not really getting a buzz, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by trentongm, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trentongm

trentongm Member

i'm still pretty new to smoking. i'm just a little past three weeks. today i was smoking a good cigar and i noticed that it was really calming me down. i know that the effects of nicotine from pipes is suppose to be much less than what you would get from a cigarette, but i can smoke three bowls in a row and feel almost nothing. i've had some decent cigars, but the only pipe tobacco's i've had are house blends and some Prince Albert.

i never retrohale with cigars because i cant handle the burn, but i retrohale pipe smoke all the time. i know some people use pipes to help stop cigarettes, but i can't even really feel nicotine unless i'm smoking a cigar and i don't see how pipes could do anything for cigarette cravings. i tend to puff on my pipes less deeply than on my cigars, so that might contribute.

my first time smoking was last fourth of july, i got that sort of calm feeling but didn't get a headache or nausea like you hear with a lot of 'first cigar' stories. most of my family smokes and i've breathed in a lot of second-hand over the years. i guess it's also possible that my body isn't as affected as it would be if i hadn't been around smoke.

i read that different types of tobacco have different nicotine contents, with burley usually being the highest. i've heard people say in threads that plain burleys like PA will really get to them. i can(and do) smoke multiple bowls of it and be fine.

i'm mostly just curious about whether or not it's normal to be a little affected by cigars and not really affected by pipes at all. could it be the way i smoke? the tobacco's i smoke? do i just have a strong tolerance towards nicotine? if anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

2. KevinP

KevinP Member

Very normal. Many pipe smokers, such as myself, try to avoid the nicotine hit.

It can be the tobacco you smoke and the way you smoke, as you suggest. When I smoke something that's likely to give me that hit, I smoke much slower. (That shouldn't be taken as a suggestion to smoke faster, as you could bite your tongue or even ruin your pipe.) So if you're trying to get a hit, I'm one of the last people who should be guiding you, but I can answer your question that it's perfectly normal. Some blends are very low, practically non-existent in fact, on the nicotine hit level. I'm not familiar with Price Albert to say where it is on that scale.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A lot of pipe tobaccos have very little nicotine, particularly aromatics. See Mark's post above and try some of those. Many pipe tobaccos are stronger than cigars in the nic department - you just have to find the right one.

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Smoking on an empty stomach, will make you more susceptible to nicotine.

6. trentongm

trentongm Member

thanks for the comments. i'm not looking to get loaded with nicotine, i'm mostly just curious as to why some people say pipes can really affect them but that never happens to me.

7. RS422

RS422 Member

Get some GH ropes. They have lots of nicotine.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Never say never.....young weedhopper.......;)

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Seek the bottom of the bowl..........

10. colemate

colemate Member

Good cigars are very costly but unbeatable in their own way. To just pick up a pipe and start smoking is very difficult. You need someone to kinda guide you. It is about taste and not just nic, and getting good taste takes some technique. It is relaxing. There was a fellow on here named "falconeer" who posted great many suggestions about technique with a very pleasant way of helping others. Capital fellow, and his postings can be found somehow in the archives of PSF. They are better than any book I ever read on the subject. I learned a lot. Hope this helps a bit. Cole

MacNutz and Jesla like this.
  11. 50rayj

50rayj Member

Erinmore Mixture more so than the flake seem to give a pretty good nic hit. First time I smoked it I got a little dizzy, which was really surprising to me, didn't expect it . Most of what I've smoked have been aromatics especially the heavily topped ones so I was really not getting much nicotine. Can't really say I like the feeling. I can do without the extra nicotine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.