1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Noob with a question...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by James Harr, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harr

James Harr Member

Hello all, I am somewhat new to pipe smoking although I first started smoking pipes 10 years ago, I never really got serious about the hobby. However, I am now diving a little deeper. I have a pipe that I picked up from a street vendor in Moscow, Russia in 2004. I don't speak Russian, so I couldn't really ask much about it. If anyone has any ideas about the pipe, please chime in. Specifically, I have a question about a small metal piece that sits in the bit. What is it and do I need to keep it in there? It seems like about half way through a bowl, it starts to gurgle and I think this piece might be trapping moisture. Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That metal thing looks like some kind of condensor - I'd bet the pipe smokes better without it.

TRAVIS likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yes, take that metal piece out.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's a cool looking pipe! ..

5. James Harr

James Harr Member

Thanks, it will come out tonight. Unfortunately, it will have to wait on the smoke test since my new Peterson smooth calabash will be delivered today along with some C&D Epiphany.
    I think I paid around 1000R which comes in just over $30US. It is more sentimental than the 'perfect' smoker, but I still like to take it out once in a while.

спасибо!

6. Dimm

Dimm Member

Yeah I bought some older pipes in a lot recently and two of them had these in there. Whatever their function was I chucked them out and they smoke great without them. Does anyone know what the purpose of these is? Is it to condense moisture?

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'd bet that pipe is pear wood. It looks a lot like the carved pear pieces coming out of Ukraine now. As others have said you should try smoking without the metal thingie. It was probably a gimmick intended to prevent drawing ash or to reduce moisture in the smoke. It's almost certainly counterproductive.
    Neat pipe, neat story :)

8. user2460

user2460 Member

James Harr and Kiowapipe like this.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Yep...that's called a "stinger" and is *supposed* to keep moisture OUT of your smoke. In my experience, just the opposite happens....ditch it!

10. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I say lose the metal bit, but also make sure you "sip" the pipe when you smoke, the harder you draw the hotter it burns and this can create a gurgle. You might already know this but just in case, now you won't have to ask later if it still gurgles. ;) That's a sweet looking pipe they way, I like it, enjoy, and happy piping! :puffy:

11. James Harr

James Harr Member

Smoking Gun,

Thanks for the link. There are pipes on there that look VERY similar to mine, definitely the same maker. I might just have to get another one or three to add to the collection! ;)

The metal bit is gone. I'll light 'er up tonight.

Does anyone else smoke pear root wood pipes? I imagine it is a good choice for carving, but maybe not for smoking.

12. user2460

user2460 Member

No problem :)

I only have briar and cobs, so I can't help you there, sorry.

13. James Harr

James Harr Member

I loaded her up with Epiphany and I have to say, that is the best smoke I have ever had out of this pipe. That metal thing was definitely causing moisture issues. Thanks for the tips!

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

You are welcome sir. Glad it's working well for you.
    No experience with pear wood, but have read that others have had good....and bad....experiences. I guess it all depends on the carver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.