPipes... so I'll get that done. Hate that I missed that.

15. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I get the emails from CI but over the years I think I have only received one or two that had pipe tobacco, but I bit. I picked up 3 tins of a Nording VaPer blend for about $6 each which I have yet to try.., but based on the fact that it is made by McClelland how could I go wrong?

BriarRabbit likes this.
  16. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

My 3 - 8 oz bages of Newminster from the sale arrived about an hour ago. Great service as always from P&C. Curious the diference in volume that the 3 different blends took up. The Navy Flakes almost all fit in a single pint jar. The round slices took up 2 jars and the by the looks of things (I ran out of jars) the Ultimate English will probably take up well over 2 jars and maybe fill three.

Slow Tri likes this.
  17. Tony Malerich

Funny how that works! I fill a quart jar with 12 oz of Slices for cellaring but could get a full pound of flakes in the same size (I do 8 oz in a pint, though).

18. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I'm a newb, but I bet that some of it has to do with the amount of moisture still in the baccy.

19. Tony Malerich

Also the compression in the flake/slices. Even if rubbed out, they don't get as loose as ribbon tobacco.

DaveyBoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.