1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Nose Warmer-vs.-Pocket pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Looking at the other thread, and article about nose warmers--well I own a couple shortys-Boswells, and gotta admitt the kinda squashed up look that kinda takes these little rascals out of normal pipe proporsions they kinda grab my eye. Also I have seen some pocket pipes that were done with great detail---just a small version of a normal pipe---even freehand ones. My question is a simple one---Do you like, own, enjoy, or collect the little fellas, and whats your over all opinion.???? For me, and I don't, or can't explain it---these darn little rascals seem to call my name from time to time when a certain one grabs my eye.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Never heard of a nosewarmer. Do you think they will catch on?:rolleyes:

Seriously now. I started my modification thing doing standard length cobs. A member of another forum asked me to make him a corn cob nosewarmer. After his initial try, he proclaimed it to be the "honeymoon sex of pipe smoking". Well, I just had to try one myself. I really like it. Since I am a clencher, there is a lot less jaw fatigue. And even with the shallow dip of a MM cob, even a General does not get in the way. About 1/2 of my cobs are now nosewarmers. I have never tried a briar nosewarmer. It might be something I would see if Sasquatch might be interested in trying.

Spillproof likes this.
  3. John Long

John Long Member

I bought a basket nosewarmer years ago just to get a feel for one before plunking down serious cash. It seemed awkward, or novel for lack of better terms.

4. Russell Hartman

I will admitt the ones I have looked at--although artistic, and unique that grabbed my eye--well once I actually got a close look, and feel the balance was something I did not care for. One recently the bowl shape was so wild that the wall thickness of the bowl was not uniform all the way around. The question entered my mind as to whether a pipe bowl that is much thinner in one area verses the other side---would it cause issues with heat transfer that could perhaps cause a crack down the road? I don't know--it was just a thought. The shape caught my eye, and I got to thinking---I wonder if the bowl would eventually crack, perhaps not burn even. Most likely it wouldn't, but it was just a stupid thought that crossed my mind. Also some of them really fetch a pretty good price. Figured I could grab a regular pipe as far as dimensions, and artistic appearence, and engineering for what some of these little rascals are going for. Oh--well--it was just a thought.

5. Russell Hartman

An example of bowl/wall thickness being thinn
    [​IMG]
    er in one place.

6. Russell Hartman

Folks I am looking for feed back, and opinions on the opinion that perhaps a pipe that has a thinner area in the bowl kinda like the one above---will it cause problems, or am I just being an idiot. By the way---The pipe I pictured is not mine---I used the bowl as an example. That pipe is a pocket size pipe in which i have no intentions of buying---just using the picture as a way to describe what I was thinking. I am in NO WAY critisizing the pipe in the picture. I am NOT trying to defame, nor speak badly of the work done by the carver. It is VERY important to me to let ALL know that I am NOT pointing this pipe out as something unworthy of ownership, or smoking----PLEASE DO NOT take the fact that I used the picture to describe my question as a thought that I am saying that the pipe in the picture is flawed. I just seen that picture, and thought that it was exactly as a bowl configuration that was in my head as far as being thinner on one side.

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I don't think you are being an idiot at all. Intuitively, or minds tell us that pipe is "wrong" because we have been conditioned to think that pipes should be basically symmetrical. Not being a physicist or engineer, I can only offer my opinion. If the "thin" spot on that pipe is sufficiently thick enough there should be no problem. Of course if some one were to smoke it like a steam engine, well, that's a diferent kettle of fish. But this is just a personal opinion. Another personal opinion, I don't like that pipe. Of course a lot of that is do to my cob and meer bias. But even meers I buy as standard shapes. But if that pipe appeals to someone, they should buy it and not worry to much about the shape.

8. Russell Hartman

DGErwin11------------thanks for your input. I was surfing the site in which that pipe is on. I happened upon it--looked at its dimensions, and said to myself------thats a pipe gone horrifically wrong. SAD--forgive me for being so judgemental---I can't help it. I also looked at the price, and thought--you gotta be kidding. Granted it may find a home, and grab someones eye. For me though--due to its small nature, and bowl it got my mind wondering---basically---What went wrong there. I like All pipes as far as size, but that one seemed to say to me----OH GOD----just put me in the wood stove.:shead::(

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

When I make a pipe (and I'm not saying I do that well), I try very hard to make the bowl wall uniform in thickness (though some taper towards the rim is common). That is something the "real" pipe guys drive home a lot.

Having said that, I own a couple of older pipes that have very wacky walls... including a Preben Holm free-hand sandblast from the 70's (love 'em or hate 'em, I have one). It was well loved (*very used) by the time I got it and there are no problems with cracking at any thinner point. Whoever owned it before me did there very best to burn it to a crisp, and it still smokes just fine. That's about all I can add. Credit Preben. Credit the briar. I dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.