noob looking for some recommendations

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TonyBobs, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyBobs

TonyBobs Member

I have recently been converted to pipe smoking by my sister-in-law of all people. She would often come smoke with me when I was lighting up a stogie and the fact that her $6-2oz bag lasted longer than I was willing to spend on cigars at one time got me curious. So far I have been smoking a blend from a local B&M that I like, but was hoping to branch out. So I'm hoping to find some recommendations, possibly based on the cigars I prefer.

I'm a big fan of maduro style cigars, and my favorite so far would be the Rocky Patel Edge, for anyone who is familiar with cigars. I love the fuller flavor, earthy bottom end, hints of coffee/chocolate, and thick smoke that a good maduro offers without the huge sweetness of the flavored sticks.

I'm excited to try anything I can get my hands on, I love new habits. umm, I mean hobbies...

Bobs

2. user3610

user3610 Member

C&D Billy Budd has cigar leaf.

3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Firstly, welcome to the forum. You just made a great choice in signing up!

Pipe tobacco cigar blends are often only faintly reminiscent of cigars. They include cigar leaf so you do however get some cigar notes. I recently tore through a tin of GL Pease Key Largo. For my tastes it is absolutely superb although it appears that a lot of folks on here were underwhelmed by it. I think that may appeal to your tastes BUT it is probably a fairly tricky blend for a beginner due to the cut of it.

A lot of people on here (myself included) will recommend that people start out with Carter Hall or Prince Albert. While they won't instantly flick the same switches as your cigars, they provide a pleasant smoke and are relatively forgiving.

Cornell and Diehl do a lot of very robust blends based on Burley. Some of these blends tend to have a high nicotine content, which is not great for beginners, as people starting out tend to puff a little too vigorously, so easily get overwhelmed by nicotine. If you have a high tolerance then I wouldn't worry too much. I can recommend a blend they do called Sha'are Orah. Certainly not cigar-like, but satisfies me when I'm in one of those cigar moods but can't dedicate the attention I like to commit to smoking a cigar. Morley's Best would probably also satisfy a cigar smoker as would Habana Daydream.

I'm sure others will join in with good suggestions. Stick around!

4. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

I found myself in the same boat as I converted from cigars to pipes. However, I also found that my tastes in pipe tobacco differ from that of cigars. I like med-full bodied, spicy cigars (think Tatuaje, Oliva Serie V, LFD's, etc.), but pipe smoking is different for me. I found that I enjoy my pipes more if I just "sip" them instead of puffing mouthfuls of smoke like I do with cigars, and don't always smoke the fuller bodied blends.

Good suggestions with both of the above posts! A few that I enjoy are (and different points of the body/strength spectrum): Orlik Golden Sliced, Boswell's Best (aro), Pirate Kake, Vermont Meat Candy (light aro), etc.

Good luck with your search, and let us know how things turn out!

ruralhipster likes this.
  5. TonyBobs

TonyBobs Member

Just stopped my my local B&M and picked up a sample pack with 4 house blends and a sample of Mac Baren Acadian Perique and a pouch of carter hall based on some other posts I read here about off brands. B&M sells mostly house blends that I will be working my way through for sure. Hopefully I can put together an order online with some of your suggestions. The key largo deffinatly has my attention...

6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I would offer to send you some, but I only have one tin left and as I presumably live on the other side of the Atlantic to you it wouldn't be worth my while. Get involved in the FNG/FOG thread. Alternatively, contact any of the people in this thread who weren't impressed by it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a little trade if they have any left.

dBear likes this.
  7. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

I just made the jump from Cigars myself. There are a couple English blends that I have fallen in love with.

Get a tin of Dunhill London Mixture, and some Peter Stokaby's Proper English. They are both great... Starting off, any blend that is Latakia heavy is going to appeal to you.

I would also recommend MacBarren Blue Mountain, and Cornell and Diehl Balkan #081.

Best of luck!
    Joe

8. TonyBobs

TonyBobs Member

So I made an order from 4noggins last week, it was supposed to be here yesterday, but no luck yet. maybe today, but the mailman usually shows up after I have left for work so hopefully i will have something tasty tonight. I purchased 6 tins based on recommendations here and kind of just whatever sounded interesting in the baccy descriptions, here's the list:

Samuel Gawith BLACK XX 50g

G.L. Pease KEY LARGO 2oz

Cornell & Diehl BURLEY FLAKE #2 2oz.

Cornell & Diehl BURLEY FLAKE #4 2oz.

G.L. Pease JACKKNIFE PLUG 2oz

Dunhill: LONDON MIXTURE 50g

I have, for some reason, developed a strong desire for pressed or shaped tobacco. I might be using the wrong terminology here, but what I mean is the cake/rope/plug style. I have never encountered such a thing, so I really don't know what to expect, but I am so intrigued I just had to have some. After placing the order, I decided to read some reviews on each blend and now I'm more than a little gun shy of the XX and even a couple of the C&D burley flake reviews have me thinking I might have to work my way up to them. With my current smoking habits, this amount should last me almost forever, although i have a feeling my current smoking habits might change soon...

9. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

Welcome to the cliff... er' slope, brother!

TWolf likes this.
  10. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I've never found a pipe tobacco that can replace a good cigar. As much as I love my well aged English/Balkan style pipe tobacco I still smoke cigars. :confused:

11. TonyBobs

TonyBobs Member

I guess I wasn't hoping to replace cigars, only to be able to afford to smoke more often. I still love stogies, I just can't afford to smoke an $8+ cigar every day, but I can get plenty of smoking from a 2oz tin at around the same price. But I agree, Dave, the luxury of a good cigar is hard to find in much else at all...

When I told my wife that I was purchasing $60 worth of tobacco, she asked if I had gone through the sampler I had just got from the local B&M. I tried to reason with her, but she was only barely swayed when I told her the shipping was free...I may need to find a "man cave" so she doesn't have to be reminded of my addictions every day...

Mark Dawson likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

13. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Yup! I understand, I save the $8 sticks for when I buy um and smoke um hanging out at my B&M. I have a couple of favorites from CI and JR that are only a couple of bucks as my daily cigar.
    I have a pretty good mixture that I enjoy of 5:1 PSBS : cigar. I wet a thin cedar sheet and line a tin can. Stuff and press the 5:1 mix till full with a big C-clamp and leave it for a few days then I chip the rock hard mixture out of the can and age it in a dry cedar lined jar for a month or so. It's not a cigar but it's pretty good.
    Compton's Cuban Style is FOR MY TASTE the best of the packaged cigar mixtures I've smoked and I've tried them all. :confused:

14. remington

remington Member

Hey TonyBobs. I too have been smitten by the pipe smoking bug this Winter.

I like to research something to death and then make decisions on purchases or activities from there - that's how I found myself here on this forum. The wealth of information you'll receive from the "Old Farts" as they're labeled here (not my words, lol) is invaluable.

Anyway, I digress. Here you'll get so many opinions on favorite pipe tobaccos, it'll make your head spin. Not only will opinions be offered freely (a good thing), you'll also be told that you basically just have to try everything you can and decide for yourself. To me, this is like trying to play scrabble in the dark. So, I decided to categorize/compartmentalize pipe tobaccos by styles and/or types:

Aros
    Virginias
    Burleys
    Periques
    Latakias

Here's the road I've been down so far, in basic order of consumption:

Sutliff Molto Dolce - Really liked at the time, still do, but left me wanting more flavor/body.
    Sutliff St. George's - Only one bowl, it was ok but will try again in my favorite aro Falcon bowl. Not a priority right now.
    Sutliff Taste of Summer - Probably my favorite of the aros. I was surprised to discover this, but it is tasty and an excellent change of pace.
    Lane 1Q - Decent, nice dry smoke, good "break-in" tobacco. Burns really well. I smoke this when I don't want to fuss throughout the smoke. It's very predictable in a good way.
    Dunhill Flake - Had one amazing bowl right out of tin, have been driving myself nuts trying to find the right amount of drying time, and packing method to get that first taste back again. Jury's still out.
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake - Didn't know there was latakia in it as it balances the sweetness nicely. I enjoyed it but don't think I'd buy it again at this time.
    Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - Dried out, as good as Dunhill Flake, but if this is all straight virginias have to offer, I'm still searching for my A+ tobacco. It's very good, enjoyable, but I think I'm looking for fuller flavor.
    Dunhill Night Cap
    Peterson 3P's Perfect Plug

As you can see, I started with some Aros. Based on some of the forums I trolled for widely agreed-upon/accepted, good smelling, tasty aros - I saw the name Molto Dolce and Lane 1Q keep coming up. They'd be good places to start for aromatics. I still enjoy them but since like you my background is mostly from cigars, the body of the smokes and flavor in general were not satisfying enough for me. I do like the sweetness in the aros (from the virginias and whatever crap they put in there) so I then turned my attention to Virginias. I wanted straight virginias, non-aromatic. This took me into Dunhill Flake and SG FVF. Again, both widely accepted and discussed as excellent exemplars of straight Virginias. Both very good. I still need to keep practicing to get the most out of them as I can but - I think I get the idea and again, I do like them & they do have more substance than the aros I've tried, but I'm missing the full body/flavor profile I've come to enjoy in cigars. My problem I think, is that I want the full body/flavor profile with the sweetness of the virginias. I don't like the experience where I feel like I'm smoking air with a faint taste of something sweet. I don't want to have to guess what it is I'm supposed to be experiencing when I smoke a pipe tobacco. I'm basically looking for a woman who will just tell me what she wants instead of having to guess, which almost always is wrong :). I need a rich, bold (possibly sweet if possible) pipe tobacco that makes no bones about what it is supposed to be. Still searching.

So, this took me to Dunhill NC and Peterson 3P's. Both good and much closer to what I'm looking for - but not exactly. If I knew what I was looking for BTW I wouldn't be so actively engaged in reading/posting in this part of PSF. I did post a request for suggestions HERE in this forum. I received some very good suggestions that were mostly specific to what I was asking for.

Based on the responses, my next move is to head into Virginia/Perique blends. I also got suggestions to possibly go down the Virginia/Burley road which I'll head to next after exploring a few recommended Vir/Per blends.

I hope this helps you shape some of the choices you'll be making in pipe tobaccos. Once you start figuring out what you like and what's missing from the profile of the smokes you do engage in, I think you'll find a lot of help here. Good luck and keep us posted!

15. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Coming from cigars I would recommend:

OTC Burley: Prince Albertor Carter Hall
    Premium Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake and if you want a LFD nic-hit try Irish Flake from Peterson
    Virginia: a red viginia like McClelland 5100 or McCranies Red Ribbon and a dark virginia flake like Astleys 44 or Sam Gawith FVF
    English: so many to choose from but try a lat bomb like Hermit's ten Russians or Pirate Kake if you can

16. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I echo the sentiments of everyone above who enjoys Key Largo, although I was not crazy about it at first, it has grown on me and I really enjoy it now.

Another blend with cigar leaf that I really enjoy and think you will as well is John Patton's Storm Front available from 4 Noggins. It is very earthy. It contains a high quality burley and cigar leaf and I believe that is all. The cigar leaf is condimental and adds just enough flavor to the typical blandness of the burley. I really enjoy this blend for a contemplative smoke. Give it a try, it is available in bulk and for a good price.

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I misunderstood where you were coming from . Your best bet is to start smoking all kinds of stuff . If you run across something you dont like ... you could trade it off here . You cant go wrong with the Benchmark blends such as Escudo [ Vaper ] , OGS [ Va ] , MB GE [ Burley ] , SWRA [ Aromatic ] .. as far as an " English " blend I guess Dunhill Stanard Mixture Medium is a benchmark , but I would suggest MB Solent Mixture as an intro to Latakia

remington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.