Nightcap addiction...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TobaccoBro, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRotherBriar

BRotherBriar Member

You can still get lucky if you keep your ear to the ground now and then. I managed to find a pound at a B&M in Arizona a few months ago after someone on one of the message boards posted that they had a few 80z bags of Penzance in stock. It was literally less than a week after I started really looking. The online retailers never have it. But if you call B&Ms in out of the way places you can get lucky now and again. It just depends on how badly you want it and how much work you're willing to put in.

Truthfully, while Penzance is a very fine blend it isn't worth the crazy prices some are paying on eBay and the like (in my opinion). It's just tobacco and there are SO many other great blends out there to enjoy. Like Nightcap for example! Or, to a lesser extent, Blue Mountain, or Black House. Frog Morton on the Bayou has some distant relationship in flavor. Westminster I've heard is also another great one in the Nightcap/Penzance family. These are all distant cousins for my tastes and much "lighter" in flavor and feel than Nightcap. Others may completely disagree with me, but to me they have a certain "something" that they all share. All are very worthwhile blends.

Hopefully you'll enjoy that Squadron Leader as well! It's not very similar to Nightcap in my opinion, but it IS fantastic and one of my all-time favorite blends. I love the leathery notes. One of the best things about smoking a pipe is that there are so many different kinds of tobacco to enjoy!

2. TobaccoBro

TobaccoBro Member

Loading a bowl of Frog Morton on the Bayou as I type this :D

3. Benton629

Benton629 Member

Stick with the Nightcap and Frog Morton.

Even with shipping its still cheaper than gasoline or women.....

TobaccoBro, jhguthlac and MacNutz like this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Just be glad you've fallen in love with something so available. It will not kill the pleasure you will find in other blends.

TedVig likes this.
  5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I'm a Nightcap fiend myself. The other blends that I use to break the habit now and then are McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian and my new fave, Hearth and Home's Cerberus.

Monkey likes this.
  6. Islayphile

Islayphile Member

I'm a Nightcap lover too

Even more so when Lagavulin 16 is the in the glass at the same time

TobaccoBro, SmokeyJoe and jhguthlac like this.
  7. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I'm like that with Dunhill's My Mixture 965. But always keep EMP and NC in the rotation except during the summer. At that point, fruit flies appear from out of nowhere and hover around me when I smoke it. So take it out of rotation until late fall.

8. Islayphile

Islayphile Member

Flies? Flies?, poor puny things

Who wants to eat flies?

Not when I can get nice fat spiders

With regards to Dwight Frye

Malus Rex likes this.
  9. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

If you like Nightcap, then stick with it and consider yourself lucky. Its easy to find and you can buy it in bulk. Dont fool around and find a trendy smoke like Penzance that you like better cause then you'll spend half your time trying to find some and spend a lot of money on it when you do. I love SWR and I can buy it anywhere. Other tobaccos are nice once in awhile, but I always have my reliable "go to"

10. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

Don't bother. It's one of the best tobacco blends to ever exist. If you are concerned... the easiest way to stop smoking Nightcap is to smoke Blue Mountain. It's like using turkey instead of roast beef to make a hotshot.

UncleVint likes this.
  11. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Try Royal Yacht, that one's reeling me in nice and quickly.

TedVig likes this.
  12. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I would try a range of lat blends that are quite different from each other and from Nightcap. I can recommend Skiff, McC Samovar, King Charles, the basic Frog (try the others later), Black House and Magnum Opus.

Dimik likes this.
  13. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Nightcap is magic. It just is. I have a low nicotine tolerance and half a small bowl of Nightcap is enough to make me shiver and hickup and even want to vomit if I don't take it really slow. Knowing all that, I ordered a pound of it from smokingpipes because I know that I'll always want to have it on hand and will always want to smoke it (even if it's only in tiny doses) because it's just delicious!

14. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Amazing blends those!

15. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

nightcap was my "eureka!" moment of finally discovering what pipes CAN be about (after fifteen years of crappy starts with aros, and a successful cigar habit). if you want big lat, nice density of flavor and good texture, among the other recommendations here, try seattle pipe club plum pudding, C&D pirate kake (yarrrr), or one of the GLPease plugs like gaslight or ten russians. FWIW, pirate or plum are readill available in bulk.

then again, while you might want to branch out in similar veins, like a lot of the boys have said, that is NOT a bad blend to get hung up on.

16. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

When in doubt, Nightcap

17. piper965

piper965 Member

Ah the memories! I recall the first time I ever bought something that wasn't in a pouch or soaked in sugar. After cracking open the tin I wasn't prepared for what I would experience. The aroma floating up from the tin of Nightcap was not what I was used to, and I was a bit intimidated at first. After packing a bowl I fired up my old Neerup and was blown away by the flavor. It was like I was smoking my pipe for the first time! I distinctly remember the flavors and aromas changing 3 different times during the bowl! I was so amazed by it that I immediately packed another bowl right after finishing the first. Of course I had never experience this type of tobacco before and found out soon thereafter that I couldn't get up from my seat because my head was spinning from the nicotine! This tobacco opened the door for me to real tobaccos and is still one of my favorites! If I can make a suggestion you should try a tin of My Mixture 965 This was the next great experience I had with pipe tobaccos and it was equally thrilling!

TobaccoBro likes this.
  18. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

Beat me to it.
    Enjoy the "hook". They'll make more and probably not run out in your lifetime.

19. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

I'd have to include Gawith's "Squadron Leader" when I need something similar (to my taste buds, at least) to Nightcap. McClelland's version of "Nightcap" does not do it for me.

20. TobaccoBro

TobaccoBro Member

Oddly enough, Squadron Leader just doesn't do it for me. A bit too light for my taste. However, I have a couple ounces jarred that I'm going to let meld for a bit and see if it does anything for me in the future....

User5642 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.