No new tobacco this year

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I am setting myself a challenge to not buy any new tobacco this year. I have so much in my cellar, and since cutting down my smoking frequency in the last six months, I have enough to last me at least ten years. At least.

Now it's out in the open I have to stick to it.

Disclaimer: this does not include trades. I can trade all I want.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Little late for New Year's resolutions, isn't it?

K Williams and buistd like this.
  3. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

If you give some away (not trade but give it away) that will open up room in your cellar and you can buy more.

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I actually decided last year some time to not buy any more then ended up bending the rules a little. This time it's for real. Unless:

tatsntash7, critter and rlucas like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I said that once, too. Now I shoot for realistic goals, like flapping my arms and flying to China or bottling electricity.

6. jdto

jdto Active Member

I might slow down the pace of my TAD order this year, as I'm running out of storage space, but I won't stop completely.

tatsntash7 and critter like this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I really mean it. Promise.

Here's the thing - it has less to do with spending the money on new blends and more to do with the fact that I currently have 60 or so blends (probably more like 70-80 actually), many of which I have either never smoked or have smoked only a handful of times. I want to get to know the blends better.

I have already restricted myself to only smoking blends I have in open tins or in bags and am not going to touch my jars for a while. It's not much of a limit (around 20-25 blends) but it's a start.

8. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I applaud your attempt and wish you luck in that. Myself I decided to set a more realistic goal of limiting my TAD to $500-600 this year :bing:

tatsntash7 and buistd like this.
  9. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I'm not buying any this year. Last year, all I bought was a half pound of one thing and a pouch of another thing. I have enough tobacco to last the rest of my life, probably. And since I'm currently homeless and will spend most of this year in Asia, I don't see the point. That said, I really want to try that Old Dark Fired and some of the other new blends that have come out recently. And Semois will supposedly be available here soon and if it arrives before I head east, I might make myself a fibber.

Alan Dye, jdto and David Emond like this.
  10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Have you tried Robert McConnel's Scottish cake ? hehe just kidding. For real good luck with that. I told my self that i wont crack open anymore tins this year since i want to build a good tin cellar.

tatsntash7 likes this.
  11. David Emond

Can you bring all your toby to Asia ?

tatsntash7 likes this.
  12. inkybat

inkybat Member

It's funny, I did a one eighty during Christmas and discovered the joys of Virginias and Cavendishes, so I am now compelled to fill my cellar with them.

13. David Emond

Same here, Scottish Cake, FVF and Brighams Virginia flake

inkybat likes this.
  14. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Mine is mostly 5 o'clock shadow. Wonder if buistd has any cellared. If not you should get some.

David Emond likes this.
  15. David Emond

LOL

16. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

It tastes like Kickin Chicken

David Emond likes this.
  17. inkybat

inkybat Member

Yes! I've been smoking those no stop. I'm smoking the heavier Lat blends much less frequently. Over Christmas I smoked whole tins of Navy Cavendish and Holiday Spirit.

David Emond likes this.
  18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I am en devouring on a similar venture...only I am smoking through my cellar because I cant afford any new tobacco...

19. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I can bring some. I don't even know what the legal limit is. The customs web sites for most countries always have cigarette maximums, sometimes cigars, but rarely if ever pipe or loose tobacco. I'll toss about a pound and a half in my luggage. I've been there many times and never been searched. If I need more, I can probably find an overpriced pouch of MacBaren Original. And if I'm in a real bind, I can buy whole leaf tobacco or fine shag at a farmer's market in the village. I've smoked it before and it's pretty rough stuff. But wow is it cheap.

jdto and David Emond like this.
  20. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

But isn't a battery essentially bottled electricity? :poke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.