No tobacco in France?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by raffles07, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raffles07

raffles07 Member

An aquaintance just returned empty-handed from a holiday in France. She found no cigarettes on sale in supermarkets (have they ever been? or that just a British thing?) and saw only "boarded up" old tobacconist's shops.

Does anyone know the situation in France? Were these "boarded up" shops in fact the retail tobacconists? prevented by law from displaying their wares openly, as in Canada.

2. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I know that in France you can't buy tobacco from supermarkets only from tobacconists, I don't know about any being shut. A friend of mine is just back from France a few weeks ago and he never mentioned them being closed.

Jordan

3. Hothog

Hothog Member

This anti tobacco thing has gone too far. All the purists coughing in your ear and chasing you out of all kinds of places as if you spread the plague. Well to all of them, may all the exhaust fumes in the world get right up thier noses.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Hard to believe the former makers of Gauloise cigarettes find themselves in that position. They still smoke like chimneys in Italy, though.

5. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

This led me to pick up the phone and call a client that I helped immigrate to Canada from France; he landed last week, so his information is pretty current. According to him, the "boarded up" shops were actually retail tobacconists; it seems the anti's there have taken it a step further than the anti's here have.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Were the shops permanently closed or boarded up so the tobacco couldn't be seen in the windows do you know?

Our Government W*****s are planning to bring in this type of legislation next year,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Burner

Burner Member

I'm always amazed at the fervour with which the health nazi's try to ban every aspect of smoking "To protect the children" while ignoring the thick pall of motor vehicle pollution hanging over every built up area.

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

It is still there, after all Altadis is a French company. When I was there last year, you had to look hard to find it, i mostly found it at little shops selling post cards and such, at the train stations where they are kept out of site but if you ask for it they will produce it, and at the airports.

9. raffles07

raffles07 Member

That's what I was hoping someone on here would know for sure.

When you ask someone to pick you up some Scaferlatti Gris as a favour, if they happen to see it, when they're on holiday - you can't really give them the third degree when they come back empty handed. I'm wondering if these boarded up shops she saw *were* the real tobaconists and she just didn't try hard enough to find a way in.

Schmitz Bitz's reply (many thanks) suggests that may have been the case.

OTOH, Strongirish's experience (also many thanks for that) suggests there may be alternative sources.

I'm still not entirely clear if the legal postion for France is, as per Canada, with the boarded-up shops marking them out as places of wickedness, for another turn of the anti screw. As you say, Gerry, it probably won't be long before this is the case in the UK.

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

In the U.K I don't know if this will actually have the result the anti smoking brigade so fervently desire. After all I remember in my childhood and youth when the Kirk held sway in Scotland and both pubs and betting shops had to have darkened windows so that passers by did not view the iniquities being committed therein.

There were two sides of this - the Victorian Pubs in city centres had the most beautiful etched glass I have ever seen - and the blackout piqued the young's curiousity and made them the more determined to visit such establishments - even, Heaven Forbid, when they were under age.

Even yet the Scots are a thrawn bunch and take pride in rebelling when someone tells them not to do a things and the dire consequences that will result if they do - the usual response is "Weel, Ah'll ferkin dae it onywey, and that that'll teach them tae tell me whit tae dae!" A lesson Bliar (sic) learned the hard way every time he tried coming North to lecture us about the dangers of voting for the Scottish Nationalists - he'd hardly got his pampered ass back to London and New Labour's vote had dropped another few points,

Living in hope,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.