Not sure I'm worthy enough....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Butts, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butts

Butts Member

I got bored today and cleaned out the garage. I smoked pipe on and off for the last 10 years. I was going thru my tool box and found a "Bright Leaf" briar, a small meerschaum and another really small briar I kept in my overalls on jobs when you could smoke.

Well I have started smoking a pipe again and I love it! The problem is websites like this one, but the more a read I might be missing out. Custom carved briars, aged flakes, etc... Am I wrong for loving a MM cob and some Carl Hall?

I know I can be cheap. I drove a car for 19 years and 250,00 miles, only had 2 kids and have not traded in the wife yet (I have had her for 27 years). I drink cheap Vodka. Tequila and Whisky. Oh and PBR beer.

Am I going to be happy with my cobs and some Hall or should I start spending my retirement on some new pipes and tobacco?

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Nothing wrong with cobs and Carter Hall. The simpler the better.

soonersoftail and sillyoldbear like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

If you're not happy, then you're doing it wrong...

4. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

I appreciate your thread.
    11+ years of owning a pipe and I'm learning more everyday on here.

I say you do what makes you happy, but I will say just reading what everyone here has to say has advance my knowledge way faster than I could ever learn on my own, and allowed me to enjoy my pipe much more.

Ive never stayed an active reader of a forum like I have here, psf seems like home as everyone gets along around here.

Anyways welcome back to your pipe smoking, and keep up drinking the good drinks, plastic bottle liquor and pbr are my choices as well

5. muddler

muddler Member

Whatever works for you is right. The only wrong answer is to be a wannabe pipe smoker. Find where you're comfortable & enjoy it. It's only pipe smoking after all, not life & death.

Snake, WalkinStick, aggman and 5 others like this.
  6. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

It really depends what you want to do. If you're happy with CH and cobs, that's as good and worthy as anything else pipe smoking can throw at you. The problem with missing out is that, not matter how much you try and catch up, the hobby is so big and wide you'll always be missing out on something. Satisfying a little curiosity though, trying something you've not tried before just to do something a little unusual and expand your horizons, that's something different. I find that, every so often, I get a little bored with what I've got and look for something different, whether it's trying plugs or looking up estate pipes on ebay, that works for me. If CHAC (CH and Cobs) works for you, that's something to celebrate. If you fancy something else, dip your toe in the pond and give it a go.

7. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

"Smoke what you like and like what you smoke".

If you enjoy Carter Hall in a cob then smoke Carter Hall in a cob. If you feel like you want to try more, that's okay too, but you don't need spend your retirement on it.

Go to 4noggins.com, have a look at the Dr Grabow, Medico, and Brindisi pipes, then grab a 4boggins bulk sampler and use the code PSF when you checkout. You can get a great smoking briar pipe and a selection of damn fine tobaccos for around $40USD excl shipping.

8. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I agree with all of the above replies.
    I'll add that I smoke Cobs almost exclusively, and many of my favorite tobaccos are considered "cheap" OTC blends.
    The thing is, for me, nothing beats a cob. And OTC tobaccos (Carter Hall etc.) are timeless classics that many, many people enjoy.

Experimentation is lots of fun, and I frequently try new tobaccos, but please don't feel like you're missing out on anything.

9. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Exactly the same for me :th1:

10. soonersoftail

soonersoftail Member

I haven't been here long but I'm seeing this too.

11. craig

craig Active Member

If you are enjoying the cobs and carter hall keep at it.
    I went through a phases were i thought i was missing out and buying every new tobacco i could lay my hands on.
    But i came to a problwm the amount of tobacco i hadcompared to the amount i actually smoke didnt add up and quite a bit went dry on me and was unsmokeable.
    I found what worked for me and stuck at it.
    Sure giving into curiosity from time to time is nice and a nice treat but i now limit myself from buying too much.
    Sure aged flakes can be a stunning revelation but its best to stick at what you know and love in my oppinion

WalkinStick likes this.
  12. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

I look down my nose at Carter Hall. That's the only way I can get my cob lit. Some fancy-schmancy burley is good for a treat though.

ChristTiger likes this.
  13. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

What is your goal? Do you want to smoke a pipe just for the personal enjoyment? Or to wow the members here with your vast array of oipes and tobacco?

If it just enjoyment, I get as much enjoyment from CH in a cob as berg does from Penzance in a $300.00 BST. A real pipe smoker is a person who puts tobacco in some kind of pipe and smokes it.

14. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Pretty much my take on the topic, I prefer cobs and OTCs and I'm perfectly content...

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke

Ephraim likes this.
  15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

An MM Cob and Carter Hall are the foundations of our universe. Light up my Friend, light up.

ChristTiger, mitchell and sarge564 like this.
  16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Aw c'mon, buy more pipes!
    You know you want to...

17. esteban

esteban Active Member

buy more pipes, you deserve them, its fun......

Shatteredzen and WalkinStick like this.
  18. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I believe the most important thing is "what works for you/makes you happy." I'd say you're fine :D

19. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Buddy you ain't cheap! Carter Hall in a cob is one of life's great pleasures! Add a cuppa coffee and you have breakfast.

rigormootis, WalkinStick and Kayla like this.
  20. Benton629

Benton629 Member

The simplicity of a cob and Carter Hall is lost on some people.
    It is for your pleasure, not what others want.
    Enjoy.

Kayla and RTOdhner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.