Not sure I'm worthy enough....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Butts, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

It seems almost redundant for me to reply. Buuuuut.... I would just emphasize that it's about what you like... or what you *think* you might like. Don't try something cuz other ppl are. Try it if you're curious and want to find out.

mitchell likes this.

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

You know what you like--stick with it, or try other stuff. So long as you dont loose sight of it making you happy. I love carter hall in a cob, but I also love virginia/perique blends in a meer. I dont stray too far from either. My bank account stays in the green, and I stay happy. So does the wife, no TAD or PAD to upset that.

mitchell likes this.
  3. Marker

Marker Active Member

CH in a cob works well. Heck, look at DGE and your avatar pictures. You both look giddy as schoolgirls. Can't get much better than that.

Pipe smoking is about enjoying what you are doing. Don't let others tell you what you should enjoy.

jdto, WalkinStick and mitchell like this.
  4. Butts

Butts Member

Marker, really a school girl? My wife complains I never smile in pictures.

jdto and mitchell like this.
  5. Marker

Marker Active Member

Wives are always 100% correct. Even when they are 90% wrong. In this case she might be in the uncommon 10% actually correct category.

Keep smoking the cob. If you want samples of some other odds and ends to try let us know.

jdto, mitchell and Raffxr7 like this.
  6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I do not do giddy. :old:

7. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

What everyone else said. Took me awhile to find a tobacco I really like and wanted to smoke everyday. It happens to C&D 5 o'clock shadow. The wife complains it's too expensive but it's still cheaper and lasts longer than a carton of cigs. So smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Enjoy.

8. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I've been talking with an ol boy that has been enjoying Middleton's Cherry in old broken down pipes for 40 years, he seems happy. He does enjoy some of my Virginia samples but he is content with his Middleton's.

BernardLerring likes this.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

As a man of almost 72 years, a pipe smoker of 56, and a haunter of forums for about 10, my advice to you is........

RUN AWAY!!!

Get as FAR as you can...as FAST as you can!!!

These forums will suck you in with visions of intricately carved and embellished incinerators of tobacco, and mysteriously ancient and inviting tobacco blends, touted as the ambrosia of the Gods!

Oh yeah....welcome to the forum. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....enjoy your simple cobs and burleys, that's what it's all about anyhow....LOL LOL!!!

jdto, CptBeefheart, mitchell and 2 others like this.
  10. Butts

Butts Member

T-bear, thanks for the advice but its too late. Been with her for 30 years.

jdto and mitchell like this.
  11. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

There are 2 rules you must adhere to if you're going to be a pipe smoker.
    Rule #1: Enjoy smoking your pipe.
    Rule #2: See Rule #1.

mitchell likes this.
  12. mongo

mongo Active Member

Butts.... WELCOME! If your avatar is a pic of you.... then I have some serious moooosetache envy!
    I agree with most of what you said, the car, kids and wife thing.... BUT, I have to disagree with you on the cheap booze thing. I have examples of Vodka, Tequilla and Whiskey that are somewhat cheap, but GOOD. Life is TOO DAMN SHORT to drink cheap and BAD booze. PBR is OK.... there is better, but PBR is definitely drinkable. And Yes... Carter Hall in a Cob, as long as it is a Missouri Meerschaum Cob, is definitely OK.

PM me on the cheap and good vodka/tequilla/whiskey if you want my opinion....

13. Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng Member

Nothing is right, nothing is wrong...

Nothing is wrong with cob... The most important thing in Pipe Smoking is you enjoy the smoke...
    Why do you need to spend extra money on need fancy branded pipes if you have the same enjoyment on a cob?

If you do have extra fund, don't mind getting a good briar pipe... but spend wisely...

14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The questions about being happy with it and or spending on new pipes and tobacco is strictly up to you. Sir Walter Raleigh, closely followed by Carter Hall are my most frequently smoked blends, day after day. I grew up around men who only had one or two pipes and Always smoked the same thing.

I love living in a time when there is access to so many different blends. I don't collect pipes, for me they are mostly just tobacco burners. although I do appreciate the fascination for the different forms, styles, and carvers that so many pipers have. There are a couple of low priced Petes I would love to have but I don't need them to get what I want from the pipe.
    That, I think , is the big thing. Are you getting what you want from it? Nothing else really matters

15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Oh, and welcome aboard.

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

No. Sounds to me like you've got it right if it works for you.

This pipe smoking thing is all about enjoyment. Sure it's fun to collect pipes and cellar tobacco, but that is mostly the hobby aspect of the whole thing. Just how many pipes do you really need, and just how exotic do you really need to go on the tobacco? As long as they work, I'm gonna say all you really need is a couple of pipes. As long as you enjoy it, seems to me that Carter Hall is just as good as anything else. I love my Falcons and Sir Walter Raleigh. I'd miss my other pipes and cellar of tobacco if they disappeared tomorow, but if all I could have was my Falcons and SWR then I could still happily puff away and not really miss any of the rest of it all. (However, I might be a little ticked if I got to calculating just how much money those now non existant pipes and cellar of tobacco were worth).

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sounds like my late Uncle Danny. He never owned more than two cobs at any one time, and only smoked Velvet (mostly) or Granger. He smoked a pipe for well over 50 years under such primtive conditions, and was perfectly content.

18. Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs Member

Pipe smokeing is a personal thing..Everyone is different thats why we have Fords Chevys Dodges ect
    and God knows how many different pipes and tobaccos
    Try a few and keep what you like Lately I buy in bulk
    I store it in quart Ball jars ..fill the jar ..lightly pack it set it in hot water about an inch below the top when it warms up seal the lid it will keep for years
    Even Carter Hall is too pricey these days
    I have several cobs and some nice brires..pipes are tools ..The smokeing lamp is Lit..burn some tobacco !

sillyoldbear likes this.
  19. moosecop

moosecop Member

Well I got a confession to make.. I got 3 cobs sitting here and never have smoked them.. Because I have a serious overbite I have cracked some briar stems and just putting cobs in my mouth makes me think they are gonna crack, and something else every farm guy around here I have seen smoking a cob is missing teeth and doesnt give me a good impression of pipe smoking..now I know that is not true of the majority on here because I have seen there pics.
    When I got into this years ago I decided to do what I thought was right. I bought a book ( I think R Hackers) .. did some reading and bought some Uhles stuff and a 40 buck pipe..As I continued to experiment I found I like Virginias and Virginia based aros.. Also because of inner ear issues and allergies I learned I needed to stick to Light to Medium Blends..I hate feeling more light headed than I already am..I have about 20 pipes from 30 to 175 bucks..I cant ever remember buying any otc blends.. Mostly Bulks and Tins..But you must know I am a single guy who can buy what I want when I want and and spend money as I want.. I have my house paid for, pay my credit cards in full each month and have no debt. I know many of you are married and have kids and cant do that. I know the trade off and especially at this time I year I wish I had a family and that bonding and traditions...but it is what it is;
    I only smoke from 1 to 3 bowls at the most a day.. have for many years, but not as much in the summer. After joining this forum and reading the posts I probably will go the other direction and try some cobs and otcs.. but I think guys who spend there whole life smoking cobs and the same otc probably are missing something and should at least try to move up with an estate pipe and some samples from members here..Im not writing this to sound snobby..just pointing out me and my thoughts..

Kayla and BernardLerring like this.
  20. moosecop

moosecop Member

I think of this as food..you can eat at mcdonalds and be happy or try different cusines and experiment and find something else you really like.. yea its more expensive but you dont do it all the time

Kayla and BernardLerring like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.