Nicotine content.....How do you know?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Buckshot, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I have noticed that when folks review pipe tobacco's they often mention the nicotine content of the blend.

My question is, how can you tell? Do higher levels of nicotine in pipe tobacco affect the brain or the body in some way?

I know I have smoked some blends with high nicotine content before but I can never seem to detect anything in a blend that would indicate whether the nicotine content is high, medium, or low. I would like to be able to do this if possible but I'm not sure what to look for in a blend when I'm smoking it.

I am a daily smoker of cigarettes as well as pipes. Could that be why I have trouble detecting nicotine in pipe tobaccos?

2. tungbite

tungbite Member

The only tobaccos that I noticed made me woozy were Irish Flake and 1792 Flake. 1792 actually got me so overdosed on nicotine, I staggered to the bathroom and threw up! This was after smoking a large bowl for nearly an hour. I still enjoy a very small bowl of 1792 about once every two weeks:confused:.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

So you actually get a buzz from the nicotine? This has never happened to me.

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

I still smoke RYO's sometimes, but I've had the occasional nicotine rush from the stronger stuff, particularly from rope tobaccos.

5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I've been using tobacco for over 20 years and rarely feel the nicotine buzz. I did walk out onto the edge with some Jackknife Plug once though. It was my first go with said blend for a nice long smoke and I puked my guts out.

6. Goat

Goat Active Member

For me.. I'm a nicotine fiend. I smoke pipe, cigs, chew coppenhagen and use snuff. The way I judge nicotine in a pipe tobacco is that after I have finished a bowl and feel the need for a cig..... Then it aint got no nicotine in it.

But that's just me. Still working on a good mainline delivery system.:whis:

Lithua pipe and Monkeyshine like this.
  7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I would say that is the reason. You've an increased tolerance due to the cigarettes.

I chewed Skoal for 40 years and for the last 20 of those years, smoked cigars as well. Nothing I smoked phased me, even the "Chisel" cigars (can't remember the full name) that had a reputation of being nauseatingly good.

I quit Skoal 7 years ago and cigars a couple of years ago and am now more sensitive to nicotine. I never had any problems with the Jackknife plug but Tambolaka had me praying to the "porcelain god". I smoked the first 100 grams of Tambo with no problems but the second batch I ordered I had to pass on to someone else after two bowls.

WyoBob

8. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

It seems people react very differently to it.
    I, for one, have all sorts of funny little reactions to it, being a nonsmoker beforehand and not being around too much smoke from others. I have to take my smoke slow or else I'll get dizzy ( I don't mind slowing down, it helps me enjoy it). And When I first started I had mouth sores, ear and throat ache, headache, etc.

Before I started I read up on ways to reduce nicotine level. Not much to be read outside of what makes common sense (like not inhaling if you don't want much nicotine), except when I learned that raising the Ph in your system (which makes your saliva more acidic) will help to further eliminate the nicotine as it enters the mouth. ...But of course I leave that sort of discussion for the people who know what they are talking about.

9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've smoked cigs and cheap cigars for years and don't actually feel nic. I know when it isn't enough only because I won't stop until I get enough. The only time I get a nic buzz is when I smoke a cigarette. I normally avoid them these days so when I do smoke a cig I feel the sudden hit you get from inhaling. Sometimes I inhale even very strong pipe tobacco but never seem to get a buzz from it. I am certainly a nic addict

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.