Newminster blends - opinions/recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dave Dueck, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

As my rambling of late may indicate, I've become quite a fan of the Newminster English Luxus blend (No. 17). I've also tried and enjoyed Blackberry Brandy, though it's on the lightweight side. Whether I can buy it locally or not, I'm ready and willing to try more, assuming the rest of the blends are as tasty as they are (apparently) inexpensive.

Besides light to medium English mixtures, I enjoy very sweet Cavendish blends and quality aros a lot, so I'm thinking of trying out some Rich Vanilla and Imperial Nougat. Also quite intrigued by their Superior Navy Flake, as it seems to get respectable reviews and I've never used flake tobacco before - seems like a good practice variety?

Anyways, anyone have any words of wisdom or recommendations for me? I gather this is a new line from the people who used to distribute PS blends, and that Newminster is meant to emulate the PS products to one degree or another.

2. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

The west seventh street location of golden leaf in St Paul had all those last time I was in...

Dave Dueck likes this.
  3. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Nice, I wonder if the Uptown location carries them as well. Much closer for me. I'll give them a call soon.

TedVig likes this.
  4. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Discovered the Tobacco Grove store where I do most of my business has only been sampling the blends, not stocking them... yet. They've been getting very good feedback about the Newminster products so hopefully they'll order in some bulk. The salesman I talked to today agreed with my thoughts on English Luxus.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Their superior round slices are pretty tasty!

Dave Dueck likes this.
  6. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I've only had the English Luxus and Superior Navy Flake so far, I recommend both, and look forward to trying more.

Dave Dueck likes this.
  7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

English Luxus is definitely a regular rotation smoke now, I'm very glad I stuck with it. Today I enjoyed some very very nice bowls of both Creamy Vanilla (a cavendish blend) and Imperial Nougat, the latter was more satisfying as I could also detect the burley and virginias quite easily behind the decadent chocolate and vanilla notes, so I'll be adding that one to the regular list as well. (It's worth noting that on both aros, the note was both easily detectable to me and quite wonderful.) Tomorrow I'll give Norway Pipe Cut a try. Looks like a very enticing blend of natural Virginias and Orientals.

8. halpuff

halpuff Member

Just received some Newminster Ultimate English in a trade.
    I found this blend to be absolutely incredible. It is very similar H&H Larrys Blend, however I found that I like the Ultimate English much better. It is high on Lat content which I love anyway.
    A wonderful smooth, cool, and very complex experience.

Halpuff

9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I adore the SNF and I've heard from folks who abhor it. I certainly think it's worth trying at least a few bowls. If you like it the price is fantastic and it's worth stocking up a bit. The... not so good B&M that's close to me got a whole slew of samples at a pipe show and just stuck price tags on them. I grabbed Imperial Nougat and I think the Denmark pipe cut. The former was rather tasty and lived up to expectations the latter... was moldy and I didn't notice that before I took it home. I had already vowed not to set foot in that shop again, though, so I'm just out a few bucks.

10. Tony Malerich

Pretty darn sure they do, yes. The pipe stock varies between the locations, but their bulk tobaccos are pretty similar, at least as far as I recall. I managed to get to both locations on my vacation "home" this summer.

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

How does the Superior Navy Flake compare to Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake? If at all.

12. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I find it to be closer to Macbaren Mixture Flake than LNF.

mojo66 and krusty like this.
  13. Tony Malerich

I don't know if it's more the choice of Virginias or just the added Perique, but I find them to be different enough that comparison is tough. I actually prefer SNF. One might find the straight Virginia to be a little one-note, but I like the rich, nutty sweetness of it quite a bit.

Dave Dueck and krusty like this.
  14. krusty

krusty Active Member

Thanks folks (-:

15. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I'm excited to try this flake, especially if the Golden Leaf carries it. I've been really impressed with the Newminster line so far, and Golden Leaf is a great shop. Nougat, Luxus and especially SNF will be awesome to buy locally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.